365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Do you keep a parts inventory?  (Read 169 times)

Offline AlphaApp

• Technician
    • Lafayette Appliance Repair
Do you keep a parts inventory?
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
We have one parts supply place in my town.  They typically don't have at least one item I need, so I have to make my customer wait and it's usually a few days until the part arrives.  This also forces me to make at least two trips, thus impacting my bottom line   I'm new at this but obviously a waiting customer is bad business - especially with mission-critical appliances.  I know this is a subjective question, but do any of you stock commonly-used parts and if so, what parts?  Obviously, experience will dictate which parts as I gain more experience, but I just wanted to toss this out there.   

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:43:28 AM by AlphaApp »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Do you keep a parts inventory?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
Yes I keep lots of inventory. Even if we had a parts place in town I could not be running back to it during every service call anyway.

Here are just a couple topics that come to mind for inventory, but I'm sure there is more to be found.

Common Repair Parts for the Whirlpool Top Load Direct Drive Washer

Common Repair Parts for Whirlpool Electric and Gas Dryers

Think inventory will depend a lot of the brands you see or work on most often too. I mostly see Whirlpool/Maytag and Frigidaire around here.

Offline AlphaApp

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
Right, AJ.  Lots of Whirlpools around here, too.  Sounds like you're in the same boat as far as parts.  The other thing I didn't mention is that the local parts place just got bought out by a West Coast company who came in and immediately started increasing prices and there's no way I'm going to do business with them if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
AlphaAPP   Might want to look into 1 St source Servall or Marcone for parts.I have account with both. Sometimes one is cheaper on certain parts than the other.Than another with Tribles Parts.Tribles is higher on a lot of there parts.1 st Source has parts flyers on there web site and find them to be my favorite but something don't have all the parts i need to get delivered in one day.Don,t get struck with just paying from one place.Open account with all of them and throw them all a order once in awhile. :welcome:

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »
Example that w10404050 latch and w10006355 actuator would be higher in price if i bought them from Marcone.

Offline AlphaApp

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »
Good call, Dab.  Thanks for the wisdom and the welcome!

Online schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:35:35 PM »
I am lucky that i have first source and Appliance Parts Depot fairly close so if i dont have a part i can go get one.  When i first started i went to the stores alot.  I get the parts at decentprice and usually just charge retail price to thecustomer.  When i first started i would buy 2 or 3 of the part i needed for the current job.  I would use one and have another one or two when that type repair came back up.  The money for labor covered my bills and the profit on parts helpedme build my inventory.  I realized early on my labor cost was too low, but was afraid to raise it.  I raised it and have yet to have a complaint and get lots of repeats.
Building a decent inventory took some time.
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline ramwash

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »
I keep a wide variety of parts in stock in my van , I find that if you can repair the appliance in the one visit you can also charge a bit more and the customer is very happy with your service and will recommed you to all their family and friends, Customers prefer to have their appliance repaired in the one visit, they hate to take another day off work to get their appliance repaired also you may lose the job and the customer buys a new appliance if you tell them that you have to order the part needed. Going back to a job to fit parts you are loosing money and you could be at another job earning more money
I know you cant carry everything but you need to have the fast mooving parts in stock

and you can advertise "that our aim is to repair your appliance in the one visit"  this will bring you more work = more money

Discussing cheaper parts and tools in our forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 29
Views: 792
Last post August 04, 2013, 03:49:47 AM
by Wedgeman55
Canada Parts?

Started by Al Capone

Replies: 15
Views: 185
Last post January 15, 2009, 07:06:50 AM
by Mr. Fix-It