Author Topic: LG Front Load Gas Dryer - Short Cycling  (Read 2006 times)

Offline donsnakes

• VIP Member
LG Front Load Gas Dryer - Short Cycling
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
I have a LG front load dryer that is short cycling.  I had a gas odor when I opened the door to the dryer.  I called a tech to check it out, he told me that the vent line was plugged and causing it. I cleaned it out and still experienced a gas smell from time to time.  I thought it might have been the gas valve malfunctioning so I just changed it out.  I am still having a gas smell and the dryer short cycling.  About 5 seconds or so.  I noticed that the lent screen had holes in it like they were burnt this morning.  For some reason it seems whatever is telling the flame to function is malfuntioning.  I snoop checked the gas line behind the dryer and its not the culprit.  Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem.  Thanks. 

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: LG Front Load Gas Dryer - Short Cycling
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
What is the dryer doing that makes you think it is short cycling?

Offline donsnakes

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
honestly its bc thats what the tech told me, he said the burner wasn't staying lit long enough, my quest is if thats true and I'm smelling gas, is it pumping raw gas in my dryer when the burner is suppose to be lit?  How long is the burner suppose to be lit?  Started with me noticing the clothes weren't getting totally dry. then I started smelling gas a short time later.  Thanks for the help.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
LG gas dryers have a more radical temp rise versus an electric model. They are VERY sensitive to long vent runs or any blockages. If you have a long vent run, any blockages, or both, when the flame is called upon to ignite the slowed airflow will increase the temp rise causing the unit too run shorter than normal. It may also leave a CO or GAS like smell behind, not having the proper airflow. Shorten your vent.

Offline donsnakes

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
I wish I could shorten my vent but where my dryer is placed, there is no way to do so.  I don't think its the vent, I took a blower and hooked it to the vent and got very little out, I still get the gas smell with it not hooked to the vent.  My house is also only a year and half old. So don't know if I have much lent build up in it.  Thanks for the suggestion though. 

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:55:10 PM »
The thing about a gas dryer is that we are trying to make a flame burn sideways. The air being pulled through the burner tube is what does this. If you can't put any air out, you can't pull any air in so the flame starts to burn upward like a flame wants to do. There is a thermostat sitting on top of the burner tube that senses this and cuts the burner off. Thats why it short cycles. One way to check for vent problems is too run the dryer off of the vent and see if there is a difference in burner run time. Don't do this for very long because its not safe to vent a gas appliance into the house.

Offline donsnakes

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »
That makes total sense, I do have a long run with the vent.  There's nothing I can do about it.  How long is the cycle suppose to last?  I can probably find a extension and a brush for my drill and clean the line out. 

Offline donsnakes

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
So if it blows the flame out is it pumping raw gas into dryer? 

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 07:09:11 PM »
It doesn't blow the flame out. The thermostat is like a switch and opens the circuit to the coils on the gas valve. I'm not sure why you are smelling gas.Not a problem that happens in dryers usually.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »
It doesn't blow the flame out. The thermostat is like a switch and opens the circuit to the coils on the gas valve. I'm not sure why you are smelling gas.Not a problem that happens in dryers usually.

I am not understanding the smell either. It MAY be one of those things you happen to notice when digging around your broken dryer that MAY have always been there.... This is VERY common. Hell I have done it, only to kick myself!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 12:03:47 AM »
<<<I have a LG front load dryer that is short cycling.  I had a gas odor when I opened the door to the dryer.>>>

LG gas dryers are best used in homes with exhaust vents that are 8 feet or less.

A gas odor and 5 second burner "run time" are strong indicators that the vent system is---at least partially blocked.

When the Gas Valve *opens*---there will a momentary lull---before the gas ignites (normal).
When the vent system is "ideal"---the small amount of unburned gas exits the dryer through the vent system---and is usually not noticed by the user.

<<<I noticed that the lent screen had holes in it like they were burnt this morning.>>>

Possible burns form *embers*

All dryers with partially/fully blocked exhaust venting---will have a *disproportionately* heavy lint accumulation everywhere inside the dryer.
Did the "tech" disassemble the dryer and clean/vacuum/remove all lint---inside the dryer?

<<<I don't think its the vent, I took a blower and hooked it to the vent and got very little out,>>>

If the venting system is hidden/buried inside walls/ceilings/attics---it's impossible to know the true status of the vent system.
A professional vent cleaning company is the *only* recourse for homes---in which atrociously long/hidden vents exists.

The vent system can be checked for proper airflow using a MANOMETER.

The correct back-pressure is listed in the LG dryer *installation manual*.

After the vent system is 100% certified clean/clear---the dryer will function more or less normally again.
The length of time to dry clothing will remain abnormally long to due the increased back-pressure from a *long* vent system.

Offline donsnakes

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
I ordered some brushes to clean out the vent system, we'll see if it works, thanks for the help. 

Whirlpool Front load Dryer not working at all

Started by Ryan

Replies: 3
Views: 2387
Last post August 07, 2008, 12:48:09 PM
by Repair-man
Frigidaire Front Load Dryer not working

Started by vknighten

Replies: 5
Views: 6628
Last post October 14, 2008, 05:06:25 PM
by JWWebster