Author Topic: Whirlpool’s future home is a tech marvel  (Read 1220 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Whirlpool’s future home is a tech marvel
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
The appliance maker also showed off the CoolVox refrigerator, that uses Bluetooth to blast your Spotify playlists from a speaker in its door.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2024294/whirlpool-future-home-is-a-tech-marvel.html

Seems I have been hearing about smart "internet" type of appliances since the mid to late 1990's, but have never seen any such appliances in the real world.

Is there really that much of a market for such appliances?

Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool’s future home is a tech marvel
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:57 PM »
There will be. The 35 and younger crowd has grown up with technology. The smart phones and tablets will become even more integral to their lives. My 9 year old granddaughter is so tech savvy. She was here yesterday downloading Minecraft to our computer. Watching her I felt like I was getting farther behind with this stuff. You can already control things around the house with you phone. By the time she is ready to leave home, she will expect it to do more. I think the only thing keeping people from buying these new appliances is the price. But that will come down. More and more houses are being built with the wiring needed for this. The good Lord willing I've got 25 to 30 years left, maybe I'll live in a house where I can check the refrigerator inventory when I'm at the grocery store.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
I heard where the next thing is the power meter ( supplied by the power company on your house) will be able to "talk" to the appliance and have it run during certain hours to save electricity. They already send the billing info. from the meter to the office, so no more meter reader.  Maybe it will cause more trouble than it's worth. Big brother here we come! They will know what refrigerator we own,washer and such.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
Note to self: Duck Tape Tablet to ice box high tech redneck :D

Come to think of it velcro might work!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:12:24 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 05:45:06 AM »
I've been hearing about this for many years.    Remember Microwave dryer,  The Refrigerator with the TV in the door,  the great Polara oven that was also a combo refrigerator/oven.     Many innovations,  but for the masses of people who make the average, lower wages,   I don't believe you'll see it.    I think I will be many years retired before the smart technology becomes standard in appliances.     But,  if not,  hey ---more stuff to break down and repair.   So why worry about it.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
The world of technology is evolving for sure.   Look at what is available today in some autos!   I would not pay for those because I don't want to figure out how to work them!   But it is great advertising fodder, and I expect we will see the same thing....in the very high end appliances.

Now, the first time a homeowner has to get an expensive consult from the Geek Squad to fix his washing machine, he may start having second thoughts!    I don't know how all you great techs keep up with the digital controls on todays appliances.   Learning the internet interface will be a whole new challenge for you!!!!!!

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »
An Internet interface would be welcome.  Punching  button combos and translating flashing LED's is cumbersome.  Also, when the diagnostic test hits a bump, and stops, you could restart at the next step.

But for true functionality, every item that contacts the machine needs to be labeled with rfid.  Lingerie that needs delicate wash, sweaters that need low temp dry, beer that should be 32.5 degrees, frozen pizzas that need to be replenished all need rfid tags so the appliance can handle them.

Putting TV's and stereos in appliances is simply a bunch of crap.  ;D

Whirlpool Tech Sheets, Wiring Diagrams & Error Codes

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7391
Last post December 11, 2008, 10:20:48 PM
by AJ
Top Ten Whirlpool Service Manuals, Error Fault Codes & Tech Sheets

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 32450
Last post January 18, 2009, 03:07:23 PM