365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Is this industry going the way of the TV repairman of the past.  (Read 268 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Could this be true?

With retail prices of control boards reaching $300-$400 range I have to wonder.
Even what I would call common parts are getting up their in price to where consumers are deciding to purchase new instead of repairing.

Reminded me of this topic.
$160 hi limit thermostat on ge dryer WTF?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Is this industry going the way of the TV repairman of the past.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »
No. That said we are going to have to adjust in the way we get work. We may have to deal with more warranty company's than we have in the past and we are going to have to shop for parts with on line sources for the best prices. I also believe sending boards for repair will become more common. And we are going to have to become more familiar with the newer electrical , commonly referred to as DC power and frequency. With the newer appliances that are coming out being so energy efficient , there are so many things going wrong with them it is silly.The work will be there , how we line it up will be are key. We will need to be able to do diagnostic fast and accurately. Think back, a lot of the older units hardly ever had issues, well built and easy to repair. A least on the most common issues. On the newer ones way more issues and not as well built and more issues. We used to put a ad in the phone book and toss out a few cards and work came in, seems things are changing. We will need to change also, but the work will be there . Just my thoughts, that said I work for a large company that does a lot of warrenty work. However that will change in the next two months and I will get to see first hand if my thoughts are correct ??? :popcorn:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 10:14:34 AM »
Better keep yer day job. LOL
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Is this industry going the way of the TV repairman of the past.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »
I can get you a job tbereJW they happen to have some openings lol

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »
However that will change in the next two months and I will get to see first hand if my thoughts are correct

Good luck, well be here for ya.  O0

Offline ohmslaw

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
I work for a larger servicer that does TV and appliances on site (and a million other things in shop) and I have been in the TV repair business for 18 years and still counting. The main thing that affected the TV business was units going to "board level" repair. This meant that instead of having to know how to troubleshoot electronic circuits to the component level, ie, bad transistor, capacitor, leaky diode, etc. You could get by by being a low paid parts changer. This is when the best buys and A&E's of the world began TV repair and rates began to fall. It wasn't that the parts became too expensive, but rather that boards became cheaper, causing many of those who have the skill to repair boards to exit the industry.

Also, TV's are now a technology driven product (like a laptop), whereas people used to expect to keep their TV for 20+ years of service, now want to stay current by buying new about every 5 years.  That said, we still do a lot of TV work, but mostly warranty.

Appliances are a bit different, because although some companies want to try to attract customers with technology (look at Samsung's WIFI washer with LCD Display for an example), most people still are just looking for simple, reliable products that perform a given task, are easy to use, perform well, and look nice. Once they are happy with the above, they usually have no strong incentive to upgrade or buy new. A lot of things drive repair as an option, like having to deal with matching other appliances, hassle and cost of install, time invested in research and shopping and also risk of buying something that does not perform as well as what they had before.

The problem with GE is they want to price parts so high that they make the majority of any profit that exists in an appliance repair transaction. It can be tempting to lower the labor a bit when the parts are outrageously priced...just to keep the job. Isn't it?

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
I cant see someone scrapping a refer over a bi metal not closing or a dryer having an element go. But this is me! ;D

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »
I find it very hard to believe that people will want to control their appliances over a smart phone or on the internet.  I just went to a class to learn about the latest LG top load washer that has wifi capabilities.  Now I have to become an I.T. person along with appliance repairs. 

Just when I was getting comfortable with LE and tE error codes, now I have to learn IT error codes as well.   :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:19:30 AM by wildimaginations »
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:02:37 AM »
Doing this since 1975 ....4 more years until retirement .If I were just starting out I would specialize it the very high end appliance .No future in repairing the inexpensive stuff ,replacement parts and labour are just to high .

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 08:40:32 AM »
Speaking for myself,  I think their is plenty of room still for repairs.    Board level, I will agree with some boards so expensive,   people opt to replace,  but not all people are rich.   And,  I am very good at explaining to people why they should keep their old washers and not buy new.    In 10 years from now,  we'll see.    but there is still plenty of work out there the way I see it.   At least here from my view.   I am busier than I have ever been.   And, with a 3000 electrolux oven,  you'll put in a 300 board,  not replace.   Even a KA dishwasher,  I put in a good deal of motor kits.   Some people hate the hassle of buying new,  would just rather repair. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Collecting on past due bills?

Started by AJ

Replies: 17
Views: 190
Last post May 21, 2011, 11:01:01 AM
by PARTech
Appliance repair industry in decline