365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts††††Dryer Parts††††Refrigerator Parts††††Dishwasher Parts††††Range & Oven Parts††††All Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Fixed a Frigidaire stack washer with very strange symptoms today  (Read 95 times)

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
Fixed a Frigidaire stack washer with very strange symptoms today
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
I am the fifth tech this customer had out to repair this issue and it is the second trip for me. The first time it didnít do anything unusual and that is what the first four techs said. (customer didnít have a good description of what it was doing wrong).  However this time it reared its ugly head in front of me.

Turned it on and it start filling and agitating at the same time then once the water got to the correct level the motor made a noise as if it were stalled then quickly overheated tripping the overload.
After the motor cooled it turned I to spin and the motor overheated again.

When the motor cooled this time it just so happen the lid was open and the motor ran fine (but the lid was open). Then I
Closed the lid and the motor made that noise so I quickly open the lid to avoid the motor overheating again.
So basically the motor runs anytime the timer knob is pulled out but quickly overheats anytime the washer calls for the motor to run.

At this point I stared at the wiring diagram for seemingly 45 minutes. After I snapped out of that I decided to pull the cover off the motor and do some checks. With the cover off the motor the washer worked fine.
Finally I looked back and saw that all the wires that come down to the motor are laid across the spring. After looking at the wires very hard I finally found a nick in the wire that feeds the motor neutral for slow speed. So the motor was getting neutral through ground to make the motor run then when the hi speed neutral kicked in it over heated the motor.       
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:49:17 PM by ryan111 »
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Video: Funny how I fixed my leaky Frigidaire top load washer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 1846
Last post January 11, 2012, 04:30:02 AM
by haroldsappliance
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 9298
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
Kenmore (frigidaire?) washer 417.29042991 No Spin - drains fine

Started by ratt2581

Replies: 1
Views: 7418
Last post September 21, 2007, 09:44:54 PM
by AJ
frigidaire front load washer