Author Topic: Glisten brand dishwasher cleaner?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Glisten brand dishwasher cleaner?
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
Has anybody used the Glisten dishwasher cleaner?  Does it work? Does it work well?  What are your opinions?

I picked up a dishwasher for $10 that was crusted with soap residue.  I scrubbed it, ran vinegar through it, took it apart, flushed it, etc. 

Would this be good enough to work on that? 

Amazon has reviews here:  http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-Company-Inc-9012/dp/B000GLRF2E

Anybody have experience with it?

I bought some with my last order (it was an upsell from the salesperson) so I thought I'd give it a try.  I have another dishwasher that needs a good cleaning.  So I'll answer my own question in a day or so.

Anybody else have ideas for good dishwasher clean-up?  A property management company I know uses wood bleach.  I don't know what that might do to the seals...

Online LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Glisten brand dishwasher cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
I use Dishwasher Magic for cleanup after I service a dishwasher for scale or soap buildup. I also like Lemi-Shine. I don't have any direct experience with Glisten. I know i have two boxes on my truck for work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
Glisten is a very good cleaner and use to get it at the grocery store and a lot cheaper then the parts suppliers and get two packets in the box.But the grocery store does not have it anymore.Lemi-shine is also good and you can buy it at walmart.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »
Also i like cleaners that you use in the soap cup because once the cup opens the cleaner will stay in there longer before there is a drain cycle.Dishwasher Magic has a wax plug that melts at 125F then it is release into the dishwasher but there could be a drain cycle two minutes later.Its is a good product that i would cut out the wax and poor it in the dishwasher then add some water and then tell the customer to let it seat over night then finish running dishwasher the next day.In the summer time the wax plug would melt in my truck  anyway.Alot of these cleaners you should use more than once if you have a lot of build up.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »
Apparently, it is a citric acid concentrate.  It doesn't sound like it could be that strong, if it is 'vitamin C'   ???  I'll follow up with my review after I get it.

The wood bleach that I mentioned is basically Oxalic Acid.  It could be poisonous in higher concentrations, so I'm not sure that using that is a good idea.  (its in a lot of food, and is the compound that makes rhubarb leaves toxic)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:37:12 PM by andersenappliance »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
Most cleaners have some form of citric acid.In the old days Kitchenaid recommend Oxalic acid in there customers manuals to use in the soap cup to clean the dishwasher.You had to buy it at the drug stores.That was good stuff.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »
Use to use Tang breakfast drink, Now I use Country Time Lemonade and run a teaspoon with every load. Keeps it clean! Best is Dishwasher Magic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:58:06 PM by theoldstoveguy »

Brand new Roku 3 streaming video device

Started by go400

Replies: 3
Views: 914
Last post April 03, 2013, 06:27:07 AM
by go400