Author Topic: How many service calls per day?  (Read 931 times)

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: How many service calls per day?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:10:14 AM »
It all depends. There are many variables that come into play. Where are the calls located from your start point? How many of those calls are near a parts house? How many of those calls do you have a model number of the appliance? What parts do you stock on your truck? And are the calls collect or warranty calls?

I can handle anywhere from 7 to 11 calls a day for the blue nightmare. I try to complete at least 6 a day to keep my productivity numbers up.

I haven't really been on my own so I can't really say how much I can handle. The most I've done is 6 and they were not refrigeration. They were in the same city as a parts house so I was able to complete them. I try to get paid same day. I have one client that seems to take over a month to pay me. But they pay blue book prices so I don't complain too much...
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Ericfe

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »
It all depends. There are many variables that come into play. Where are the calls located from your start point? How many of those calls are near a parts house? How many of those calls do you have a model number of the appliance? What parts do you stock on your truck? And are the calls collect or warranty calls?

I can handle anywhere from 7 to 11 calls a day for the blue nightmare. I try to complete at least 6 a day to keep my productivity numbers up.

I haven't really been on my own so I can't really say how much I can handle. The most I've done is 6 and they were not refrigeration. They were in the same city as a parts house so I was able to complete them. I try to get paid same day. I have one client that seems to take over a month to pay me. But they pay blue book prices so I don't complain too much...

Thanks for the reply! Let's suppose we have to make 5 mile trips on average between every client and the part house (that is the reality in the city I am in). We have the model number for every call, but we don't know exactly what part will be replaced. No stock in the truck. No warranties.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 11:25:47 AM »
I worked for a Samsung only authorized center. 8 calls a day average, up to 13 units if someone called in. Tons of stock parts. 90 percent is a realistic first time complete rate. It was insane. All the parts were with me in truck or sent with me, NO parts house runs

Offline Ericfe

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »
I worked for a Samsung only authorized center. 8 calls a day average, up to 13 units if someone called in. Tons of stock parts. 90 percent is a realistic first time complete rate. It was insane. All the parts were with me in truck or sent with me, NO parts house runs

Wow nice job! You are fast!  O0

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »
as others have said it all depends on what your working on and where your calls are.

I shoot for around 8 calls a day in the winter, I cover a VERY large area and snow sometimes throws this out the window, during the summer with good driving weather I can get in 9 a day without much trouble and still be done around 4-5... however I usually work later and try to crank out more calls, my wife works midnights so I'd just be sitting around home bored anyway...   on a good day I can get in 13-14 calls and get done around 8-9pm... we get a lot of customers who want last or after 4 appointments because they work and aren't available during the day.

I  usually stay around 60-70% one trip completes, we do a lot of extended warranty work and get calls for all makes and models which makes it a bit harder to keep all the possible parts we'd need as truck stock...  If your focused on fewer appliance types you could do much better by better matching your truck stock up with the calls you see...

really though no amount of averages from us will beat out research on your part. we go over our truck stock quarterly and will adjust it to match whats ordered, personally I think if you find yourself using at least one of a given part a month then you should probably stock it provided it's not insanely expensive, fragile, or oversized...     you need to figure out what your going to see a lot of and plan for that.

also we expect payment in full upon completion of the repair.    if the person paying for the repair can't be on site for it we ask to put a credit card on file before we go out.   if we have to order parts then we charge a deposit that at minimum covers the cost of the part and shipping, this of course comes off the total when we return and finish the repair.

also you may want to figure out how many parts suppliers are in your area.. I live about 5 minutes from one and will often pick up parts I need during the day in order to get a same day complete... being able to pick up an odd part for same day service (or even for next day service if the drive time to and back to that customer isn't reasonable) can be a great selling point for a lot of jobs.

Offline Ericfe

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:24:35 AM »
as others have said it all depends on what your working on and where your calls are.

I shoot for around 8 calls a day in the winter, I cover a VERY large area and snow sometimes throws this out the window, during the summer with good driving weather I can get in 9 a day without much trouble and still be done around 4-5... however I usually work later and try to crank out more calls, my wife works midnights so I'd just be sitting around home bored anyway...   on a good day I can get in 13-14 calls and get done around 8-9pm... we get a lot of customers who want last or after 4 appointments because they work and aren't available during the day.

