Author Topic: Maytag Atlantis stopped during rinse cycle, now completely dead  (Read 2047 times)

Offline DrPop

• VIP Member
We just moved into a condo we are renting from a friend, and she has a nice looking Maytag Atlantis washer and dryer set installed.  Long story short, we were able to run a few loads of laundry through with no problems.  On the 4th load, the wash cycle went fine, but suddenly the washer stopped right after it filled the tub with rinse water.  There is water in the tub still, although we removed the clothes.

Model number is: Maytag  Atlantis MAV6200AWW and serial number is: 20101484ZD

Browsing through some posts here, I have tried resetting the washer by leaving it unplugged for several hours and then plugging back in.  We have tried every setting on the timer/mode selection knob, pushing it in and pulling it out.  I have also tried pushing a flat screw driver in where the little plastic piece on the lid goes in to a sensor, but nothing seems to change, the machine is completely dead. Just to check, I plugged something into the plugin and it works, there is still power to the plugin so nothing seems tripped in the house circuit.  Also, we did not smell any burning or electrical failure type smell when it happened.

There are no sounds coming out of the timer dial when pulled out, and I can move the tub side to side very easily inside, although to spin the tub either clockwise or counterclockwise requires a bit of force.  Not sure if that is normal or not.
Would it possibly be the timer/ mode selection switch has gone bad all of a sudden or would it more likely be something else?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!  Being it's our friend's washer, we'd like to help fix it for her if we can. :-)
Sincerely,
 Jed

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair

Offline DrPop

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Atlantis stopped during rinse cycle, now completely dead
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply.  I think it could be the lid switch like you suggest, however I found the schematic folded up in the back of the washer when I took it apart.  Looks like even with the lid open, the loop is closed to the machine side.  Only the motor loop is broken/open when the lid is up.
So wouldn't that most likely mean the machine should to everything except engage the spin motor when the lid sensor goes out?  That makes me think it could be the electronic timer unit, which is unfortunate because it's more expensive for sure. :-(
Thanks for your help,
Jed

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »

You said it filled with water and then stopped. The next step is agitation. The motor has to run for both agitation and spin. If the lid switch has failed, the motor won't run and the timer won't advance.

Eric

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
I agree. Lid switch.

Offline DrPop

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
OK, thanks guys.  I wasn't meaning to argue, I was just perplexed why it wouldn't work in any other mode.  For example, if the schematic shows that there is always a closed loop to the machine, even when the lid is open, it makes me think it should work in some other mode that doesn't use the motor.  But this is great - I just put an order in for the lid switch, and if that fixes it I'll be very happy!  O0

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »
  The only mode that doesn't use the motor is fill. Your washer filled. It's possible and most likely that it is the lid switch, but it could also be the timer, motor, speed switch (depending on cycle selected) or faulty wiring. You didn't say if you tried going direct to drain/spin. If drain/spin works, but not agitation, you could have a bad pressure switch.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:15:46 PM by fairbank56 »

Maytag atlantis intermittently halts prior to rinse cycle

Started by jdub39

Replies: 2
Views: 398
Last post May 21, 2014, 10:47:12 PM
by romanowski72
Maytag MAH4000 does not go into Rinse-Cycle Intermittent-Issue

Started by granaudio

Replies: 4
Views: 5726