Author Topic: microwave recommendations?  (Read 782 times)

Offline jkn

• VIP Member
microwave recommendations?
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »
Hi, I'm an expert at fixing laser printers -- that's how I make a living, but I don't know microwave repair, so I'm looking for a little advice. I have a Whirlpool GH5184xp over the range microwave that is vented out the back wall. It's about 6 years old, and for the past several years has had a problem in the winter where the fan sound doesn't start up right away in the winter months (not the exhaust fan - that's fine). I'm guessing it's a fan because that's what it sounds like.  I see a 12 volt fan in the parts diagram which I'm guessing is supposed to cool the inverter and the cold air is effecting its rotation? The problem is that the there is intermittent heat, a few zapping noises, and a burnt electronic smell. The same as this http://www.fixya.com/support/t2941104-model_whirlpool_gh5184xp_r_n which suggests the Inverter (high voltage magnatron supply).

I'm considering closing off the external venting to prevent the cold air from coming in contact with the microwave. The inverter is $125, but considering time and hassle I may just replace the microwave with a new unit. Anyone have any recommendations for good brands of microwaves or recommendations on repair?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: microwave recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
Buy whatever brand you like,pay the least amount possible. And when you have a problem ,replace it .

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
Almost any microwave nowadays is cheaper to replace rather than repair sadly. I personally chose a Hi- End SHARP convection microwave with confidence. SHARP is my favorite brand in microwaves, but beware of their VERY low end product line. :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:51:51 PM by domain »

Offline jkn

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 06:43:06 AM »
thanks guys, that's what I'll do, get a new one.

Offline jkn

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
I really like the Accuwave heating system in some of the Whirlpool microwave models. It works really well, instead of 100% power switched on and off depending on power level selected, the Accuwave system continuously delivers the selected power level. Here is the description http://whirlpool-internal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/581/~/how-does-accuwave%E2%AE-technology-work-on-my-speedcook-microwave-oven-with

Also here is an excellent link from a chef's perspective: http://www.techlicious.com/review/microwave-ovens-with-inverter-technology-really-cook/

Besides Whirlpool (GE?) and Panasonic, anyone know of any other brands that use the inverter technology? I would have thought it would be more common.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
Unless I would purchase a 5+ year extended warranty, I would consider any INVERTER microwave disposable. As a matter of fact, so do the warranty companies. The cost of repair on the Panasonics and "GE" branded Panasonics is more costly than new, JUST in parts. I do own a inverter microwave and like how it can truly vary the power. But I also have my SHARP convection conventional microwave as my main unit of use. :D

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Amana Microwave Noisy and No Heat-

Started by mkbabi

Replies: 4
Views: 3699
Last post January 13, 2008, 09:34:14 AM
by Skeeter
Frigidare LEVM30FE Microwave E21 code

Started by Earl Dryer

Replies: 6
Views: 2798