I  usually stay around 60-70% one trip completes, we do a lot of extended warranty work and get calls for all makes and models which makes it a bit harder to keep all the possible parts we'd need as truck stock...  If your focused on fewer appliance types you could do much better by better matching your truck stock up with the calls you see...

really though no amount of averages from us will beat out research on your part. we go over our truck stock quarterly and will adjust it to match whats ordered, personally I think if you find yourself using at least one of a given part a month then you should probably stock it provided it's not insanely expensive, fragile, or oversized...     you need to figure out what your going to see a lot of and plan for that.

also we expect payment in full upon completion of the repair.    if the person paying for the repair can't be on site for it we ask to put a credit card on file before we go out.   if we have to order parts then we charge a deposit that at minimum covers the cost of the part and shipping, this of course comes off the total when we return and finish the repair.

also you may want to figure out how many parts suppliers are in your area.. I live about 5 minutes from one and will often pick up parts I need during the day in order to get a same day complete... being able to pick up an odd part for same day service (or even for next day service if the drive time to and back to that customer isn't reasonable) can be a great selling point for a lot of jobs.

Thanks for the detailed answer! Lots of good information!  In my area most of the calls are for refrigerator repair (about 80%). I've read in some sources that a refrigerator repair will take on average 2 hours to be done. Do you think this is correct? Then we would be talking about 3 repairs/day (because of the time to move between clients and parts house). Am I right?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »
I've figured that to live and eat and pay my bills every month, I need to do about $160.00 per day, 5 days a week.  Anything over that is pure profit.  I average about 5 - 6 calls per day depending on the calls.  You situation may be different.  Average about 80% first time completes.  2 hour windows to work on each job.  Sometimes, I don't have the part in my stock but the local supplier does so I make the effort to get it and come back to complete the job before moving on to the next job.  Best to do quality work than quantity.   O0
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline Ericfe

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »
I've figured that to live and eat and pay my bills every month, I need to do about $160.00 per day, 5 days a week.  Anything over that is pure profit.  I average about 5 - 6 calls per day depending on the calls.  You situation may be different.  Average about 80% first time completes.  2 hour windows to work on each job.  Sometimes, I don't have the part in my stock but the local supplier does so I make the effort to get it and come back to complete the job before moving on to the next job.  Best to do quality work than quantity.   O0

Thanks for the detailed and honest comment. This is the exact kind of information I was looking for! Great work!

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 02:45:59 AM »
Area,  old stove,   is right on.    I live in a pretty saturated population area.    I average usually 9 to 12 a day,   with as high as 15 a day if I get clusters of calls in some areas.    For instance,   Thurs this week did 14 calls,   did 11 on friday (quit a little early)  and did 7 Saturday working from 8 to 1:30.    Other days may only do 7 or 8 if some are time consuming.      If calls need a board or some other part I don't have,    they may not be complete that day although if I am within 10 minutes of parts store and they have part,   I will go there and come back to finish.     I would say 70 to 80 percent completes a day is a fair average,    and I get paid as soon as job is complete.      Other day,  had 2 circuit board jobs,   diagnosed in morning,  came back by end of day to finish and get paid.     The only time I don't get paid that day is when I do work for some landlords or management companies.     These are ones I work with,   trust,  and know I will get paid within a week or two.     Others that I had and do not pay promptly,    I have declined to work for them anymore.    Not worth waiting 2 or 3 months for money,   I won't do it.
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Help others and post about your service calls.

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 3466
Last post June 06, 2012, 09:08:12 AM
by AJ
Wanted: GE factory authorized appliance repair service technician

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 10795
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:25:48 AM
by BrntToast
16009127 Maytag Neptune Stacked Laundry Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5397
Last post March 29, 2008, 06:34:56 AM
by AJ
Sears Loss/Wants To Sell Service Agreement Unit

Started by john63

Replies: 16
Views: 5638
Last post May 30, 2013, 10:34:46 AM
by andersenappliance
Share your experience with (Sears) 'A&E Factory Service' with the rest of us.

Started by AJ

Replies: 22
Views: 4129
Last post February 11, 2015, 08:09:01 PM
by rbmappltech
Sears applicance service

Started by sherry

Replies: 2
Views: 2670
Last post October 09, 2008, 02:09:37 PM
by JWWebster