365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Trade Tricks?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Trade Tricks?
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
What are some of your favorite tricks of the trade?

Some people use epoxy on the piercing valve seats for refrigerant.

Others use alumilastic cement for thermostats on dishwashers.

There must be lots of shortcuts we could all use.

Personally, right now I'm looking for a shortcut to remove burner screws on gas stove tops  :tickedoff:  I broke three today and caused myself a headache.  I think I might get one of those mini-butane torches the crack-heads use to heat 'em up next time.

What nifty tricks do you guys use in your everyday prroblems?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Trade Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I had a couple of Frigidaire dishwashers in rental units that wouldn't advance past the heat delay.  With the landlord's permission, I ended up bypassing the temp boost thermostats. Both dishwashers had good heaters and water fill levels, and new thermostats didn't fix it. Do you think some thermal paste on the thermostats would fix the problem?

When you say they're using epoxy, is this on temporary valves so they leave them on permanently?  Or, are they using epoxy on the braze on valve, instead of brazing it?

On the GE cooktops with the tiny screws, I don't think there's any way to get those apart without breaking them.  I usually drill them all out and pop rivet them back together. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:13:22 AM »
What I do is use a dremel to chop off the screw heads. I then use a pop rivet to reattach the burner heads. A pop rivet is way easier than dealing with screws.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
The alumilastic does work for the temp sensors on the plastic dishwasher body.  It did for me, anyway.

The epoxy on the seat is for the temporary ones left permanent.  I haven't done it, but it provides a good seal that is otherwise absent.

The screws I'm working on are on the burner body for a whirlpool.  I'm having a hard time drilling the screws out after the head is off.  Probably have to anticipate the problem and drill it out first.  Going down through the phillips notch on the head would stop the drill bit from skipping around.

These sealed burner /gas line attached stove tops have always been a pain.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
When replacing ignitors on gas ovens those screws that hold the ignitor to the burner can be hard get off without stripping the screw threads.I use liquid soap on the burner screw threads and the screws come right out.If you use oil you will have a bad smell after you turn on the oven for the first time.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
To get the screws off the ignitors I use a tooth brush and put some water on the threads works every time .

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
To get the screws off the ignitors I use a tooth brush and put some water on the threads works every time .

WOAH! I can not wait to try this! Thank you!!!! :thanks:

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »
To remove and reinstall the outer tub outlet clamp on a  FL washer I use a clamp designed for wood but is the easiest way to do it ,clamp doesn't slip and you can work one handed

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
I also use water on srews for oven ignitors before removing. On the burner heads I just break screws off twist heads just enough to make new holes with small self taping screws. Frigidaire dryers and laundry centers i break a magnetron magnet in half and put on back of dryer to hold bracket and bearing in place when changing rear drum bearing. If changing glass in oven door use your ohm meter probes touched on glass one side is coated and has an ohm reading that goes toward oven.

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »
Good stuff, Larry.

For the screws, do you just start the self tapping screws in the old screw shaft?

Anyone want to trade links?

Started by blondejon

Replies: 3
Views: 98
Last post January 28, 2012, 11:00:06 PM
by AJ
How to join the Professional Appliance Repair Trade (P.A.R.T.) board.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 168
Last post April 21, 2015, 09:11:17 PM
by AJ