Author Topic: Kenmore HE Topload Washer Out of Balance (Display shows UE) Model 796.29002000  (Read 9948 times)

Offline john63

• Technician
Oops--I can see domain's incredulity at what I posted :)

Thousand apologies, Niobara...

I described the wrong part in my earlier post.

Mark the ROTOR--- not the STATOR !

The sharpie marks should be:

1) On the ROTOR

2) On the shaft (that the rotor is installed onto)---not the tub.

A little background:

This was suggested by an owner (a BMW mechanic) that was having a problem with the LG top load washer shaking excessively/throwing an imbalance error---even when the tub was empty.

Subsequent to learning of this method---I have tried this with some success.

Previously---LG Tech had suggested replacing the ROTOR (on a warranty service call) but never elaborated as to why this course of action may help. Now I know.

Further discussions with the our LG training instructor confirmed that---in at least some instances---excessive wobble/shake during spin with an empty tub could be an issue with the ROTOR being out of spec and/or may need to installed in another location/spot.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:44:57 PM by john63 »

Offline domain

• Technician
No john, no sarcasm on my side. I knew exactly what you meant even though you stated it incorrect. I will try this! Thanks man.

Offline domain

• Technician
Doman, ever replaced the clutch to fix the unbalanced washer?

Niobrara, any update to this mystery? I am starting to believe that the LG top load machines can not be accurately tested for uE/UE errors when EMPTY. My thoughts are as follows. Yes the tub is empty and SHOULD be error free when empty, but is often NOT the case either before OR after the update, whether the Display was replaced or old part was UPDATED. 2 things cross my mind when testing the machine EMPTY. 1. There is NO weight(Wet Clothes) to keep the momentum of the tub at a more constant speed. These infinite speed DD DC motors are very tough, but sensitive. If the tub has weight inside, during spin the tub will be a more steady overall speed compared to empty and allowing the hall sensor to pick up on constant and slight pulses of the DD DC motor. 2. The tub balance ring doesnt know what to do when the tub is empty. I picture all of the bearings clumped on one side when there is nothing to counter balance the bearings. Those two things are what I believe contribute to the EMPTY TUB uE/UE errors.... Thoughts? :D

Offline john63

• Technician
Read the latest Service Bulletin on LGs website: WW/M20130359

Offline domain

• Technician
Thank you john, I have not read that until now. :D ;)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Read the latest Service Bulletin on LGs website: WW/M20130359

Thanks,

I have attached a copy for all who don't have access to the LG website.

Service Bulletin No.    WW/M20130359
Registration Date    2013-02-24
Subject    SVC Action for UE Error code after Recall S/W update by JIG or PCB
Applicable Serial No.    002xxxxxxxxx ~ 111xxxxxxxxx
Date Of Change    2013-02-23

Offline john63

• Technician
Your welcome :)

Now ain't it just dandy to be informed of all this critical software revision specifics---so belatedly ? :)

LG top loaders manufactured *before* January 2011--- displayed only a "UE" error *after* three attempts to balance the tub---failed.

Units built beginning Jan 2011---and all those revised (software updated) washers---have both "uE" and "UE" error capability.

"uE"---Indicates that the "computer" is attempting to balance the tub (will make 3 attempts)

"UE"---Indicates that the "computer" was unable/failed to balance the load after 3 attempts.

Woulda been nice to have known this from the beginning---to be able to explain to customers/consumers*specifically* what the software update characteristics were---which would then eliminate any "surprises" for the customer---when seeing the new "uE" error and different end-of-cycle behavior/characteristics (i.e.,repeated rinsing/changes in Display Clock Time).  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:26:39 PM by john63 »

Offline domain

• Technician
Yes john, it drives me insane. I was ALWAYS under the impression of both versions of the code uE/UE. I have been doing this just shy of 2 years. :D

Offline john63

• Technician
From past experience (with all manufacturers)...

It's most likely another case of "Putting The Cart In Front Of The Horse".

Since this was a *safety* recall (not a quality issue)---LG engineers made an expedited/rushed effort to correct the *potentially* dangerous self-destructive/out-of-control spin cycle (eliminate liability).

Once accomplished---then the rest of LG and the ASCs"---were made aware of the changes/specifics---at the usual/normal pace. :)

Offline domain

• Technician
I am very appreciative of your knowledge, thank you. :D

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
If the software update has been done properly, the next level is to replace the balance ring on the basket assembly.  The part number is AAJ72909601.  Even if the tub is empty, it can still get out of balance when trying to spin up to speed.

Hope this helps.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline domain

• Technician
If the software update has been done properly, the next level is to replace the balance ring on the basket assembly.  The part number is AAJ72909601.  Even if the tub is empty, it can still get out of balance when trying to spin up to speed.

Hope this helps.

Can it get out of balance when empty with a good balance ring?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
With a good balance ring, everything should work ok.  With a bad balance ring, even an empty tub can go out of balance.

Offline domain

• Technician
Understood. Have you had much success after replacement? :D

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
I did replace one basket assembly due to an erratic balance issue under warranty.  Never heard back from the customer since.

kenmore washer series 70 model 110.20702990 won,t drain

Started by HORN 34

Replies: 1
Views: 1818
Last post February 21, 2009, 01:22:44 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore washer basket off balance

Started by skraw

Replies: 2