Author Topic: Frigidaire FPHD2491KFO will not drain completely  (Read 7908 times)

Offline MachManStan

• VIP Member
Frigidaire FPHD2491KFO will not drain completely
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
Hi All,

I am having a problem with my Frigidaire FPHD2491KFO dishwasher not completely draining. I have removed and cleaned all filters and even took apart the sump assembly and find no obstructions. I also removed the drain hose from the garbage disposal and there is no obstruction there either. I was able to run a rinse only cycle with the drain host removed and the pump is removing some water, but after the complete cycle, there is still water standing in the bottom of the dishwasher. If I open the door and push the cancel button and then shut the door it forces another drain cycle and more water is removed. I did this once more and all but a little water in that can be seen in the bottom of the large particle filter is removed.

I first thought that the problem was the drain pump but now I am not so sure. The water is draining, but it does not drain all of the water on only one drain cycle.

Any ideas on what might be causing this problem would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has access to a service manual for this model, I would like to get a copy.

Thanks,

Stan

Online LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Frigidaire FPHD2491KFO will not drain completely
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
It could be a faulty drain pump motor. If the impellers are chewed up, or inside the housing, it won't flow well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
You can disassemble the drain pump for inspection.
There may be a clog or bad impeller in the pump.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »
If you are sure there are no clogs or restriction in the drain line the replace the pump, part # 5304475636
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline MachManStan

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  My suspicion was the drain pump as well.  I ordered one already and will pick it up today.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.  If not, I am sure I will be back here asking for more help.

Thanks again.

Stan :thanks:

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:26:34 AM »
Let us know if the new pump solves the problem.   O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline MachManStan

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
Well, I installed the new pump and things seemed to be working fine until this weekend.  Water is standing in the bottom of the dishwasher.  I tried running it through the rinse only cycle and after a minute canceling the operation.  When I did this previously it would cause the water to pump out.  I could not get the pump to engage at all.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stan

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
Hose plugged ?Drain hose.

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »
My 5 year old Frigidaire d/w (model number unknown) does not drain dry at the end of the last rinse cycle. I speculate that the engineers wanted water to remain in the bottom of the washer compartment to steam when the drying element comes on during the drying cycle thereby providing steam sterilization of the contents. After the dishwasher completes the end of cycle and is off, I can manually pump out the remaining water by pressing the start button twice and stopping the pump out by pressing the same button. I believe this is a deliberate feature. Also, I would further speculate that some water remaining in the washer cabinet keeps seals leak free.

But, I am no expert so comments are welcome and solicited.   :popcorn:

I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
Plugged drain hose. Remove and clean.  :D

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
You should never see standing water in the bottom after the cycle is finished. There always is some water left in the pump but not visible to the consumer. A problem I find a lot these days are grease blockages when the drain hose is hooked to the disposal. I use a piece of 5/16 plastic tubing and run it down the hose to clear it. You also should not see water in the dry cycle. Hard to dry dishes if you are steaming them at the same time.

Offline lesguns

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
sounds like its the drain hose-remove it completely and check for obstructions!

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
You should never see standing water in the bottom after the cycle is finished. There always is some water left in the pump but not visible to the consumer. A problem I find a lot these days are grease blockages when the drain hose is hooked to the disposal. I use a piece of 5/16 plastic tubing and run it down the hose to clear it. You also should not see water in the dry cycle. Hard to dry dishes if you are steaming them at the same time.

I have no disposal. The d/w drain line is plumbed to the sink drain and is free flowing with no back pressure or obstruction and has always been so. The d/w has always had visible water in the tub at the end of the rinse cycle, before heated dry cycle begins. Where should I start looking to insure proper pump out? Timer possibly? Is the FDB1050REM2 a mechanical timer or are there electronic controls in this model? Does the pump get clogged on this model? Will removing the strainer and screens expose the pump impeller or is disassembly of the d/w required to expose the pump impeller and chamber?

My wife has always postulated that the d/w washer was supposed to pump out dry at the end of the last rinse cycle. If she is correct, and I now suspect she is, I'm gonna take quite a beating (verbally, that is)   :tickedoff:. So, I am preparing an extended trip alone on the BMW to give her some cool down time.  :embarassed:
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline lesguns

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
is your drain hose anchored towards the top of the sink before going down to the dw?

Offline MachManStan

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »
Hi All,

I pulled the dishwasher last night and removed the drain hose from the disposal and from the drain pump.  I ran some water and air from a compresser through it and removed what looked like a flattened piece of plastic tubing (think a flattened drinking straw only wider and thicker).  Water will flow through the hose but only at a trickle.  The water was just from the kitchen faucet and it was not pressurized at all.  I am thinking that the length of the hose and the up and down winding of it might now allow for a steady flow of water. 

After reassembling the hose I started the dishwasher in rinse only mode and let it fill completely.  After letting the water circulate for a minute or so I opened the door and cancelled the cycle, then shut the door.  In the past this would cause the dishwasher to go through a drain cycle.  This time, the pump did not even start. I checked the electrical connections to the pump and they were all secure.  Is there a separate relay that send power to the pump or is it just part of the main circuit board?  Is there a way that I can force the drain pump to start?  I just replaced the pump less than a month ago, so it shouldn't be the pump (however i suppose it could be).

Lesguns - no the drain hose is not anchored toward the top of the sink.  It never has been attached that way and I have not had this problem before.  I can do that if you think that will help, but I really think there is another problem since the pump will not even start.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Stan

Frigidaire Dishwasher Won't Drain

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 13631
Last post August 04, 2008, 07:23:26 AM
by TechnicianBrian
154640201 Frigidaire Dishwasher Water Drain Pump

Started by AJ

Views: 5116
Last post April 03, 2009, 12:29:25 PM
by AJ
154580301 Frigidaire Dishwasher Water Drain Pump

Started by AJ

Views: 5080
Last post April 15, 2009, 04:21:35 PM
by AJ
Service Manual for Frigidaire FPHD2491KFO

Started by MachManStan

Replies: 1
Views: 2036
Last post January 10, 2013, 03:35:52 PM
by AJ
Frigidaire FPHD2491KFO strange issue, please help

Started by Dedline

Replies: 3
Views: 1061
Last post September 09, 2013, 06:28:09 PM
by Bailey
Kenmore Dishwasher - Doesn't always drain.

Started by yeltu1188

Replies: 1
Views: 4636
Last post September 15, 2007, 10:36:53 AM
by Pegi