Author Topic: LG Dishwasher with LE error code  (Read 102772 times)

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG Dishwasher with LE error code
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2013, 12:57:02 AM »
<<<However, this time wires were fine>>>

Verify that all previously repaired/taped wires are fine (especially the thin low voltage wires).

Inspect the wires at the bottom of the door too---inside the plastic sheathing.

Re-tape the entire harness from the bottom of the door up to the detergent dispenser housing.

Add a small section of cardboard between the wire loom and the tar-like insulation on the door.

<<<so I assumed it was the motor (the one that has the blade &  plastic impeller on it).  I've swapped that out, but I'm still getting the LE error.>>>

It's common for DIYers to *forget* to plug the new WASH MOTOR.
Verify that it's plugged in---from the bottom of the dishwasher---with the lower kickplate removed.

Purchasing a WASH MOTOR only---is a huge risk.
Check the Build Date on the bottom of the WASH MOTOR---if the date is June 2008 or newer---should be good.
If an older build date---a flawed motor.

I recommend replacing the entire SUMP ASSY (AJH31248604) to avoid accidently receiving older/obsolete/factory-defective-as-new/no longer used inventory.

<<<However, the largest gasket (with all the bends) was torn up/broken in a few spots.

I'm going to order one this week, but I was wondering if anyone knows if a bad gasket could be the sole cause for the error?>>>

No.

An improperly installed or damaged Sump Assy gasket will cause poor wash performance.

Offline MochaMike

• VIP Member
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
Thanks.

I checked all connections, re-checked all wires, and re-spliced all previous wires.

We paid $800 for this think 5-6 years ago.  Both upper & lower trays have rusted spots/broken  tongs.
I've spent $200 parts over the last 2 years on this thing.
No way am I going to spend another $150 for a bottom end.
I really liked it when we got it, but its what what I consider a piece of junk.

I'm going to hit some sales & get an non LG washer this week.

Anyone need any parts from this thing?  (I may need the plug wire & hoses for the new unit).

I'll make a deal on the motor I just bought.

Offline terror1

• VIP Member
  • Developer
    • Webdev
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »

Hello,

I had this same issue which just occurred within the last week. The LG dishwasher is 4 - 5 yrs old and was working fine until recently it started making a whining noise and would quit with a LE error code. I was able to get it working fine now although I am not sure if what I discovered will solve everyone's issue.

Step 1: Use the rinse cycle to drain the unit of any water. Listen to the machine for when it stops draining and turn it off before it actually starts the rinse cycle.  Either unplug the unit or turn the breaker for it off/remove fuse at panel at this point. Hit the power button to ensure there is no power to the unit.

Step 2: I first checked the wire harnesses and all wires within the door including removing the top button/cluster (2 top-center screws to remove it). Some of the wires in about 3 places within the door were touching the black sound barrier material & void of insulation. With close inspection I did not see any breaks in wires although to avoid future issues I used some pink insulation to patch up where the manufacturer neglected to put insulation (anywhere where wires were or could touch the black sound barrier material). I screwed the door back on and continued my inspection..

Step 3: The next step for me was removing the screws in the bottom-center of the unit (within the dishwasher) around the impeller. This is where I found an issue with this model concerning the black gasket located underneath the removed plastic housing. The gasket seemed too large for the groove as I could not get it all to fit into place without some slack popping out no matter how hard I tried. In fact when I lifted the plastic housing, part of this gasket was not in the groove before I touched it imo because it is too large!! Dishwasher soap scum had made it past the faulty gasket and caked around the area where the motor spins the impeller. Use some paper towel with a bit of rinse aid on it which will clean the soap scum nicely. Give the motor a manual spin with your fingers a few times and make sure no goopy soap scum is around where it spins (clean it nice). For the one piece black gasket, cut it on the left side then make sure it fits in the groove nicely all the way around and cut the very small bit of slack but ensure the 2 ends more or less meet. Use some gasket sealant (ie. high temp might be best but as long as it can handle the machines hottest temperature) on the end of your finger to seal where the break in the gasket is. Screw back on the plastic housing and let the gasket sealant dry a bit. 

