I credit the Kombucha more as it actually improves functions like the immune system, circulation, uptake of nutrients and reduced cellular aging. Go to web site www.happyherbalist.com
for the recepy. Some comments.
1) I boil my sugar with the tea to kill germs.
2) after every re-brew, I clean everything including the culture with vinegar, will not kill the Kombuche bacteria, but everything else.
3) I only use domestic orange Peco teas as I once had pesticides in an imported tea that destroyed my culture.
4) I add about 10 tablespoons of vinegar to each brew to kill germs.
5) If the culture will not turn white after a few days with new,heathy growth, but turns black and smells bad, it is bad,throw everything out and start over.
6) should be fuuly fermented in 7- 10 days, per Cornell university study, ideal temperature for growth is 80 degrees, I keep a heating pad under my large brewing vessel and keep a cloth on top
to keep flies out.
You can buy the tea at Wegmans $ 3.49 a bottle, tastes like ginger ale, but watered down.
I mix my brew with apple juice as it is rather "strong".
Per a doctor report, very few people are allergic to Kombucha, but some people cannot ingest an acidic drink.
It takes two to three months to get dramatic results, like increased energy, improved immune system, lower cholesteral, improved circulation, etc.
It also improves your sex life!