Author Topic: maytag drier model mde8000ayq takes too long to dry clothes  (Read 846 times)

Offline skevink

• VIP Member
maytag drier model mde8000ayq takes too long to dry clothes
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
the drier motor went out.  i replaced it.  about a month later i notice that the moisture meter no longer shows anything.  the light just stays on on the bottom.  the clothes take two to three times to dry.   cleaned all lint from the tube and  took screen housing off and cleaned it.  when the motor was replaced i but a new blower wheel on also.  the heating element comes on and  works fine.  the cycle swithed ohmed out good.  the thermostat ohmed out good.   plenty of good airflow.  i jumped the cycle switch and tried that, but still takes two times to completely dry.  what am i missing.   oh. . the moisture bar checked out fine too.  but i even went ahead and replaced it  becauase i had a new spare one.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: maytag drier model mde8000ayq takes too long to dry clothes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »
Dryers really just do three things. They tumble so that there can be some separation in the clothes. They heat the air to change the liquid water into vapor, and they pull air through the drum to remove the moist air. If you feel heat during the cycle you have to think that air movement is the problem. Pull the dryer away from the wall, disconnect the vent, and dry a load to see if it makes a difference. I recently had to crawl under my house to clean our vent for this very reason. Dryers will move lots of air but not with any great pressure. They don't make moisture disappear, they just move it somewhere else.

Offline skevink

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
 the dryer is already pulled from the wall.  the duct  is disconnected.  the tube has been cleaned and screen is clear.  there is no lint anywere left to clean it has all been sucked up.  i noticed the moisture meter does not read anything any longer it just stays on the bottom scale instead of moving  from top to bottom as the clothes dry.  the heating element is new. the air flow is great.  but it takes two to three times to dry clothes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:31:52 PM by skevink »

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
So if the dryer has been running for 40 minutes and you opened the door to check the clothes would they feel hot? If the moisture sensing system were not working, the dryer would either shut off early or not shut off at all. no matter how fancy the dryer is, the three basic functions still are the important things. Do a timed dry and see what happens after 40-5- minutes.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
Might be a burr on the contact inside the timer.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
You need to no if the cycling thermostat is working on the dryer first.I would run dryer with no clothes in it and use a voltmeter and put it on the cycling thermostat and when the interior of dryer got to about 155 degree F the meter will read about 120 volts.This tell you that the cycling thermostat is working.And use the same method for the safety thermostat also.If you get 120 volts on safety thermostat and you should not then you could have a bad safety or air flow problem.Even you say you don't .Main thing it has to cycle on the cycling thermostat.

maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Replies: 5
Views: 5564
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
Estate Dryer by Whirlpool takes too long to dry

Started by DWP

Replies: 3
Views: 3686
Last post February 14, 2009, 02:29:28 PM
by DWP
Maytag gas drier burners won't stay lit.... with a twist.

Started by ZoneIII

Replies: 20
Views: 6813
Last post September 24, 2009, 07:14:12 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 70 Series dryer stains clothes, takes over 90 minutes to fully dry

Started by Peretz

Replies: 1
Views: 1577
Last post October 12, 2009, 10:25:13 PM
by Washaman
Maytag Drier - Wont Start/replaced dryer belt