Author Topic: Which is the best?  (Read 847 times)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Which is the best?
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
I read all the reviews and as many of the reports about appliances but and still left with the question, which is the best. Of course, "best" must be defined. OK, here goes...

1- Family of two adults.
2- Do laundry for others from time to time.
3- Septic system.
4- Limited hot water.
5- Would like to be able to launder bedding (blankets, comforters, etc.).
6- Reliability is important.
7- Good value.

I think you get the idea. I just gave my old Maytag top loader to my daughter because her used Maytag MAH4000AWW Neptune had quit.

Those old Maytag t/l machines are hard to beat. I had to replace the water valve which had cracked from unheated garage storage (frozen). Oh, and upon taking the cabinet apart, I found that mice had devoured the printed wiring diagram behind the control panel. The wiring was all intact and the machine runs fine now that the new valve is installed.

I'm in the process of getting the Neptune up and running again with a repaired Control Board.

But, one day soon, I'll be yearning for a new washer. So, what do you experts think? Top loader, front loader, maybe a used commercial machine? I do not care about digital winking-blinking LEDs and washers that play music when they are finished. A plain Jane mechanical timer controlled machine would be fine as long as it does the job.

I'll await your replies and appreciate your comments.  :popcorn:

I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Which is the best?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »
#3- #4- #5 all point to a front loader. I used to like Whirlpool but I'm leaning toward LG these days. At least in laundry products.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »
Sorry but #5 is recommended for the newer top load washers.  LG makes one that has no center agitator and can handle large bedding and sleeping bags.  I'm actually letting customers know about the new top load washers because they don't have the mildew odor problem associated with front load washers.  Be sure to follow the owner's manual instructions for proper operation.  I've seen too many new owners with operational problems and I had to read the instruction manual to the customer on how to set the machine to wash bedding and large comforters.

Deciding on what's best is tough.  My recommendation is how hard is it to find someone to service your appliance quickly.  If you decide on LG, call LG's customer service and ask for the names of servicers in your area and call them to see if they are still authorized to service LG and will they be able to come out to your location if needed.  Do the same if you decide on a different brand as well.

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:52:50 AM »
Provided the projected floor the washer to be used on is SOLID, and hopefully it is in the basement on concrete. If so, LG front loader hands down IMHO. Make sure it has a built in heater. New models have tub clean, door plunger, and ample directions on how to keep the machine clean and odor free. It all comes down to proper maintainence. LG has been independently ranked #1 in front load laundry reliability 5 years in a row. It also will save the precious hot water in this particular case. Septic system should love it as well. Most newer models are equipped a bulky/large cycle or even a comforter cycle so you should be covered there. Value is there to me at close to retail price, but can often be found for half price, which makes it a no brainer to me. I recently have seen a reciept for a customers unit that is usually priced around $1299. She purchased on sale for $675. I personally would stay away from top load HE machines. All manufactures are new to the game and I beleive they will eventually improve them to have the same if not better reliability. LG has been in the front loader game hard for over 10 years and their washers show all the things learned in older models with improvements. Good luck. :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:54:38 AM by domain »

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
Provided the projected floor the washer to be used on is SOLID, and hopefully it is in the basement on concrete. If so, LG front loader hands down IMHO. Make sure it has a built in heater. New models have tub clean, door plunger, and ample directions on how to keep the machine clean and odor free. It all comes down to proper maintainence. LG has been independently ranked #1 in front load laundry reliability 5 years in a row. It also will save the precious hot water in this particular case. Septic system should love it as well. Most newer models are equipped a bulky/large cycle or even a comforter cycle so you should be covered there. Value is there to me at close to retail price, but can often be found for half price, which makes it a no brainer to me. I recently have seen a reciept for a customers unit that is usually priced around $1299. She purchased on sale for $675. I personally would stay away from top load HE machines. All manufactures are new to the game and I beleive they will eventually improve them to have the same if not better reliability. LG has been in the front loader game hard for over 10 years and their washers show all the things learned in older models with improvements. Good luck. :D

Thanks all for the responses. I value all your comments and suggestions.

Current t/l washer and electric dryer are located in the pantry on a wood floor over a crawl space. The floor is solid. However, it would be easy to add some bracing under the washer area if needed. I would also install a pan with drain in case of a leak. I am leaning toward a front loader however, until I have repaired and put some miles on the old Maytag Neptune MAH4000, I have no experience with front loaders except at  laundromats. If I could find a used Dexter front loader, I would snatch one up, repair it and install it in the garage along with a small electric water heater.
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Online niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
I' m with wild on this,the top loaders by LG are nice.