365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: New forum category and boards.  (Read 295 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
New forum category and boards.
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
I have set up a new category (Appliance Repair) and some new boards (General, Dryer Help, Washer Help, ect...) for our forum.

I have been wanting to do this for awhile now hoping it will encourage more people to post in our forum by keeping things simpler.

Being a new year is coming up I thought now would be as good of time as any to do it.

Sometimes it seems new members just don't know were to post a question and the confusion may discourage them from posting at all.

I have archived the old "Brand" boards. No new topics can be started in the old "Brand" boards, but replies can still be posted to the topics in the old boards for now.

The "Let's Talk Service" board is still as it's always been, private.

I have been moving some of the more resent topics from the old "Brand" boards to the new boards. Not sure how many topics I'm going to move yet, but I wanted to move some so the new boards did not look empty.

I'm wondering, are you guys getting email notifications that a topic has been moved?

If so are they just email notifications to topics you started or to topics you have posted replies in also?

i would like to find out about the email notifications so I'm not bombarding everyone with a ton of "Topic Moved:" emails.

Thanks,

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: New forum category and boards.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »
I like it  O0
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »
Thanks JW,

Did you end up getting any "Moved Topic:" email notifications?

I'm still trying to figure out if them email notifications are just being sent to the topic starter or to the topic starter and all who replied to that topic.

I'm thinking it's just being sent to the topic starter, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
Ok, I have edited the forum code to stop "Topic Moved:" email notifications from being sent well I move topics around.

Please note that the topic URL will not change when I move them from a old board to one of the new boards, so if you have topics bookmarked or saved some other way the URL will still be the same.

Also you can always find your own post under, Profile>Show Post. 

Hopefully this change will help help keep things a little more organized and simpler to navigate.

As always feedback is welcomed, thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »
I always go straight to the AJ site if I see a notice and check show unread posts. If I see a ques that I don't know anything about I usually won't reply. I read em all though. Looks like this new setup gonna be easy for android users. Finally got my password to work so I could reply with android tablet. That is a nice little tablet. The other day while the tornado was bearing down on us I had all the electronics shut down tv and computer but not the tablet. While we were sitting there in the hallway waiting for the roof to get yanked off I was able to actually see the radar and the tornado movement on US southeastern weather radar
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:25:53 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:47:04 PM »
Looks like this new setup gonna be easy for android users.

I'm trying to keep mobile users in mind with any changes that I make, because mobile devices are the future and the future is now. ;)

Finally got my password to work so I could reply with android tablet. That is a nice little tablet.

Never played with one myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

The other day while the tornado was bearing down on us I had all the electronics shut down tv and computer but not the tablet. While we were sitting there in the hallway waiting for the roof to get yanked off I was able to actually see the radar and the tornado movement on US southeastern weather radar

Wow that's crazy, how close did the tornado get to you?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
Within one mile just across the river from us. It went right over I65 and I10 interchange and right into mid town. 2nd tornado in just one week same path for both :(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:11:15 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »
Darn, hope everyone is ok.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
O0

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
I use an Android tablet and phone. I can even use the phone for a WIFI hotspot and use the tablet to go online. I like it better than my laptop ,much faster too!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:25:00 PM by theoldstoveguy »

New Pro Forum with private tech only repair boards!

Started by AJ

Replies: 8
Views: 130
Last post September 22, 2013, 11:50:08 PM
by JADsvc1
How the new guest boards works.

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 34
Last post March 04, 2008, 08:22:52 AM
by Repair-man
Forum features?