Forum > Dryer Repair

Whirlpool GEW9200LW0 runs but does not heat

(1/4) > >>

HawaiiJeff:
I have a Whirlpool Duet model number GEW9200LW0.  The dryer runs normally, but the heating element does not get hot.  I have verified the following components are in a normal condition.

Heating element resistance 8.5 ohms
Thermistor resistance 10.2k ohms
Thermal cutoff 0 ohms
Thermal fuse 0 ohms
Control board pin P2-5 to pin p2-6 12k ohm

The manual says to test all the individual items and then do the control board test if everything else tests fine.  The control board test results I got are not in line with what the manual says (<1k ohms then replace thermistor, 6-7k ohms then replace the board).

Any suggestions?

It looks like all the wire connectors are in good shape and all the wiring looks good as well.

Cheers,
Jeff

AJ:
Hi,

Check the voltage at the back of the dryer were the cord is attached.

If you don't have 220-240 Volts as shown in the photo at this link the dryer could run, but not heat.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=1011

Let us know what you find.

HawaiiJeff:
Thanks for the quick response.

Checked power at back.
246 V and 123 V.

Looks like the proper voltage is going into the machine.

Cheers,
Jeff

AJ:
Yes, the voltage to your dryer is fine.

These are for sure all ok too.

--- Quote ---Heating element resistance 8.5 ohms
Thermistor resistance 10.2k ohms
Thermal cutoff 0 ohms
Thermal fuse 0 ohms

--- End quote ---

It would not be uncommon at all on this model for a faulty control board to cause a no heat problem.

Your model uses control board part # 8546219

Not a cheap part, but if you order it from the part number link I posted above and it does not solve the problem you can return it.

I replaced a few of them control boards myself in 2012 for no heat problems and I would bet it's also the same problem you are seeing.

HawaiiJeff:
Thanks for the help.  This was my last try at an alternative solution before I ordered the control board.  I'll check out the link you posted.

Cheers,
Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version