365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: [off topic] Got Silver?  (Read 159 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
[off topic] Got Silver?
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
I have been collecting silver for years and I'm always looking for a deal.

I'm mostly interested in 1oz American Silver Eagles and 1oz Silver Maple Leafs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Silver_Eagle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Silver_Maple_Leaf

But if the price is right I'm also interested in 1964 and earlier U.S. coins and sliver bars.
http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Anyway this post is a nothing more then a shameless effort to help me grow my collection. ;)

The image I attached to this topic is a sample of what I like to collect.

Let me know if you happen to have any silver you would be interested in selling.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: [off topic] Got Silver?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
I been also collecting the 1 oz. Silver eagles 1986 - now, but do not have 2013 yet. I get all proof sets. Buy 1 every year. Very nice set. I was collecting the gold 1 oz. Silver eagles to, but sold all of them to build my addition on the house.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
That's really cool!

I only have one ASE proof, 2012.

I enjoy being able to handle the silver once in awhile so I mostly buy ASE and Maple Leafs just as bullion instead of proofs.

Once I get a tube full I put it away in a safe box at the bank. Love the feel of them and the sound silver bullion coins makes when you shuffle through a stack of them like poker chips, lol...

Years ago I just about purchased a 1 oz ASE gold coin, but never did and today they are just to expensive for me to collect.

Just purchase my first 2012 Silver Canada Moose on ebay this afternoon. Can't wait to see what it looks like in person.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »
I have a few ase certified coins, thats the way to go. I have some of the older proof silver eagles in a plastic case. After years in my safe i have noticed turning a rusty color on some them. but someone told me that what real silver does.keep buying ase certified,  you can't go wrong.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »
The rusty color is called toning.

Nothing wrong with buying certified or proofs, but I prefer plain old bullion.

I just don't care for the additional cost of proofs or certified coins and I'm not into collecting plastic. I prefer to take the extra money I save not buying proofs and spend it on more silver, but that's just how I roll.  ;)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »
If you can't get it in 10 minutes on a Sunday, it is not really yours.

Be safe, but Beware!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:20:48 PM by andersenappliance »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
If you can't get it in 10 minutes on a Sunday, it is not really yours.

Be safe, but Beware!!!

You don't trust banks?

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
Not Wells Fargo myself
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
Things i remember my grandma saying to me all the time...

Pay yourself first.
Don't keep your eggs all in one basket.
Save some money for a rainy day.

Something a instructor once said in a HAZMAT class I was in that always stuck with me after I heard it.

You have to watch out for #1 because no one else is going to.

and I thought we were a HAZMAT team... lol

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
You don't trust banks?

The financial system in this country is falling apart.  There is most likely no more gold in Ft. Knox.  It has been leased to certain entities that sold it and invested the money in Yen.  These leases are accounted for as physical gold in the Fed's accounting game.  Selling Yen and buying gold will not bring it back.  Germany is trying to get its gold back, just like Venezuela, and other countries.  Germany, in fact, was denied an audit of its gold by the Fed.  Depositors with segregated accounts in the MFGlobal and the Peregrine financial scandals lost money.  Money in segregated cash accounts, not invested or margin.  Back in '33, the IRS went into peoples safety deposit boxes and exchanged every $20 gold coin for a $20 federal reserve note - then devalued the dollar, making the $20 gold piece worth $35 (or the $20 bill worth $11.42).  The IRS values gold and silver coins according to their face value (except for rare antiques).  So if you have pre-'64 silver, or mint issued dollars with a $1 face value, they might be inclined to trade them in for you at face value.  California, for example, has been picking over safety deposit boxes at banks, and selling the proceeds, while putting aside an IOU for the owners, based upon the spurious claim that the owners could not be found, even in instances where the owner banked at the very same bank on a daily basis, and had current address info on file.  The word "rehypothecation" means that we have borrowed your assets, leased, lent, or pledged them as collateral, several times over, and aren't really sure who actually owns them - the courts will figure that out after the music stops.  Bank of America changed its corporate structure so that its bets on derivatives would be covered first, before the claims of depositors with checking and savings accounts, in the case of bankruptcy.   JPMorgan has been manipulating silver market by flooding the market with naked short selling (selling silver that does not exist) in order to keep the price down (these contracts can legally be settled in cash instead of delivering actual silver).  If the Gold price is not manipulated (it is, though) then Silver would historically be worth about a 16th of the value of an ounce of Gold: about $100.  The gov't knows this, but likes that this helps hide inflation.  Actually, nowadays, silver is rarer than gold, because it is used up in a variety of industrial uses that are very difficult to recycle (Photography, medical, electrical, brazing & soldering, optical, nano-, etc.) and most of the supply is secondary, and comes as a by product of mining lead, copper, tin, and gold.   That means that the supply has been drying up for years - one of the reasons we stopped using silver in 1964.  Today, the mint is having a hard time getting enough silver to meet demand for its bullion coins.  And, following Argentina's lead, there are commissions in the gov't looking into seizing your retirement accounts, folding them into the social security system, just to be sure every gets their fair share.

So the answer to your question is NO.

Keeping that stuff at home is risky too, but you must decide how you handle it.  There are a lot more people who want it than just the crackhead down the street!

The bank cannot be held liable for anything the gov't does in your accounts / safety deposit boxes.  And most likely, will not be held liable for anything they do.  Have you read any of the agreements that cover this sort of thing?  Not that it makes a difference, 'cause they've got money, lawyers and Senators, and you don't. ;D

Have a nice Day  :)

How to receive email notifications when a new topic is posted

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 55
Last post September 01, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
by Nwtech