Author Topic: LG DLEX2501 Powers up but turns off when the start button is pressed  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Feenix

• VIP Member
Re: LG DLEX2501 Powers up but turns off when the start button is pressed
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
We just purchased the LG dlex2650 electric dryer. It worked great for 28 days. One day I turned it on and pressed start button to run cycle and it cut off. Screen went blank. Sounds like almost the identical problem as mentioned before other than model. I had my electrician check the power coming into the wall socket (3 prong). It all checks out. I bought at best buy and they are going to replace the dryer. LG said they could send a tech to repair but since it was under 30 days best buy will replace with new. Once I get the new dryer installed I will reply back. A couple other really weird things happen when the dryer turns off after pressing start. Another breaker on the other side of the main panel trips. This breaker controls two bathrooms and are on completely separate feeds. My electrician is baffled an has no explanation. My old dryer would work fine but looking back even when I pushed the start button on the old whirlpool I would have to hold the start button down for a few seconds or until the drum would spin. In addition, both the old and new dryers would cause the electric stove clock panel and our tv in another room to blink off and then it would come back on right after the dryer started. My electrician moved the dryer breaker to the other side of the main box to even out the electeical loads. This fixed the oven and tv blinking off but a breaker as mentioned above trips when I try to start the dryer. I have a feeling this problem is related to the wiring in the house. Either way a new dryer may only last another 20-30 days if a surge is making it fail. I have my doubts about it being the dryer just because the person that lived here before may not have known exactly how to run wiring. I have found other things that were not professionally done so I have to be cautious. I think the surge of power wore out a component on the dryer. Hopefully switching the breaker to even out the loads may do the trick. One other thing worth mentioning is a wire in the attic looks like it had been chewed on by a rodent or whatnot. I plan to get that fixed or at least inspected. It appears as metal showing not cut all the way through or else a fire or no electric to that circuit would be the case. It is possible a component in LG dryers needs to be beefed up or it is a design flaw but I don't have anything solid to go on just yet. More to come in a couple days.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
Find a new electrician.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »
Find a new electrician.
Agreed. You obviously have electrical issues and whether you killed your NEW LG dryer with the electrical faults or not, a new dryer will most likely NOT cure the problem.  :D

Offline bjmaxfield

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
Well the new display board showed up today and is installed.  Same problem is still there :tickedoff:

I guess the next step is to get an amp meter and see what the draw is on each leg?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
I was serious when I said to find a new electrician. Your electrician is baffled and can't figure it out. You need to find someone who CAN figure it out. My guess is you have some bad breakers or a corroded bus bar in your panel. Try turning every breaker off in the panel except the main and the dryer, then check power at the dryer.

Offline bjmaxfield

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
There's nothing wrong with my incoming power.  You might be mistaking my issue for the other person with the month old dryer.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »
Drag your dryer to your neighbors house or in laws. Plug in dryer and prepare to be amazed! I read the original post again. Im sticking with incoming power issue. I am with tgoods. :D

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
Oops, yeah I mistook you for the OP. It's better to start a new topic to avoid confusion.

Offline bjmaxfield

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
Does anyone have access to the schematics for all the boards.  I would like to see what is supposed to latch that circuit.

Offline Feenix

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
I am just writing to follow up on my reported problem. We got the new dryer before we installed and got ready to use I had my electrician replace the circuit breaker that was tripping every time we pushed start and the dryer would turn off. The old breaker was the very sensitive kind with arc fault protection. Not there isn't still some problem in the wiring not sure but the new breaker did the trick. He installed a regular breaker and that was that. No problems with the new dryer. In fact I tried it with the first dryer and all worked as it should so it was not the dryer. If you are experiencing the same or similar problem as I was having then it is most likely the electrical issue similar to mine. I hope I won't have to report another issue and this dryer problem is gone forever.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
Thanks for the update.  With those arc-faults, the neutral has to stay on the same circuit or they'll trip. You don't need it for a dryer anyway.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the update! PLEASE do us all a favor and start a new thread in the future, no matter how similar the issue is. THANK YOU! :D

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
<<<PLEASE do us all a favor and start a new thread in the future>>>

I agree :)

Eliminates confusion...

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »
<<<PLEASE do us all a favor and start a new thread in the future>>>

I agree :)

Eliminates confusion...

John63 is awesome. :D

Offline bjmaxfield

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
Does anyone have acess to the contol schmatics for this dryer?

Maytag dryer buzzes when start button pushed

Started by hwhawkins

Replies: 3
Views: 4085
Last post May 18, 2009, 09:13:52 PM
by JWWebster
roper dryer runs motor runs as soon as you set it, no need to push start button

Started by kellonnie

Replies: 17
Views: 3980
Last post December 08, 2009, 01:57:24 PM
by JWWebster