Author Topic: Bad light switch? Easy to replace?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline terry

• VIP Member
Bad light switch? Easy to replace?
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
I think we have a light switch going bad.

It feels kind of funny. It don't have the snap to it any more when you turn it on and off.

Also every now and then I hear a popping sound coming from it when you flip it on or off.

I would guess it's just a bad switch that needs to be replaced.

Is it easy to replace a light switch?

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: Bad light switch? Easy to replace?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »
As long as you can turn the power off but if a fire occurs because of faulty wiring it can void your insurance unless you get the work inspected. In Canada that is the laws may be different where you are.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
The switch still works right? Throw some breakers till you kill the power to that circuit and swap it out. Never grab more than one wire at a time, don't stand in a puddle of water and rubber gloves only insulate when it ain't raining.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline SmArtE

• VIP Member
  • Do it yourself and save/learn/prosper.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »
The original post was sent in 2009.  I want to reply for those of you that might read the posts in order to fix a similar problem.  As in the original post, if you hear a popping sound this should be a clear warning that sparks are being generated from the broken light switch. Stop using it immediately unless you want to burn your house down :'(   Make sure you have a fire extinguisher before doing the next step. If the breaker did not trip you should turn on the light and switch each breaker off and on till you find the breaker that turns the light off.  That will let you know that the power is gone. 

Now that you made sure that somebody isn't going to turn on the faulty switch go to a hardware store and buy a new switch.  If you aren't sure what switch you need, take the switch's cover off and look at the switch and it's wire setup.  Buy a switch that lets you screw the wires.  I just changed some that allow you to quickly and easily insert the wire.  Those are bad  >:( because plug and switch movements tends to loosen the wires over the years.

As far as changing the switch, you should unscrew the screws that hold the switch to the wall receptacle.  Then pull the switch slowly from the receptacle so that you can clearly see all wires attached to the switch.  Whichever wires that you remove from the old switch should be bent to a position that will not let it/them touch any other wires and that will allow you to remember where it/they go(es) on the new switch.  Screw the wires firmly on the new switch and leave it in a position that will allow you to test it.  Test it by turning on the breaker and turning the new switch to the "on" position.   If it works, turn off the switch and the breaker.  Now reinsert the new switch into the wall  receptacle--making sure the wires aren't crimped.  Reinsert all the screws to make sure the switch is safe and tight.  Then turn on the breaker and test the switch again.   You just saved money and prevented a house fire.   O0
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:27:50 PM by SmArtE »

How hard it is to replace a toilet?

Started by frankster

Replies: 4
Views: 1973
Last post February 11, 2009, 08:24:30 PM
by frankster
How often do you replace your water heater?

Started by frankster

Replies: 20
Views: 10387
Last post March 02, 2013, 07:45:21 PM
by bigbuck
5304440026 Frigidaire Switch

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3603
Last post March 08, 2009, 01:31:13 PM
by AJ
Old But Good Dehumidifier AC Motor Gone Bad. Can I replace? (Pictures)

Started by BPmax

Replies: 6
Views: 2422
Last post May 07, 2012, 07:23:27 AM
by BPmax
Pilot switch

Started by magician59

Replies: 15
Views: 5076
Last post March 12, 2010, 04:01:58 PM
by JWWebster
When to repair or Replace-avg life expectancy