Author Topic: Kenmore(by Amana?) armoire type-Frezzer working fine- Fridge not  (Read 3345 times)

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
Good morning all,

Have an armoire style fridge/freezer unit that is Kenmore model # 596.73503203 but I understand a private labeled Amana unit.  One of the first armoire types offered about 10 years ago ?? Not sure of age.

Survived some flooding last fall but after a recent storm and power outage (no I didn't unplug it for when electric came back on) the refrigerator doesn't work now.  No cold at all.  Freezer and ice machine still working fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bruce

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Kenmore(by Amana?) armoire type-Frezzer working fine- Fridge not
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
Are you saying the freezer and icemaker on this unit are working but the fresh food section is not?

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
Yes Bailey ...that's correct the refrigerator / Armoire double door section is not producing any cold ant all but the drawer freezer and ice machine are working perfectly.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
Return air blockage,remove back panel on the freezer and defrost the side of the evaporator coils. The return air is probably blocked with frost. Check the fan as well.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
At the top, in the back, the air from the freezer comes in through a damper control.Take the cover off and see if the door is open. Like stove guy says the fan in the freezer pushes cold air into the upper section. If the freezer temp is around zero you must have a blockage somewhere. It should be obvious.

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
To Stoveguy and Bailey,

Thank you both for getting back to me. Took covers off back and see no frost or ice at all... frankly I don't really see coils like I expected to see ... there is some very very narrow coil like looking piece that is horizontal and is placed underneath all the other parts and is black and shows no frost at all.  I am attaching pic of what I assume is the damper inside fridge compartment at top in the back... it appears the door is open (can yo tell if it is or not ... I could get it to be in an opposite position).  The fan is not running at all.  Temperature of freezer is zero.  I attach a few pics. 

Thanks again

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
Re the damper -  that should read ... "I could NOT get it into an opposite position"

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Pictures taken were from the compressor room as I call it. The black underneath coil is your condensor which removes heat, so of course no ice there. I am glad you went back there because if that compressor is running, that fan needs to be turning. Bailey meant in the top and back of inside the fridge I believe. Old stove guy meant inside the freezer back panel. If your damper is closed there lies your issue. You need to check the damper motor for power. Imho, I would wait on checking for return air blockage due to this happening after an outage, when the power was off forcing the box to become warmer, and the fact that after the power issue at home, this issue became prevalent. :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:22:53 PM by domain »

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »
Thanks Domain ...yes that pic labeled "damper" is a picture taken of inside and back wall / top of fridge.   So I take it fan should be replaced.  Could the fan have been damaged when electric came back on?  A transformer blew on the pole down the street and electric was off for about 36 hours.  So I take it there are two fans ... one for compressor and one inside freezer to push cold air to fridge?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
Looks like the damper door is wide open. Is the fan in the freezer running? I don't think it will run with the freezer door open so push the light switch in when you check it. The compressor, the fan by the compressor and the freezer fan all run at the same time. If the freezer fan is running and the temp in the freezer is around zero you should be able to feel cool air coming through the damper.

Kenmore (Maytag Amana) Fridge flooding water out dispenser

Started by rego

Replies: 12
Views: 3014
Last post December 02, 2012, 08:42:24 AM
by rego
icemaker on Roper fridge not working

Started by ikjaj

Replies: 2
Views: 10048
Last post September 07, 2008, 10:40:55 AM
by whirlpooltech
Kenmore/Whirpool fridge cooling problems

Started by woozy_one

Replies: 20
Views: 14388
Last post June 02, 2011, 08:35:17 PM
by woozy_one
Kenmore Fridge 25368832792 defrost prob

Started by marhari

Replies: 3
Views: 3323
Last post October 23, 2008, 05:31:24 PM
by Repair-man
No water at dispenser - ice maker working fine

Started by drstroud

Replies: 6
Views: 5588
Last post October 30, 2008, 09:37:43 AM
by Repair-man
Over $500 Spent on 1.5 year Kitchen Aid Fridge - still not working!!

Started by knockhardc

Replies: 0
Views: 2050
Last post December 08, 2008, 12:29:41 PM
by knockhardc