Author Topic: GE Profile Gas Dryer Shuts down after 10 seconds  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
GE Profile Gas Dryer Shuts down after 10 seconds
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
I have a GE Profile Gas Dryer - Model # DPVH880GJMG Front Load Gas Dryer (7.5 Cubic Feet) that shuts down after only 10 seconds of run time, 1st time I'm working on one of these bad boys. They have 2 separate motors, one for the drive belt another motor for the blower fan. Once again the tech sheet is missing on this Dryer so I can't even run a Diagnostic test. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Dryer will start up again time and time again but shuts off after only 10 seconds????

Anyone happen to have a tech sheet to this one? I would even consider buying a Service Manual just to have around in the event I run into this type of machine again.

Thanks again.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Profile Gas Dryer Shuts down after 10 seconds
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
Can you post any photos of the machine? I would say the thermistor is open and the control cannot get a reading then it shuts down. On a gas dryer the fuse also if it is bad usually means the gas assembly won't get power. I am leaning toward an open or shorted thermitor though. Let us know what you find out
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:16:00 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »
Do you know the part # for the thermistor?

There are three thermostats listed: outlet control (#240), Rack Dry Thermostat (#197), T-Stat Out Thermostat (#230)

Do you know which one is the Thermistor. Parts diagram does not list Thermistor

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
I could not find a service manual or tech sheet for this model, sorry.

I did find a similar topic on a similar GE model dryer, but the topic starter never did come back and let us know what the solution ended up being. :(

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0

Maybe another tech will be able to help us out.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
I would think it would be the outlet control WE4M448 or WE4M300 see if any of em is open parts 230 and/or maybe 240:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/G1212171-00005.png

Note: above link was the only one I could find.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:18:36 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
Any chance you know how to get into the diagnostics. There's no tech sheet just a schematic

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »
JW I just replaced the thermistor on this unit, (#240) it came in today. I ohm'd out all the thermostats with no luck. The Dryer will start but shuts off once the start button is pushed - It only runs 6 seconds then clicks off. I can push the button again but same issue - shuts off after another 6 seconds. Tried different settings and everything. Anything else I can try - I tried to download a picture of this bad boy but file is too big. This is a newer Fancy Dryer with the triangle looking door.

Called GE and they said I need Service Manual Publication # 31-9167 - They wouldn't tell me how to get this machine into Diagnostic mode either.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:37:11 PM »
Check my cache of service manual for 31-9167 and come up empty. :(

Hopefully one of our other members can locate a copy for us.

Here is the photo of the dryer Blaiser emailed me.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
I found this on a google search. Better than nothing i guess.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
LowSL2 - THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE BROCHURE.

FYI - To get into Diagnostics you have to have the dryer plugged in but display OFF.

Press "MY CYCLE" button, then the "DELAY START" button, then "MY CYCLE" button, then the "DELAY START" Button - this will get you into the Diagnostic Screen that says "SERVICE MODE TEST". Let you know how I faired out!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »
cool
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
Ok got into Self Test Diagnostics: Here is what I found.

Step 1. Configure User Interface - this test OK.
Step 2. Error Codes - E12 Registered on the Display which said E12 Drum Motor -Description was: Motor is not rotating properly or centrifugal switch is bad. Please check. (So I removed motor and opened up the switch to see if I had any burnt contacts, removed every contact pin and cleaned up contacts just to be sure and found really nothing burnt). Reinstalled motor, cleared the motor error code and retested the motor thru Diagnostics - Motor worked FINE thru the Diagnostics with NO ERRORS.

Step 3. Checked Outlet Thermistor - Machine displays out thermistor temperature then when you hit the enter button the Drum is suppose to tumble and change directions every 30 seconds. Well the Drum tumbles but DOES NOT CHANGE DIRECTION like it is suppose to ???????

Step 4. Checked Inlet Thermistor - everything checkout perfect here and this test displays thermistor temperature then when you hit the enter button the Drum is suppose to tumble and change direction every 30 seconds - It actually stops and DOES changes directions like it is suppose to. Work perfectly on this cycle!

Step 5. Checked Moisture Sensor - This worked perfectly - no issues here.

Step 6. Checked Blower/Exhaust - Blower turns on and UI displays rpm. Well the Blower motor turns on BUT THE UI WILL NOT DISPLAY THE TRUE RPM's like it's suppose to ???

Step 7. Checked Dryer Rack - Displays Dryer rack temperature - no issues here either.

I have two issues now, but none are showing up in the diagnostics error codes. One being no RPM's being shown on Blower Exhaust and the INLET Thermistor does not reverse drum directions when in Diagnostics.

The weird thing now is I'll exit the program and try to run the Dryer in normal mode and run the Dryer and the minute I unplug the unit and let it sit for 30 seconds, I plug it back in to run the dryer normally the Dryer will shut down after 6 seconds after I hit the enter button. NO ERRORS REGISTER, THE MOTOR JUST SHUTS DOWN. I CAN'T EVEN GET THE GAS DRYER TO FIRE UP BECAUSE THE MOTOR SHUTS DOWN AFTER 6 SECONDS?????

ANY THOUGHTS OUT THERE??? I'm thinking right now Motor Related ?? But would it be Drive motor or Blower motor causing this?  BANGING MY HEAD ON THIS ONE.

Any help would be appreciated...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »
My idea (by the way I never ever messed with one of these either) is the contacts within the switch are fries in the one direction that is not going to. Shheesh what a piece of crap. WHY DO WE NEED THE DAMN DRUM TO TURN BOTH DIRECTIONS) ok rant over. You must need to geta new motor to remedy this. You are down to the most frustrating area an appliance person see: Is it the motor or is it the Control? Crappy crappy crappy  :tickedoff:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »
If the blower motor is whacked, I can see the computer knowing it and shutting down.  It wouldn't want heat if there is nowhere to go.  If it can't read rpm. then it might think it is whacked.  There is a tachometer on the rear of the thing that sends that info.

Is the ignitor ok?

Try putting a wet rag on the moisture sensors?  I had a devil of a time with a dryer once that would not run because "the clothes were dry."

You said gas dryer, and that fuse would kill the thing.  But...."On the electric model, an open fuse on the L1 (red wire) will result in a totally inoperative dryer.An open fuse on the L2 (black wire) will allow the control panel to function, including the service test mode, but the dryer will not operate. Identify and correct the problem when replacing an open fuse."

* The maximum dryer airfl ow is 150 CFM (cubic feet per minute). The service mode does not provide information about CFM. The only information that is provided is the condition of the exhaust system represented by blower motor RPM. Blower motor RPM will increase as the dryer exhaust system becomes partially restricted or restricted.

You said it doesn't display true rpm's - maybe you have a dead cat in the vent?

This model apparently has the whole gas safety valve, coils, pipe, etc. replaced as one unit.  $250!  What a joke.

Anyway, just throwing out ideas...

Let us know what you find.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »
I have the service manual for this model but can't attach it since the file size is too big. AJ, do you have an email addy i can send it to?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

LG Gas Dryer - Heat comes on for a few seconds and shuts down

Started by Joe LG

Replies: 8
Views: 3897
Last post May 13, 2010, 07:19:38 PM
by john63
GE profile harmony dryer will not heat up

Started by stim

Replies: 11