365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Truck Stock Inventory?  (Read 247 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Truck Stock Inventory?
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
How do you guys handle it?

I like dab's idea of coding in the wholesale & retail price.

I'm building truck stock bit by bit, when I see I'm using something a lot, or when the opportunity arises, buying larger kits to get the one or two pieces I need & keeping the rest on hand.

I've seen a lot of lists, but I'm not sure I want to pay for that yet.  I can probably get good info off of 'most popular' parts from some of these websites.

Places like Marcone have a 'program' where they will fit you out with $3k worth of stuff, but I don't know if they'll be giving you useful parts or not.  I can see getting 80% good stuff, and 20% junk that they can't give away.

I've also seen some prices jump by 40% when you go to get the same part a few months later.  I'd want to do my best to sell my stock at current retail, not old retail, but I guess that'd be difficult without checking prices every week.

How do you account for your inventory?

How do you organize it in the truck?

What extras are advisable to keep out side of parts?

I know these are basic questions, but since I'm starting with a clean slate, I figure advice from the experienced would be very helpful, rather than learning from my own mistakes!    :D

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Truck Stock Inventory?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »
You right about parts jumping in price so you almost have to make a sticker on the part bag or box because they change it so often.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
I use a lot of those plastic zip lock bags and put all maybe say  all your thermostat in it for dryers and label it .Those bags you can get up to small though large and the large ones hold 2 gallons and organize it to whirlpool ,G.E etc.Parts.Thay are good for the small parts and larger parts.If i get a no heat on a dryer i have a zip lock bag with most of all the poplar thermostats in it a gas coil kit a, door switch,thermals fuses,door catch,flame sensor,thermistor and etc and bring it in the house with my tool box and most of the time i will not have to go back to the truck unless i have to vacuum dryer out which i will probably do any way.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
Anderson here are some poplar items.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
More

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
You could pick and choose from these parts.Something like a wh23x42 pump for a G.E. washer would be low on my list.Have not done one of those in at least 5 years where i live. Have one on truck would love to get rid of it one day.

Offline Tuco

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
I have a few basics that I can afford. I focus on fridges and washers for the " I need it now" stuff. For fridges I have some defrost heaters and most defrost thermal shut off switch's(cheap and small).  999 fan motor.

Washer lid switches, WP/dd stuff, generic water valve ..etc

Dryers, have WP electric heaters for 27" an 29" ,roller and belt kits, and thermal switch's.

elertic ranges , a few burners and burner connectors.

I have one ,badger 5  in sink garbage disposer.  No home depot near me so I keep that in my stock other wise I wouldn't sink money into that.

I also don't have a parts store near my house. So a few basic things like hoses (washer,and dish washer) clamps, butt connectors,. high heat connectors,.. tools, go a long way. But  I do order parts as needed. Sometimes it works against me though.

I haven't went deep with front load washers or mother boards( I do look for burns that might be solderable) . And of course no system work. I condemn if I find a bad frost pattern on the evaporator.

I'm still a part timer working from the trunk of my car. So take it for what is worth.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Truck Stock Inventory?
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »
Heck my van has over $20,000 in parts on it and I still order over 40 percent of my calls the parts that it needs. My van is stocked for me and I have no input on what goes on. Most my calls are on new to 3 year old appliances . It seems lately  I am working on more units  I have never saw before or have no information on. But it's whats out there and somebody did the hard part they built it , now we just got to make it work.

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
20K in Parts!!

I keep jokin' that I should jack an A&E or Sears van, but somehow that doesn't fit into my business plan.

Its hard to buy a house in 5 years if your doing 15-20 hard time.   :D

Still, I bet you could drop that inventory by 80% (to 4k) and not have your ordering go up more that 50%.  (80/20 rule)

That's why I don't want to go on a 'program.'

Aspen has a washer "truck stock" kit for $350.  It looks good, but the savings is less than 10%.  Its a bit better for the dryer.

They're working on kits for other appliances.

I'd  be interested to see what they'll come up with. 

But over all, I can save the 10% by not buying stuff I don't need or more of stuff I have.

They'd get my attention if they'd give free shipping at $100, +5% off at $150, 10% at $200, etc.

Heck, you don't get much break for frontloader door locks over what you can get from anyone on the web, for one example.

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
The "part bag" kit is a good idea.  I don't mind running out to my van, but right now my system is:

"I'm pretty sure I had one of those, or one like it!  What did I do with it?  Dang!  lemme think...did I use it for that job? or is it at the shop?

::)

new service truck

Started by BrntToast

Replies: 4
Views: 112
Last post December 18, 2008, 07:45:02 AM
by JWWebster
Thinking of buying this truck tomorrow

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 14
Views: 153
Last post July 30, 2010, 02:48:50 PM
by JWWebster
Billing & Inventory Software?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 89
Last post January 15, 2011, 10:03:46 PM
by Johns Repair
stair climbing hand truck

Started by kellonnie

Replies: 0
Views: 50
Last post June 19, 2011, 03:29:39 PM
by kellonnie
We're dumping our excessed inventory (on eBay) : Comments?

Started by rmbraught

Replies: 20
Views: 250
Last post December 02, 2011, 04:46:26 PM
by whirlpooltech
What truck works best?

Started by Nwtech

Replies: 48
Views: 645
Last post September 03, 2012, 01:41:18 AM
by Wedgeman55