Author Topic: Outdoor refrigerator operation  (Read 809 times)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Outdoor refrigerator operation
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
Many of us have a second refrigerator in an unheated location.  :oops:  I've got both a refrigerator/freezer and a chest type freezer out in my 1600 sq/ ft. steel building. The chest freezer performs fine.

However, the refrigerator/freezer does not. When ambient temps approach freezing, the freezer portion seems to drift up to near freezing while the refrigerator temperatures remain cold.

Is this normal? I have the thermostats adjusted to the factory recommended settings. The freezer control is nothing more than a vane that directs refrigerated air to the freezer at the top.

Is there anything I can do to help keep the freezer section below freezing when ambient temps get near freezing? I have thought of moving all the freezer contents to the chest unit and using the refrigerator portion only. Is this my only alternative?

Thanks for the help.  :thanks:
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Outdoor refrigerator operation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
Yes, not designed to be in garage, to cold temp., manual say 58-87 degrees.
Whirlpool makes a refrigerator/freezer that works well in the garage called a garagerator.                  Only cost about 2,500.00.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:46:38 PM by bigbuck »

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Outdoor refrigerator operation
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:55:15 PM »
Only to 32 degrees I think any colder and not worth it my thoughts only

Online domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
I am unsure of your direct model but Frigidaire calls for 55-95 degrees for the unit to work properly. The thermostat is located in the fresh food section, and at normal set point will cycle around 38-40 degrees. The unit does NOT know the temp of the freezer, it is a direct ratio of cooling. In normal operating conditions, when the unit calls for cooling, the direct ratio of cooling will keep the freezer frozen. Frigidaire makes a COLD KIT for their top mounts manufactured after 2001. The chest freezer does just fine because THAT thermostat is calibrated for roughly 0 degrees at normal set point. :D

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:10:27 AM »
I am unsure of your direct model but Frigidaire calls for 55-95 degrees for the unit to work properly. The thermostat is located in the fresh food section, and at normal set point will cycle around 38-40 degrees. The unit does NOT know the temp of the freezer, it is a direct ratio of cooling. In normal operating conditions, when the unit calls for cooling, the direct ratio of cooling will keep the freezer frozen. Frigidaire makes a COLD KIT for their top mounts manufactured after 2001. The chest freezer does just fine because THAT thermostat is calibrated for roughly 0 degrees at normal set point. :D

Yup, you're correct.

I guess I'll just have to heat the garage so that the refrigerator is happy...(now let's see, a new heat pump,  :P air handler, some additional insulation  .....or, maybe a wood burning stove or a LPG setup...   :-\ ).

:thanks:   
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Whirlpool SxS and Bottom Mount Dual Evaporator Refrigerator Theory of Operation

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 1061
Last post February 22, 2013, 12:16:46 PM
by haroldsappliance
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 87137
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
GE refrigerator/freezer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 7
Views: 5048
Last post May 21, 2008, 05:44:45 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore refrigerator model # 52552100 no ice

Started by davelita

Replies: 6
Views: 12002
Last post August 04, 2007, 03:24:08 PM
by AJ
Kitchen Aid Refrigerator KSRS27QBL01

Started by texan2

Replies: 5
Views: 3595
Last post August 11, 2007, 06:30:49 AM
by AJ
Video: How to clear a Whirlpool made Refrigerator Defrost Drain Tube.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 19223
Last post August 11, 2007, 09:38:43 AM
by AJ