365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: On my own...  (Read 290 times)

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
On my own...
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
...sort of. Doing it on my days off from $ears with my own tools and parts. Had my first service call on my own today. Just an easy garbage disposal replacement. Second one is this afternoon for a Maytag Legacy not running. Dont know if its a MAV, SAV or HAV. Customer couldn't find the model #. Should be fun.

I can't wait to do this full time!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: On my own...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Congrats!  O0   Keep us update.   :popcorn:

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »
How did you go about getting the calls? :D

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »
Friends of friends of friends of their friends. Lol....

LowSL2

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
That is great. I just posted an appliance repair ad on the CL. Hope someone bites. Anything to look out for or keep in mind Low?

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:31:35 PM »
The washer was a SAV Maytag. Just a broken belt, at first. Ran it and it needs a bearing kit, snubber and base plate. Told him the washer needed to be replaced. He said he'd run it until it dies. So i told him i cant guarantee the work. Was ok with that. Got paid and left.

This is a little too easy...

LowSL2

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:04 PM »
You're doing exactly what I was doing when I was near the end of my time with Sears.  After about a month of doing this on your own, you will learn you own way of doing things to the point that you're comfortable enough to go it alone.  I commend you.  Keep going and you'll do well.  Get people to Yelp you after you've done your work.  Yelp.com is how I get all of my new customers.  I don't pay for any ads.  Good luck.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
I've often thought that a craigslist ad the specifies Evening Availability would get lots of hits.

Most people don't want to take a day off to wait around for a repair man.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
I've often thought that a craigslist ad the specifies Evening Availability would get lots of hits.

Most people don't want to take a day off to wait around for a repair man.

That is EXACTLY what I have stated, including weekends..... I am hopeful. :D

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »
Good luck Low and Domain too.    When I started on my own,  it was a challenge but you have to remember you are BUILDING a customer base.    Almost as important as your knowledge of appliances is your ability to grasp low cost marketing.     

When I first started,  I was sort of thrown into it.   My company was sold and I didn't have a job.    My wife had lost her job 4 months earlier when they re-organized her clinic she was working at and let 75 people go and only hired 5 back.    She wasn't one of them.    So there we were,  neither of us had a job.    You guys are lucky in the fact that you are getting all your ducks in a row ahead of leaving your job.    I didn't have that luxury.     

That being said,  you guys have plenty of options.     At this point,  I have more work than I can handle most weeks.    You can get there too.   Some suggestions
          1.  Craigs list - good start for customers.   
          2.  Cork boards - these are available at restuarants,   banks,  Supermarkets etc.    What you do is
               keep a little book in truck and mark down where you put cards.   Keep push pins with you.   
              When in area,  re-plenish cards that were taken.    Cards are relativly cheap in comparison with
               other forms of advertising.     I had 42 stops at one point,   I still do this.   
          3.  NETWORK>   NETWORK>   Always try to work in to a conversation that you repair appliances.   
               I get jobs from people I have met in line at supermarkets,  banks,  stores,    use your
               imagination.    I also belonged to several network groups early on in the infancy of my own
               business.    Got a lot of leads and they still lead to jobs today even though I no longer have
               time to go to these meetings.     I also joined rotary and several other groups.   I still belong
               to an entepreneurs club.     Most of the members and their familys are my customers.    This
              and other clubs is the reason I have stopped advertising at this point.    I have a ton of
              customers.   Over 7000 in my database at this time.   
         4.  Me and my wife go to several restuarants regularly.    My cards are featured prominantly at
              the registers.     I have a gift of gab as does my wife,  and I often get customers just from
              talking.     Sat night,   we struck up a conversation with a couple next to us,  and today I fixed
              their dishwasher and am going to re-pipe their kitchen sink and install a new disposal and
              replace the sloppy switch.     ALWAYS be thinking business.   PUSH your buisness. 
         5.  You have this board and all the people on it to help you.   I didn't have that when I started.     

These are just a few ideas.    They have worked for me.    For years,  I had run ads in 4 to 7 phone books a year at a cost of some years over 1000 a month.    It built me up somewhat,  no question.   But as of this point,   all my customers that come in are referrals of some sort.   The waitress at one of our favorite restuarants gets me lots of customers.     Me and my wife gave her a 50 dollar gift certificate in appreciation.     Keep these things in mind - if someone helps get you 1000 or more in work,  Take care of them.    It comes back in droves.   

Well,  good luck.   You cannot believe how good it feels to come home the end of day with 800 in repair money and you are not giving it to your boss.   Its yours (less expenses and parts and taxes,  of course)    Thing is,   no one can fire you.    If you need time off, take it.    If you want to go fishing,  go.   My only problem now is I'm so busy I can't take time to goof off at this point.     

Good luck,  were here to help you.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present