Author Topic: GE Top Load washer does not spin after draining out water  (Read 1080 times)

Offline eaglefly001

• VIP Member
Model Number:  WCSR2070T 
Brand: GE

My GE Top Load washer does not spin after draining out water. It agitates okay. I have opened the front panel to take a look. The motor pulley is very hot. When I run the spin cycle, most times, only the center axis of the motor pulley moves, not the motor pulley or the belt. Very few times, the motor pulley and the basket move too. Not consistent at all.

The belt looks quite good. I manually pulled the belt. In one direction, I could move the agitator. In the other direction, it was harder to move, but I could still move the basket.

Thanks a lot in advance for your input and help.

Offline eaglefly001

• VIP Member
Re: GE Top Load washer does not spin after draining out water
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
I did more research online and I really want to highlight that in the spin mode, the center axis of the motor is moving, while the motor pulley and the belt are not. You know there is a pin at the bottom of the axis so I can easily tell it's spinning. Does that point to a definite problem in the motor clutch? If the motor clutch is functioning, is it possible that the axis spins while the pulley does not? Thanks for your input. I am a novice, so please don't laugh at me if I am so wrong.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »
It may need a clutch, WH5X253, but more than likely the roll pin on the end of the motor shaft has sheared off.  In that case you will need a new motor, WH49X10035.  It might be time to give it a proper burial.

Offline eaglefly001

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
Thanks for your help, tgoods.

I'll try to take the clutch down tomorrow to take a look. However, there is one thing I don't understand. If the roll pin is bad, how come it only affects one direction? It should affects both directions, meaning both agitation and basket spin. Please let me know if you think my point is valid.

Thanks again.

Offline eaglefly001

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »
Update: I just took down the motor clutch. No obvious problem as long as I could tell. Nothing appeared worn out. I cleaned and lubricated the clutch and put everything back, but the problem is still the same. I realized the clutch really can spin without the outer drum, which connects to the belt. Even when I rotated the center part together with the clutch in my palm after taking it down from the motor, the drum didn't have to rotate together. Why is it designed like that? Now I understand why the center axis spins without the drum/belt. Because they are designed to be separate. I am not a mechanic after all. Why it's designed that way? Just tested the washer again and it spun for a few seconds then stopped. Tried again and it would not spin anymore. I even tried to move the basket in spin mode manually while holding down the lid switch. The belt below could move, but as soon as I stopped spin it manually, it stopped. I am really out of clue. Very frustrated.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:52:42 PM by eaglefly001 »

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
I missed the part where you said it would agitate.  I'm thinking either the clutch or something stuck between the tubs.

Offline eaglefly001

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
Thanks for your input, tgoods. When it's in spin mode, I try to spin the basket with my hand and it's quite loose. It doesn't feel like there is something between the tub and basket. I guess the problem is either in the clutch halves or a faulty transmission. I can't further narrow it down anymore.

Maytag centennial top load washer fills with water when the spin cycle is ending

Started by alimunib83

Replies: 9
Views: 2552
Last post April 20, 2013, 04:04:51 PM
by dab147315
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6435
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
GE Front Load Washer Noisy During Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 6659
Last post August 25, 2008, 07:01:33 AM
by TechnicianBrian
LWL203AC Washer won't spin, Nordge Top Load