Author Topic: LG GAS DRYER LDS4821ST  (Read 806 times)

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
LG GAS DRYER LDS4821ST
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
Still fussing with my LG dryer LDS4821ST that you were good enough to give me the link to its repair manual.  I had a fair amount of water in the basement as a result of the Sandy storm (I'm on Long Island).  Initially after the storm and after a few days to let everything dry out I plugged the dryer back in and pressed the power button.  Although something came up on the panel it was not what i would normally see.  I did not take note if it was an error code (I hadn't gotten or read the service manual at that point).  I turned it off and when I tried again the next day absolutely nothing happened when I hit the power button.  Nothing to read on the panel at all.  The drum light comes on so I know the electric to the unit is OK.  My washing machine right next to the dryer which suffered the same storm fate operates fine.

I have disassembled the unit to the point where I have access to the blower blades (so top, control panel, and front with door is off/disconnected).  Before I go further I was wondering if there is something based on the fate I described that pops into your  mind as probably the cause for not getting the panel to "engage" and the unit to come on and ready for setting?  I did attempt to take the nut off the fan blades to remove that but it doesn't seem to want to budge.  The fan blade wasn't turning when I first had access and I did free that up and it and tub seem to be free moving now.

Is there a fuse on the dryer itself that might have popped that I am just not seeing?  Would the thermal fuse have anything to do with it?

Appreciate any advice.  BTW this dryer is only about 2 years old.

Regards,

bruceemery

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG GAS DRYER LDS4821ST
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »

<<<I had a fair amount of water in the basement as a result of the Sandy storm (I'm on Long Island).>>>

I'm sorry for your aggravation/pain & misery---that was a terrible storm.

<<<Still fussing with my LG dryer LDS4821ST>>>

The MODEL NUMBER that you've posted is for an LG dishwasher.
Open the door of the dryer---there's a sticker/tag---the Model & Serial Numbers are located there.

<<<I turned it off and when I tried again the next day absolutely nothing happened when I hit the power button>>>

Likely a failed MAIN BOARD (shorted) *and* DRIVE MOTOR (water damaged).
The ELECTRICAL NOISE FILTER should be checked/tested as well.

<<<The drum light comes on so I know the electric to the unit is OK.>>>

Not necessarily---check the dryer wall receptacle and verify that there's 220/240 volts AC

<<<My washing machine right next to the dryer which suffered the same storm fate operates fine>>>

Unlike the dryer---the washer direct-drive motor is mounted on the tub assy.
The dryer motor is at floor level.

<<<I did attempt to take the nut off the fan blades to remove that but it doesn't seem to want to budge.>>>

The BLOWER WHEEL NUT has a *reverse-thread*.
Righty-loosey
Lefty-tighty.

<<<Is there a fuse on the dryer itself that might have popped that I am just not seeing?>>>

Two.
One on the MAIN BOARD.
Another on the NOISE FILTER.
Neither are designed/intended to be replaced.

<<<Would the thermal fuse have anything to do with it?>>>

No.
A failed THERMAL LIMITER would allow the dryer motor to run---but no gas ignition.

Good luck in LI 
God Bless :)

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
John,

Thank you for your very detailed answers!!! sorry I put the wrong model number ... you were right..that was my dishwasher ... should have flipped through a couple more pics on the iPhone.  The dryer is a DLGX2502V.  I do have the service manual but it still seems difficult to locate parts like the noise filter you mentioned as I am not used to looking at schematics.  would like to check that ... know where it is and how I check it?  also ... is there anyway to check to see if the board is in fact shorted out?  I see no visible signs of damage and do you know which is the fuse on the board itself?  Is there a way to see if the motor will run by itself? 

As I happened to post the dishwasher model number I'm sure you've guessed I had an issue with that too! (had an issue with every appliance and the burner and water heater too! ha ha .... got creamed!!)  Any way, the dishwasher  (that's the LDS4821ST), not only got water in it it ended up face down in the standing water.  The panel comes on but dim and buttons are useless changing nothing when pushed.  I see from parts lists that adding up what might be the issues is about the cost of the dryer brand new so I got a new one.  Would like to fix this as a second one but, again, wondering whether its worth it.  Seems way more complicated a machine than the dryer...was is it so much less expensive than the dryer?? Doesn't seem to make sense. 

Again! thank you for your help!

God Bless You! and Merry Christmas !!!  :) :thanks:

bruceemery

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »
<<<The dryer is a DLGX2502V>>>

An LG *gas* dryer with the Steam option.

<<<I do have the service manual but it still seems difficult to locate parts like the noise filter you mentioned as I am not used to looking at schematics>>>

This model does not have the glass fuse---and the Noise Filter is built into the MAIN BOARD.

If the Control Panel lights DO NOT come on after the POWER button has been pressed---replace the MAIN BOARD *and* the MOTOR (water damaged).

If the Control Lights *do* come on---replace the MOTOR only.

MAIN BOARD: EBR36858810

MOTOR: 4681EL1008A

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »
Thanks again John.  I have looked up the parts and the motor is available but the board is not and most likely  will not be until a couple of weeks from now at the earliest. 

As the panel had shown something initially when I first plugged the unit in after that dryout period after the flood but then it went "dark" the next day.  Was it possiblly the "stuck" motor (now freed up) that caused the board and hence panel to go dark? 

Before I order the motor is there a way to independently confirm that the motor will not run (have the machine completely apart at this point)?  Seems strange that there wouldn't be a replaceable fuse or element that would  protect a main board that costs over $100 dollars. 

Thanks again for your help!

brucemery

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Kennore Dryer problems

Started by smckeown

Replies: 6
Views: 8305
Last post July 10, 2007, 09:31:02 AM
by smckeown
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 6784
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 3088
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 7595
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Dryer

Started by jdman

Replies: 6
Views: 5572
Last post August 12, 2007, 07:30:06 PM
by AJ
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Maytag electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7002
Last post July 31, 2007, 12:38:27 PM
by AJ