Author Topic: Tech Tip: Samsung FL Washers Not Spinning  (Read 2047 times)

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Tech Tip: Samsung FL Washers Not Spinning
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »
SAMSUNG BRANDED FL WASHERS

MODELS: All Samsung FL Washers

ISSUE: The washer will not go into a High Speed Spin when in a cycle but it will in the diagnostic test mode.

EXPLANATION: If the washer will not go into a high speed spin when running a cycle, but it will in the diagnostic test mode. Be aware the control is not looking at the Pressure Switch feedback into the control before going into a spin. If this is the case; then you should first look for either an issue with an out-of-balance load, overloading, unleveled washer, or oversudsing. Even if you cannot visually see suds in the washer drum due to the low water usage, there can easily be enough suds located inside the outer tub, hoses and pump that can cause the pressure switch to sense oversudsing. Run the diagnostic frequency test on the pressure sensor to confirm the pressure sensor is not at fault.

NOTE 1: If the washer spins in the test mode the Control Board is good.

NOTE 2: Use the 2+2+2 rule; use no more than 2 Tablespoons of Detergent, Bleach, and Softener
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
Re: Tech Tip: Samsung FL Washers Not Spinning
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
Have you ever run into the situation where the Samsung washer will struggle to get into a high speed spin? Almost it feels like it is missing a gear. I was working on a Samsung washer this afternoon and the machine was shaking violently as it tried to start a high speed spin. I actually had to hold the tub to prevent it from banging against the cabinet. Once I stabilized it it went into a High Speed Spin. Floor was level, machine was level but it shook like an earth quake.

I was wondering if the rps sensor is going bad or could this be a water level switch issue. There was nothing in the tub when I was testing it?

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »
It could be a bad VRT balance ring on the back of the basket. Those washers will shake for a few seconds, balance out, then go to hi spin.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:10 PM »
<<<Have you ever run into the situation where the Samsung washer will struggle to get into a high speed spin?>>>

Mucho umpteen times:)

The vast majority of these will be due to excessive overuse of detergent.

Suds will form inside the Pressure Switch dome & tube---Main Board "thinks" water has not completely drained.

As a result---the drain motor continues to run---while the tub slowly tumbles (waiting for the green light for wide open throttle). Display clock stalls at or around 12 minutes remaining.

Additionally...

Certain older Samsung washers with the VRT (Vibration Reduction Technology) feature can abort the spin cycle---if the temperature in the laundry room is too cold.

This was caused by the Main Board "defaulting" on attempting to enter the high speed spin portion of the cycle---due to the Balance Ring ***oil*** thickening (cold).

The correction was to modify the software---to simply allow a longer period of attempting to balance. More time to allow the small steel ball bearings within the Balance Ring(s) to move/travel to the correct position within the ring(s).

Once this occurs---the tub stabilizes somewhat---then the Main Board gives the "go command" for high speed spin.

PITA to know/remember this stuff---ain't it?  :)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
Is the remedy to replace balance ring or RINGS (2) or replace the board. I'm sure they probably update the software on the new boards correct?

Thank You for the info. 1st time I'm getting into the VRT Samsung's. Done many Samsungs but no VRT's with Balance Rings.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »
<<<Is the remedy to replace balance ring or RINGS (2) or replace the board>>>

Replacing the MAIN BOARD resolved the * no spin* complaints (on certain Samsung models---not all).

Again---this symptom was usually seen during the winter months---in cold laundry rooms.

The trend today---is to design MAIN BOARDS with capability of changing/altering software (versions) if needed---by reflashing---using a "jig" and/or WiFi method.

By the way---what was the resolution/answer in this old thread?...

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=10933.0

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
Sorry but was re-reading posts and found I failed to post the results.

I replaced both Balance Rings that attached to the Inner Tub on Front and Back with New and this solved the problem. Still trying to find out what's wrong with the old and different with the new? Is it added water or less water inside the new balance rings? I'll do some research and gram weight them out and see if they differ. It has to be something they changed. There was no Physical damage with the old that I took off. I'll let you know.

Tech Sheet or Service Manual Need for Samsung WA456DRHDWR

Started by Blaiser

Replies: 8
Views: 666
Last post September 17, 2014, 05:39:00 PM
by Blaiser
Water Collecting in Boot on Select Frigidaire Front-Load Washers

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 4844
Last post August 05, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
by Cananot