Author Topic: SoleusAIR flat panel Micathermic heater with shocktronic controls  (Read 3221 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
My friend Dan brown from over at the food bank brought me a fancy heater to look at. When plugged in and power button is pressed all I get is a rather nasty beep and nothing else. Found the user manual easy enough and checked the various suggestions. This heater has a control panel detached from the main board. Must have a fried relay on the main board. I looked for burnt wires and they don't look real bad but do look tired. Rubber coated terminal ends are kinda dark. Has anybody messed with one of these heaters. I read where the round micathermic heater was recalled (39000 of them) and QVC won some kind of court case against the company. Does anybody know about these heaters? Photos below:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:58:47 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Re: SoleusAIR flat panel Micathermic heater with shocktronic controls
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
Click photos to enlarge:
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
Update: I got in touch with the company. They do not offer parts and do not repair these heaters. They will replace the heater if it is less than a year old. No parts are available at all. From the looks of it their must be a shorted relay on the main board. No noticably burnt wires. If my friend up at the food bank donates it to me I am gonna try and bypass the crappytronics and use it to heat the shop.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:48:25 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »
Heat the shop? Did not know they even used heaters in that part of the country, lol...
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »
Yesterday and today is kinda cold outside. By the end of the week it will be in the 80's again. LOL I betta fix it purty quick or I ain't gonna be able to use it. Got a call from Dan and now I iz da proud owner of this Chinese POS.The base has 2 quick connection blocks on it. That means all I gotta do to run it is reposition the power cord and move the connections over to the other block next to it. Some Air condtioner window units have these same type of connections and I am guessing they use these to check circuits. The thing that scares me is these heaters have been recalled because of improper or too small wiring. I have some stove wire and I am gonna try and rewire this thing and put in a potentiometer type heater control off of an old broken heater I have in the shop.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:34:02 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
Durring our ice storm last weekend I seen a guy come into the bar with shorts on, lol...
A little to cold for me yet, but looking forward to Spring.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
Once I get the heater up and going I am gonna do an amp draw check and see how many amps this puppy is pulling then gonna measure the wire guage and see if indeed the wiring is proper for this sort of heater.Oh yeah Babe gonna do a complete autopsy on this bad boy. :2funny: :rofl: O0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:36:32 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
Nice heater. Works great. Only draws 2 amps and no fan. Air is drawn through the panels and forced out the top naturally. Pretty dang cool. Pardon the misnomer. Check it out;
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
Update: I read the amp draw wrong. The heater is pulling a steady 12 amps instead of 2 amps. My old amprobe must be out of kilter or either I am :D Video coming.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:26:53 PM »
Part 2:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:27:15 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
Today I hooked up the safety limits and tip switch to the heater. The heater will now shut off if tipped over and has a bullet fuse and a thermal klixon in the circuit as well as a 141 degree klixon. It works beautifully. Wrap-up video coming soon  O0
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »
Found some more repair pix. Might have to wait till next year to use the heater.  :2funny: Click em to enlarge:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:00:11 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Water Heater Leaking from Vent

Started by tgoods

Replies: 12
Views: 3856
Last post June 10, 2012, 06:19:15 AM
by jumptrout51
Cambridge Agri heater conversion

Started by robnofziger

Replies: 2
Views: 3483
Last post December 16, 2009, 12:00:14 PM
by JWWebster
35 sw h Lear Siegler custom aire wall heater

Started by Leonard707

Replies: 8
Views: 5455
Last post December 17, 2010, 06:46:20 AM
by jumptrout51
HVAC Heater Intermintant Spark Pilot shutsdown Won't Mainburner Wont Stay/Cycles

Started by mdfudge

Replies: 16
Views: 6848
Last post December 23, 2010, 08:02:20 PM
by JWWebster
Lear Siegler Gas Space Heater- If power goes out tonight

Started by wisconsindog

Replies: 1
Views: 4805
Last post February 01, 2011, 06:33:31 PM
by JWWebster
ODS Space Heater tune-up