Author Topic: washer wont spin and sometimes shuts off mid cycle  (Read 9743 times)

Offline imharley

• VIP Member
washer wont spin and sometimes shuts off mid cycle
« on: May 10, 2008, 07:11:01 AM »
Hello,

I have a maytag neptune stack.  for the past few weeks it wont spin, you no longer hear the ( rocket take off ) it drains but items are still soaked from not spinning. Also, a few years ago it use to just ( shut off ) and stop washing mid wash cycle, you could restat it and it would finish washing. after a couple of months this problem went away.  now a few years later its also back along with the not spinning. I have checked to see if it agitates, and it seems to. 

Model MLE2000AYW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: washer wont spin and sometimes shuts off mid cycle
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 07:20:24 AM »
You'll most likely be replacing the door lock wax motor and the machine control board at the top of the cabinet. The board will have a burned spot at the R-11 resistor if you open the machine and look. There are lots of other things which could cause a no-spin condition on this machine, so you should use the technical manual inside the center panel to help you go thru all the various test procedures.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:50:33 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline imharley

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 07:25:53 AM »
I did open the ( front panel ) its a stack so its on the front, there is one little board and nothing is burnt on it. ( i read this from your form before I posted ) I also took off the face of the bottom to get to the motor control board, there isnt anything burnt on it either.

Offline imharley

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »
Also my wife said it hasnt been shutting off mid cycle since it stopped spinning.  and seems like the items arent being clean.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:49:59 AM »
The board you hapened to see when you looked in the center control panel is the dryer sensor board. Has absolutely NADA to do with this problem. The machine control board is inside the top panel of this machine and can only be accessed by taking off the center panel, the control panel, then the front of the dryer. How's that for easy? :)

There is a copy of the service manual here on this website at the link below. I heartily recommend that you consult it for the diagrams of how to get this machine open, etc.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=23

Because the machine is stopping mid cycle, it shows a problem with the door lock circuit. I bet the "lock" light o the panel is no longer showing up either. This would be a sure-fire indicator of a bad door lock wax motor and bad machine control board.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:58:58 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline imharley

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 08:34:48 AM »
Ok,  found it, didnt know it would be at the top of the dryer..  guess I should have looked past my nose...
yes the door lock and on lights work and on the control board, there isnt anything burnt on it what so ever. I am going to download the manual for future use, any ideas for next ??

Offline imharley

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »
I also took a look at the door lock switch, all ( looks ) fine with it also.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:24:17 AM »
This is what I would do to check your washer.
I would first look at the control board for the burnt R-11 resistor.
Next I would look at the motor control board at the bottom of the washer for burnt parts.

If I could not see any damage on the two boards next I would look at the door switch.
With the panel off so you can see the door switch I would put the washer into spin and wiggle on the switch to see if the washer takes off and goes into spin.

A lot of the times the door switch will check with a meter if you push the switch in by hand and check it with a meter, but if you let the washer do it the switch just does not close right all the time.

Offline imharley

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:39:50 AM »
Ok,   with door off, hit door lock in, held button in, on the rinse cycle it never went in high spin, it did the low rpm spin one way and then reversed. ( same as it does ) in the wash cycle. but when its supposed to go in high spin the unit just vibrates like it did before in high spin, but drum didnt turn. the lights for lock and on work, and the intior light comes on. there isnt a burnt mark anywhere on either of the boards at all, I do heating and a/c repair and I know some boards can be bad but not burnt. but on a/c units i know how to bypass this and thats so its not trial and error, also, the washer
on and lock lights stay on and it does vibrate though out the remainder of the cycle.  its never shutting down completeley.  my wife said that when it was shutting off during mid wash cycle, it spun, and now she said its not shutting off as much, but not no ( take off ) spin

Offline imharley

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »
also, it only shut off during wash cycle between 2 and 3, never any other time

Offline WasherGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »
The wax motor and board are probably failed, however when your machine did spin did you say it sounded like a rocket taking off?  I always compared it to a turbo prop taking off, but either way it sounds like your bearings are Kaput.  Is there any wobble to the tub?  Meaning, can you reach in and move the inner tub independently from the outer tub?  If so your Bearings and possibly your tub support assembly have failed.  This could contribute to a Motor control failure along with the main control and wax motor in the door lock.

Offline JMM

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 03:40:26 AM »
Looks like I have the same issue going on - washer will not start the spin cycle - can I get the part numbers for the control board and wax motor please

Thanks,
JMM

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 04:54:18 AM »
Hi JMM,

Looks like I have the same issue going on - washer will not start the spin cycle - can I get the part numbers for the control board and wax motor please

Thanks,
JMM

Is the model number of your washer also, MLE2000AYW

If so these are the part numbers.

Wax Motor Part # 22002119

Control Board Part # 22004325
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
These neptunes have 2 tub displacement switches and an inertia switch. One on the top of the tub, one on the side of the tub,
and one on the bottom of the tub. They are wired in series so if any one of them is open or if the wire breaks at one of the switches it
will not go into the high speed spin.

GE washer stops mid cycle & wont spin out completely

Started by kstump27

Replies: 2
Views: 7850
Last post July 07, 2009, 06:23:24 AM
by Repair-man
Frigidaire front load washer wont spin cycle

Started by Scott7m

Replies: 10
Views: 6155
Last post May 17, 2010, 07:58:24 AM
by Repair-man
Washer stops mid cycle. Wont spin. replaced door lock

Started by Sandinmaheye

Replies: 7
Views: 1693
Last post March 03, 2013, 12:42:49 PM
by Sandinmaheye
kenmore washer wont spin

Started by futch13

Replies: 5
Views: 4558
Last post October 09, 2007, 12:28:49 PM
by rickgburton
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 3263
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 4816
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster