365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Customers that like to watch  (Read 300 times)

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Customers that like to watch
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
I've brought this topic up before, but would like to hear what and how others handle this situation. Now, I have more than 30 years experience repairing nearly all brands of appliances, however it is not uncommon for me to run into something I have never seen before. I don't mind being watched, but In a situation like this, even an experienced tech can be intimidated when someone is looking over your shoulder, especially when your not even sure how to get into the appliance. Had one the other day. Customer ask would it be ok for him to watch. I told the customer that I was unfamiliar with said unit and that I had in fact never ever seen one and that that was not uncommon. I ask for him to give me some time and I would figure it out. Well, some people can't take a hint, so I told him that since he was all over me, that I would take the model number to research problem and I would return at another time. Customer immediately ask me not to leave and that he would go sit in his chair. I was able to repair appliance in appr 15 minutes. At that point I ask for him to come to the kitchen and I explained in depth the nature of the problem and what it took to repair. Customer was very happy. I just wish there was a nice way to say "get tf out of here." Can anyone relate to this topic?

Online domain

• Technician
Re: Customers that like to watch
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
It all has to be felt out at the beginning of the service call. Starting when the customer says hello is where you get your initial impression of whether you would like to have a conversation with them. If it is something I am comfortable on I invite them to stick around and learn a thing or two. If I am unsure of the unit or issue, I say to them " Give me a few minutes and I will get everything figured out." They Usually get the hint, but not always. :D

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »
I don,t mind customers watching provided they're not teachers or engineers .They always know more then you do .

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »
Parents of teachers or engineers are just as bad.

"My son is a engineer and he said, bla, bla, bla"

So what I'm I doing here if your son knows it all? :D

It is fun through letting them know there kid was completely wrong.
Better send that boy back to college...

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:53:09 AM »
Just act normally, pry here, wiggle there, scratch your head and sit for a minute.  If the customer asks something, just say, "Gee, I just started this business yesterday and I hope that this won't be my first stumper."
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »
Harold Its sounds like you did everything right on this job at least you got him to leave you a lone until you got it figure out.I been doing this 38 years and i don,t mind them watching if its a job i done hundred of times.But with all this new stuff coming out it is a pain in the butt when they watch you.Sometimes i tell them i got to use my brain and they get the message.I think we all do better work when we are just left alone.Telling you would need to do research on the product was a good idea.But you will always have watchers.Thats why that some of these appliances i pick and choose what i want to work on at this point in my life.

Offline zulidan4

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
I know the topic is old by now, but here it goes anyway,  what bothers me the most is when  a customer grabs your tools and start doing something to the appliance, while you are working on it.... I once was installing a lid switch on a ge washer and the lady plugged the cord in the electric outlet as I had the stripped wires on my hands.. :oops: got a nice 120v shot early in the morning...my education prevented me from cursing this lady, at lease outloud.....lol.  but I told her to leave to room, if she wanted me to finish the job... lol

Offline ramwash

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:13 AM »
once an engineer was telling me that everything I was doing to repair his washing machine was wrong so I just handed him the tools I was holding and he walked away, another time another engineer telling me what to do, I asked if he knew everything why did he call me to fix the appliance, again he walked away

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »
My favorite is when the kids help!

Or when the growling dog is slobbering on my leg and the lady assures me "He won't bite!"

The best jobs are in vacant rentals. :cheers:

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
I don't mind watching,  except when you are getting free advice from the customer.    Or the latest is when you tell them the problem,  they say "that's what I thought,  they said it on the internet".    If I don't know a machine,   I tell them right off.   That way,  they know.   I tell them I have been doing this for 40 years,  and I will figure it out.    If they want to sit there,   it doesn't bother me.   

As for the engineers or the "higher inteligence " type of person,   who know more than you,   they are hard to take sometimes.    I had one that started telling me what the problem was when I walked in.    It was a direct drive,   was not spinning.     He is telling me its the transmission.   I just say "lets see".    As I take the cabinet off,  he is telling me the motor is turning,  working on agitate.    Then he tells me,  as if I am dumb,   that the motor turns the opposite way for spin so since motor is running,  it has to be a stripped out neutral drain in transmission.    Again,  I said "we'll see".    Then he tells me to drop motor,  and I can test transmission.    About that time,   I started to put my tools back in the box and told him that he could finish the job since he already knows the problem.     He looks at me stupified,   and I tell him nicely that I know my job after all these years,  why don't you just let me figure it out.    He then shuts up at that point,    I take off top guard and find...................rolled up sock locking outer tub.     He just said damn,   and apologized at that point.     Lesson learned.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Nasty Customers

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 6
Views: 128
Last post July 28, 2009, 10:48:10 PM
by BrntToast
Do you call customers back after a completed service call?

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 321
Last post March 24, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
by Wedgeman55
Connecting your business with local customers

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 101
Last post June 08, 2011, 10:27:27 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Special order parts that customers never pick up?

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 80
Last post August 13, 2011, 09:16:35 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Dealing with customers...

Started by whirlpooltech

Replies: 16
Views: 245
Last post November 15, 2011, 04:35:50 PM
by rego
Elderly customers