365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros
Washer Parts | Dryer Parts | Refrigerator Parts | Dishwasher Parts | Range & Oven Parts

Author Topic: Ever have a machine that just doesn't like you??  (Read 158 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Ever have a machine that just doesn't like you??
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »
Or one that is trying to make you look bad?   I'm not talking about one that is hard to fix, but one that seems to really have it in for you.

I just picked up a new property management client, not even three months ago.  Three of my calls from this client have been for the same machine.

It is a stackable Whirlpool (kenmore) dd washer & dryer.  The first time it leaked.  A screw has gotten through a drum hole, and eventually gouged a groove through the tub, and the thing leaked water everywhere.  Replacing the tub is a bit more expensive than many repairs, but I told 'em it was worth it, because these models were dependable, easy to fix, and parts are generally reasonable.

Fixed it, no problem and billed them.

Three weeks later, they call me back, 'cause it is not spinning.  I go look at it and discover the lid switch (the screw holes on the switch body) broke a long time ago.  Someone had repaired it by gluing the thing to the lid with RTV sealant.  This temporary fix was finally peeling away, and so I installed a new switch.  Billed 'em, no problem.

Another three weeks, and they call on the same machine.  It doesn't spin or agitate.  I stop by the property management office, and they are all stressed. 

"The same machine!  What is going on! I thought you said you fixed it! 
(do you know what you are doing?  are you breaking it so you can bill us?) 
 What is wrong now?  We cant' pay you 'til next month!  What'll we tell the Owner?!" 

It was the motor coupler, of course.  Easy fix.  Eat the bill to keep 'em happy.   :-\

Three unrelated problems on the same machine in less than two months.  For a new customer.   Now the dryer side will probably start to fail.  :'(

Do you guys ever have fun like this? ???

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Ever have a machine that just doesn't like you??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
All the time for me. I went back on a GE Monogram dishwasher 16 times in two months. They had a repair policy on it (no replacement option). Replaced the control, touchpad, motor, drain pump, rack wheels and even the heating element.  Turns out the (disgruntled) housekeeper was abusing it thinking the Bosses were paying every time I went out.

I canceled the policy on it. Third party use is prohibited. The home owner was p!ssed....

And I always end up going out on recalls for Fisher Paykel dishdrawers. If one thing goes wrong on one of those, it's a domino effect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »
Turns out the (disgruntled) housekeeper was abusing it thinking the Bosses were paying

That's Hilarious!!    Housekeepers are best kept well-gruntled.  When they become disgruntled that's when the problems begin!

I didn't want to eat the tab, but a motor coupler is cheap & takes 15 min. to swap out.  Besides, the lady who is the renter is a hairdresser, and has already been handing out my cards to customers!  If I keep the property management company happy, and her happy, It'll pay off in the long run.

I wish I had a boss (not) so I could say, "gee, I hafta charge ya..."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:38:59 PM by andersenappliance »

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »
     I lost one client I had because of a similar situation.    They had a Speed Queen Commercial Dryers.   and whirlpool washers.   3 of each.
     Complaint #1 - Dryer not heating ------  bad coils,   replace
     Complaint #2 - 3 days later.   Same dryer not heating --------  bad ignitor,  replace. 
     Complaint #3 - 1 week later.  Same dryer not working   --------   Canadian quarter stuck in coin slide  didn't charge him.   
     Complaint #4 - 2 weeks later.  Same dryer not working -------- belt broke - replace belt.  Ate belt repair,  didn't charge him even though all you other Servicemen know,  IT WASN't MY Fault!
     Complaint #5 - 2 days later.   Same dryer - not working  ---------  Someone stuck a bent quarter in coin slide and it got stuck.    I left him a bill,  stating that this was tennant error and it could happen again and I put signs on machines stating not to put in bent, deformed coins or canadian.   

Talked to owner - was very upset (old guy,  87 years old).   I tried to explain all of these things weren't related.   He just kept mumbling tennants were upset.    But he hasn't called me back since,  that was over a year ago.   I serviced him for over 8 years.    Not to mention,  but while there I did perform other repairs in apartments on stoves,  refrigerators.  etc.   NO CALL BACKS ON ANY OTHER APPLIANCE>    But that one machine got me kicked out.     

Good part of story -  I have replaced him 10 fold with other customers and that place was 35 miles from my house.    I was considering not going there anymore when I got more close clients,  and now that is the case.      So Anderson,   It can and does happen to all of us.   Don't feel bad.   

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 02:46:21 AM »
Another quick story came to mind.    (in 40 years,  there were alot of them --- got to chronicle them before the Alzheimers kicks in LOL )

Was working on a Commercial Washer - IPSO>    Had 2 of each (drive, and spin belts)  a 2 motor setup.   Well,  it kept burning up the spin belts.    Owner of hotel was getting pissed.   So,  one day I go there and figured I would stay and watch how they were using machine.     (Usually when I fixed it ,  it was early before they ran any loads in it).      Found out the laundy worker was stuffing in 80 (yes, 80) pounds of clothes into a .................... 50 lb machine.    Was using a plunger to ram everything in so tight that when it washed,  the clothes didn't tumble.     I know this because after watching one load go through,   I emptied out the clothes (towels) and we put them on the scale she had.     She was supposed to weigh them before putting them in,   but didn't .     Told Owner,   and he told me if it fit in the machine it should wash.     IDIOT>    couldn't reason with them,   We actually told them we wouldn't warranty belts anymore.   (We had warrantied about 4 sets of them)    They got another company.    I was glad,   that was a tough job on that particular machine with no room to work.     

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »
That was one of the things the property management company asked me:  "What are they using the machine for? Are they overloading it?"

It is an apartment sized washer, and she has like three kids, but I've never seen 'em do anything ridiculous.  I just think it was time.

But I'd rather have this stuff happen after I have the customer's confidence than before.  If it was a single customer, I'd just explain, and bill, but I'd like to keep this property management account.

Oh Well.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
Seems like back when I started doing appliance repair half the old ladies had a stick the would use to pack the laundry in the washer with.

Then the Whirlpool direct drive washers come out and we had to tell them that they could not use a stick to pack the laundry into the washer anymore.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 06:39:29 AM »
AJ,  doing a ton of commercial laundry in my time,   you are 100% correct.    In the laundry rooms in apartments,   every old lady worth her salt carried a stick with them in their laundry baskets to pack the clothes in tighter.     I don't see many younger people doing that, though.   

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
I am just a young tech, but when i first started i also saw a few "washer sticks."  not so much any more... LOL
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:58:50 AM »
They do that with these "NEW" VHM machines and you will strip out everything in short order.    Plastic pulleys,  Plastic gear tranny's,  Not good for the "STICK" people.   

not washing machine safe

Started by BrntToast

Replies: 0
Views: 22
Last post March 03, 2008, 04:19:59 AM
by BrntToast
Greatest wahing machine ad ever

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 10
Views: 77
Last post March 16, 2009, 09:14:50 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
In need of suggestions Hoshizaki IM122J ice machine.

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 5
Views: 45
Last post October 15, 2009, 07:22:07 PM
by JWWebster
Need Service Manual for Miele Coffee Machine

Started by tgoods

Replies: 4
Views: 36
Last post October 31, 2010, 06:46:19 PM
by jumptrout51
washing machine power outlet regulations

Started by kellonnie

Replies: 6
Views: 75
Last post September 02, 2012, 09:11:14 PM
by kellonnie
Niobrara, Some questions about your brazing machine.

Started by tgoods

Replies: 6
Views: 116
Last post October 05, 2013, 02:11:20 PM
by krazytech