Author Topic: Replace drive basket and support seal  (Read 495 times)

Offline johnrballard

• VIP Member
Replace drive basket and support seal
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
I own a  Kenmore (Whirlpool) Residential washer (#11028832700) that has been operating for about 5 years.   (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-11028832700/0582/0153200)

I am experiencing intermittent oily/grease on clothes.  Usually it shows up on the darker items.  After reading several posts here and at other sites I have determined that there appears to be oily leaking out of one or two places in the washer.

I have torn the washer down and there is oily residue on the inside of the agitator and the agitator auger.  There is no oily residue on the floor or on the case of the machine.

Here are my questions

1. How do I know which seal has failed?  I see the upper drive basket seal and the low support seal as the two potential sites of failure.

2. Can I replace just the seal on the drive basket and support assembly?

3.  If I can replace just the seal, what is the best way to do this?

4.  If I cannot replace just the seal, do I need a new drive basket and tripod support assembly?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:06:13 PM by johnrballard »

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Replace drive basket and support seal
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
This is a rare complaint on this washer. Traditionally the upper seal fails and lets water into the transmission. Water being heavier than oil,goes to the bottom of the transmission and when it is full starts to push oil back out the top. Doesn't happen in this washer because the spin tube isn't directly attached to the transmission. Oil would come out on the floor instead. So lets look at the spin tube. There shouldn't be any appreciable amount of oil or grease in it unless someone put it there for some reason. The agitator forms an air dome which helps keep the water in the tub from exerting much pressure on the seals. So the under side of the agitator can look pretty disgusting but thats normal.The fact that the stain shows up more on dark clothes is kind of interesting. Can you post up a picture of one of the items?

Offline johnrballard

• VIP Member
Re: Replace drive basket and support seal
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »
I have pasted two pictures.  I tried to take more but they really didn't show up that well.  On black clothes it looks like a slight different color black. 

Just to mention a couple of common questions.  We use liquid soap and have never used fabric softener.  The stains will not come out. (ERA, SHOUT, OXYClean, etc)

I have been through the whole machine and noticed there was some type of lighter (in weight) oil in the drive tube next to the agitator shaft.  I have taken everything out, wiped cleaned etc.  I replaced the seal on the drive shaft and the rubber seal on the screw that holds the agitator cam. 

Now I put it all back together to test and find a new development ... the timer does not advance, not sure here because I didn't touch the timer.  (Hints?) 

So what do you think?

Video: How To Replace a Water Pump On A Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6799
Last post August 10, 2007, 08:42:54 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal

Started by AJ

Replies: 39
Views: 66154
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:16:46 AM