Step 4: Run the dishwasher through its regular wash cycle. For me it still made the noise for the first 10 minutes or so and then it went away.  After this I have not had an issue since & hopefully the issue has been resolved. If I am wrong, I will report back to say so but imo the issue was the over sized gasket that popped out during assembly that let moisture and soap scum around where the motor spins the impeller.  I am by no means an appliance tech although I am somewhat automotive and electrical savvy. The supplied gasket is too long for where it is being used!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »
<<<The gasket seemed too large for the groove as I could not get it all to fit into place without some slack popping out no matter how hard I tried.>>>

This type of GASKET---and the difficulty of handling/installing/keeping-in-place---is an indication that it's the *original* style gasket.

Used from 2004 thru 2008.

In your case---the SUMP ASSY has a *flawed* WASH MOTOR.

Because of this type gasket---it is NOT recommended that only the WASH MOTOR be replaced.
Newer LG dishwasher SUMP ASSYs have a different gasket design---which is far easier to handle and allows for (if needed) the possibility of replacing a WASH MOTOR rather than the entire SUMP ASSY.

In most cases---the original gasket will become too stretched---when the FILTER HOUSING has been removed (pulling).

Replace the SUMP ASSY (AJH31248604)

<<<Step 1: Use the rinse cycle to drain the unit of any water. Listen to the machine for when it stops draining and turn it off before it actually starts the rinse cycle.  Either unplug the unit or turn the breaker for it off/remove fuse at panel at this point. Hit the power button to ensure there is no power to the unit.

Step 2: I first checked the wire harnesses and all wires within the door including removing the top button/cluster (2 top-center screws to remove it). Some of the wires in about 3 places within the door were touching the black sound barrier material & void of insulation. With close inspection I did not see any breaks in wires although to avoid future issues I used some pink insulation to patch up where the manufacturer neglected to put insulation (anywhere where wires were or could touch the black sound barrier material). I screwed the door back on and continued my inspection..>>>

Inspecting the WIRE HARNESS from the bottom of the door---up to the area of the Detergent Dispenser---is a good thing to do on 2006 and older LG dishwashers (possibly very early production-run models for 2007 as well).

Repair any wire(s) that have been pulled apart.
Wrap the Wire Harness with electrical tape---from the hinge of the door up to the dispenser.
Place a small section of cardboard between the Wire Harness and the black tar-like insulation.
Re-install door panel.

<<<imo the issue was the over sized gasket that popped out during assembly that let moisture and soap scum around where the motor spins the impeller.>>>

Incorrect.

The cause of the "LE" error in LG dishwashers built prior to 2008---was a manufacturing issue.

All Wash Motors were highly prone to premature failure ("LE" error).

A good attempt at failure analysis though---considering that you are not an appliance servicer :)

Offline terror1

• VIP Member
  • Developer
    • Webdev
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
john63,

Thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying regarding the gasket being stretched when the plastic housing was removed but this does not explain why there was stuff (water/dishwasher soap) getting past the gasket prior to taking it apart which was clearly evident. If I understand you correctly regarding a new SUMP that comes with a new type of gasket, I would not buy a SUMP solely for that purpose as that would seem to be a waste of money. Imo fixing the gasket in the fashion that I did seemed a better choice and furthermore could one not just order a new gasket instead of the whole SUMP assembly? Also I believe using insulation as opposed to electrical type was a better solution.

Regards.

Offline terror1

• VIP Member
  • Developer
    • Webdev
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »
 :oops: I meant electrical tape in the last sentence of the previous post and can't seem to edit.

LG Dishwasher with LE error code

Started by xj-boonie

Replies: 8
Views: 5358
Last post December 17, 2009, 03:39:59 PM
by JWWebster
LG Dishwasher with LE error code

Started by LG5811

Replies: 2
Views: 2171
Last post May 02, 2010, 07:52:01 AM
by LG5811