Author Topic: Amana Washer ALW895SAW  (Read 1063 times)

Offline digerdo2

• VIP Member
Amana Washer ALW895SAW
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

Is the Idler Pully Wheel suppose to spin freely?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Glenda

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: Amana Washer ALW895SAW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »
Yes, the idler pulley wheel should spin free.

What's all wrong with your washer?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline digerdo2

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
It started agitating slowly and then stopped.  Some water came out the front of the machine on the floor.

I was told by another site that it was the belt, bell and seal.  The bell they sent is not the correct one.  The one taken from my washer has a pointed nose on it.  I have the parts list for my model and it is y2200109 they say thats what they sent me but there is no way it will work.  I have NOT taken the inner parts nor the inner tub nor outer tub out.   
I will replace the belt on the motor but noticed the Idler Pully Wheel does not spin.  So I will replace that along with the thrust washers.  Do I need to replace the shaft(inside the idler wheel) and the retaining clip too?

I have the "Repair Parts List" 2005 for Maytag has helped me a lot.  I also have the "Service Manual for Amana" it has helped also except I find my washer is somewhat different then the pictures.  I have the 15 series I believe and some of the pictures are not of the 15 so some of the parts look different.  According to the parts list my transmission should be 40032701 but mine has a longer spindle then the one pictured.
My parts connected to the tranny don't look like what is on page 20, 21 of the service manual, so I am reluctant to remove them.  According to the Parts list I would need the Triple Lip Seal and Bearing Kit Y2200460.  I don't even know what these parts are called let along be able to identify them when and if the right ones were to come.  Like I said the service manual shows different pictures and calls the parts by different names.  I think my washer is 10 years or more old.  Makes a difference.

So I thought I would start with the belt, idler pully wheel, replace those and then fire it up and see what happens.  If it leaks, then I will need to go further if not yeah!!.

Much thanks to appliancejunk.com and appliancepartspro.com for all the  help & documents they have emailed me.  :thanks:
Glenda

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
Do I need to replace the shaft(inside the idler wheel) and the retaining clip too?

Depends on how it looks, but I have always just replaced the wheel.

Offline digerdo2

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »
OK.  I need to find the tool that removes retaining clips and I will see what it looks like.

thanks for your help.

Glenda :thanks:

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

Let us know how it turns out for you or if you have any other questions.

Thanks for posting.  O0

Offline digerdo2

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
Hi,
Just to let you know just where I am with my washer.

I changed the belt, the idler pully wheel and cleaned up eveything and put the motor back in.

Now the motor just sits there and HUMS.  It will spin (using timer) but nothing else.

SOOOO  what did I do wrong???   Or now do I have a new problem?  Can you buy a new motor switch?  How do I check the motor start switch and start windings are they talking about inside the motor switch itself.  My schematic is not that good.   What kind of readings should I have and do I check it with the motor in place in the washer and the power on or do I pull the motor and check it outside the washer?  The motor I have is 40096303 3-speed with this transmission 27001038.

Thanks......................I really need help now.................I'm running out of clean clothes :2funny:

Glenda :'(

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »
Does everything turn freely by hand with the belt removed?
Does the motor run ok with the belt removed?

Offline digerdo2

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
Does everything turn freely by hand with the belt removed?
Does the motor run ok with the belt removed?

Yes ------everything turns freely by hand with belt on and belt removed.

No------- Motor hums all time that it is on.

:thanks:Glenda

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:31 AM »
On amana, make sure you grab the transmission pully,  turn it clockwise and make sure it turns freely,  then turn it counterclockwise and make sure it turns freely.     Alot of these amana's end up having transmission problems.   

If that is ok,  and this may sound stupid,  but when re-wiring the motor (putting in connector and putting 2 wires on capacitor),  did you wire capacitor right?   
There are usually 4 terminals on the Start cap,   and you want to make sure that you have one wire on each set of terminals,  not on the same terminal.   If you did,  motor would hum.     

If that is not the case,   motor might be bad.   Try running without belt and see what happens.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline digerdo2

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
On amana, make sure you grab the transmission pully,  turn it clockwise and make sure it turns freely,  then turn it counterclockwise and make sure it turns freely.     Alot of these amana's end up having transmission problems.   

If that is OK,  and this may sound stupid,  but when rewiring the motor (putting in connector and putting 2 wires on capacitor),  did you wire capacitor right?   
There are usually 4 terminals on the Start cap,   and you want to make sure that you have one wire on each set of terminals,  not on the same terminal.   If you did,  motor would hum.     

If that is not the case,   motor might be bad.   Try running without belt and see what happens.   

Thanks for your advice.  Yes did the turning counter and clockwise, everything turns freely.
Interesting about the capacitor.  My neighbor took the wires off the capacitor, he isn't home right now but he did mark the capacitor with the colors of the wires and it looks like violet is on one terminal and the red is on the other terminal so if this is the way he put it back on then yes wires are correct.  I will check with him later.  Did the motor running without belt thing and it stilled hummed.  We really think it is the Motor Switch on the motor but of course can't get just that.

I have ordered a new motor and will make sure the capacitor is right.  Have to wait awhile for the motor.

So how else can I tell if  the transmission is bad?  Oh great don't want to go to the expense of putting a new one of those in.

Also the bell drive is really weird, it looks like the nose of the space shuttle, I know it sounds stupid but it really does.  All the parts stores want to sell me the shorter version and I keep telling them that's not the right one and they don't believe me.  I think I have the 15 series and am unsure of some of the parts that really belong to it in the diagrams I have, just hope I don't need to order more parts
Do you have the TECH SHEET RT3100024, I have the SERVICE MANUAL(Maytag) and the PARTS LIST.(Amana)

Do you know the part number of the, I don't know what else to call them but dogs, they were below the bell drive above the seal and hub.  These don't show up on my PARTS LIST.  They are not splines are they?  My PARTS LIST shows filter, o-ring seal looks like hub and bearing and bolts for the inner tub diagram. Is it part of the Triple Lip Seal/Bearing Kit.

Well again thanks for the advice I will follow it when we get the Motor. ......... :thanks:Glenda

How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 25183
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
Amana Washer - Won't stop filling with water.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2894
Last post January 03, 2008, 08:46:14 PM
by AJ
16022937 Maytag Amana Top Load Washer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1980
Last post May 24, 2008, 09:30:09 AM
by AJ
16026502 Maytag Amana Top Load Washer Service Repair Manual