Forum > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

Maytag Fridge MFI2665XEW, Compressor running hot, Freezer at 36 degrees

(1/3) > >>

Crazy Johnny:
This unit is fairly new.  There was a needle valve on the compressor line when we got it.  We checked the pressure and it's fine.  The freezer is down to 36 degrees and the fridge is in the low 70s.  I found a service manual for a similar model, but running diagnostics is different with this model.  Does anyone have or know where to get a service manual?

AJ:
Hi,

--- Quote ---This unit is fairly new.  There was a needle valve on the compressor line when we got it.
--- End quote ---

About how old is it? You purchased it as new or used. A new unit should not have a valve on the compressor.

--- Quote ---We checked the pressure and it's fine.
--- End quote ---

What was the pressure?

Did you check the evaporator coil in the freezer to see what kind of frost pattern it had or if it was frozen up?

Crazy Johnny:
I'm not sure how old it is.  Would the date be encoded in the serial number?  We bought it from a liquidator.  The pressure was 38 psi.  There's no frost on the evaporator coil.

AJ:

--- Quote ---I'm not sure how old it is.  Would the date be encoded in the serial number?
--- End quote ---

I was just wondering, not a big deal.

--- Quote ---We bought it from a liquidator.
--- End quote ---

How long have you owned it?

--- Quote ---The pressure was 38 psi.  There's no frost on the evaporator coil.
--- End quote ---

If the compressor is running and you have no frost on the evaporator coil then you have a sealed system problem.

Sealed system repairs require special knowledge, tools and experience to be done correctly.

Refrigerators don't come from the factory with valves on the sealed system. It's a sure sign that it has had problems with the sealed system before and being it's giving you problems now I would also venture a guess that it was not properly repaired the first time.

Hope you did not pay to much for it or have at least got a lot of use out of it for your money before it quit on you.

AJ:
Also the pressure is way off. Suction/low side pressure should be around 0-5 psi with 5 being on the high side, 38 is way off it left field. That is assuming the valve is on the suction line to start with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version