Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer Noise  (Read 1088 times)

Offline dnnswoodall

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Washer Noise
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »
Hey, I have been messing with this washer recently, a Whirlpool LA5200XTWO, after my mom called me to tell me it quit working. After some diagnosis I decided the motor was bad. It would shake badly even out of the machine so I figured the bearings had gone bad. I bought a new motor and installed it, but something was still not right.

When set to “run” the washer would fill fine, but at the start of agitation it would run kind of slow and make a kind of knocking noise along with the agitation. However, when in rinse mode it would agitate quickly and without any knocking. This made me think it might be the timer, so I disassembled the timer and sure enough a few of the metal "fingers" were melted with pieces of plastic burnt around them.

So I bought a new timer and installed it and everything seemed to start and run fine. Then about 3/4 way through the cycle it started agitating slower and making the knocking noise again! I would reset it to the beginning of the cycle and it would go away, only to start back up sometime after. Still rinses, spins, and drains perfectly fine.

I would think it could be the transmission, but it will agitate fine at the beginning of the cycle and during the rinse, so the transmission can't really be the culprit. I don't really know what else could be the problem, although I will admit that washers are not my forte.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This washer is about to drive me up the wall.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Washer Noise
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
Did you look in the pump for wires and such?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dnnswoodall

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »
I haven't looked hard for anything in the pump, but I did take a quick peak and didn't see anything obvious.

Offline dnnswoodall

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »
But like I said, it will run/ agitate fast and then after a while like a switch being flipped, it will agitate more slowly like it is struggling and with a kind of knocking noise from the lower back of the machine.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
It is not unusual for whirlpool washers to change speeds during agitation. Is there a wiring diagram in the control housing? Look at the timer sequence chart. It will tell you if the timer changes the speed.

Offline dnnswoodall

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
I will have a look.  It's not so much the change in speed that worries me, it's the noticable knocking noise that comes along with it. 

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
You might have sticking brake shoes, or something stuck in the tub. If you pull the motor and try to turn the coupler atached to the transmission clockwise
and you find it hard to turn, that would confirm it. Usually, the newer washers have less pads, and the clutch will just slip, but in your case it did not.

Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 14428
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer Noise During Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2730
Last post April 22, 2008, 11:06:58 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Washer Noise After Spin