Author Topic: Kenmore HE Topload Washer Out of Balance (Display shows UE) Model 796.29002000  (Read 5974 times)

Offline domain

• Technician
I did replace one basket assembly due to an erratic balance issue under warranty.  Never heard back from the customer since.
Thanks wild, its just hard to believe that there are this many issues regarding this....  :D

Offline john63

• Technician
Okay :)

Let's look at a case that I've had recently...

Customer calls---requests service appointment to remove 3 *dimes* caught/stuck under the Pulsator.

Call is scheduled---and customer is notified that---based on her Model/Serial Number---a software update is needed (to be performed) on her washer.

Arrived at customer's home---removed coins and updated software.

Two or three days later---customer calls and requests another service visit.

The washer cycles are *longer* than they were prior to the software update and occassionally displays an error message of "uE".

At times---the washer will end the cycle (longer than expected) and the clothing was still wet.

At the time---I was NOT aware that the software update added the equivalent of a *cycle indicator* in the form of a message ("uE").
This new feature---as part of the software update (now used in all new LG top load washers) simply indicates/informs the consumer that the washer is attempting to find the optimum balance of wet laundry before entering faster spin RPM ( which also means that the Countdown Clock may either *stall* or reset to a higher number).

If after 3 attempts (and continued displays of "uE" and Countdown Clock adjustments)---the washer will abort the spin cycle and display a different error ("UE"). The clothing will be wet.

The customer's laundry room floor was *wood* (not concrete)

I adjusted the front leveling legs again (just to be sure).

Advised the customer to avoid (as much as possible) very small loads.

Explained that the software update (and all current LG top load washers) has an increased "sensitivity" to an imbalanced condition and may at times---annoyingly abort the spin part of the cycle.

I also explained that the software update/changes are relatively new---and that if more information became available---I'd contact her and relay that to her.

No callback as yet.

Does replacing the BALANCE RING or entire BASKET eliminate this issue?

Problably not---but I"ll keep an open mind---and wait.....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:58:47 PM by john63 »

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Since mine was under warranty, I had the freedom to change the parts at will.  Talked to LG tech support about my customer's problem and they immediately went from software update to replacing the hall sensor to replacing the basket assembly.  Since the basket assembly came with the balance ring, replacement part was easy to install.  When I replaced the old basket with the new, I compared both of them.  The old one seemed lighter and the newer one seemed to be more top heavy.  I figure that whatever was in the old balance ring had leaked out.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline john63

• Technician
<<<Talked to LG tech support about my customer's problem>>>

<<<and they immediately went from software update to replacing the hall sensor to replacing the basket assembly.>>>

Translation (LG Tech Center):

We're still in Failure Analysis Mode---and therefore not yet 100% certain of the problem.
Though we don't normally advocate sending our ASCs on parts changing missions---replace these 2 or 3 components.
There's a chance that at least one of them is at fault and will resolve the problem "for our mutual customer".  :)

When more is known---we'll amend our advice/recommendations at that time (as well as publish a Service Bulletin).

Offline domain

• Technician
<<<Talked to LG tech support about my customer's problem>>>

<<<and they immediately went from software update to replacing the hall sensor to replacing the basket assembly.>>>

Translation (LG Tech Center):

We're still in Failure Analysis Mode---and therefore not yet 100% certain of the problem.
Though we don't normally advocate sending our ASCs on parts changing missions---replace these 2 or 3 components.
There's a chance that at least one of them is at fault and will resolve the problem "for our mutual customer".  :)

When more is known---we'll amend our advice/recommendations at that time (as well as publish a Service Bulletin).

Gosh this IS the truth. :thanks:

kenmore washer series 70 model 110.20702990 won,t drain

Started by HORN 34

Replies: 1
Views: 1302
Last post February 21, 2009, 01:22:44 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore washer basket off balance

Started by skraw

Replies: 2
Views: 2388
Last post April 30, 2009, 06:03:16 AM