As tgoods has suggested, this is a thermal fuse and operates on the overheating of the coil, not the amperage draw. The thermal fuse is rated at 2 amps. The shifter requires 135vdc to the coil to engage the solenoid and then switches to 35vdc to hold the solenoid in. At 135vdc, the coil is drawing less than 1.5 amps. The problem occurs when the lid is opened at certain times and the 135vdc is applied for too long a period of time. The coil overheats and opens the fuse. An external standard fuse that I suggested before or circuit breaker is not going to provide protection.
goodsusedappliance: what was the coil resistance on yours? There are two different versions. One uses copper wire and has a coil resistance of around 98 ohms and the other uses aluminum wire with resistance of around 65 ohms. That may be why there are two different fuses used.