Author Topic: Kitchenaid SXS fridge door not sealing properly  (Read 1500 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Kitchenaid SXS fridge door not sealing properly
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
My customer has this SXS Kitchenaid fridge model #KSRS25IHSS2.The right side door(fresh food side)rubber gasket at the bottom is leaving a quarter inch gap for a length of 2 or 3 inches long.There are no screws securing the gasket and liner to the metal door body,so there's not the usual way to twist the door body shape by loosening and tightening the screws.The gasket is sort nof press fit.How can I twist this door bottom to eliminate the gap?It also seems the gasket has lost the magnetic strength so the door would open up when the freezer door was open and closed.What can I do to solve this problem?I noticed that the door closer cam at the bottom of this door is worn out(flat),I will replace the bad door closer cam to see whether the condition will improve.Any suggestions about what to do with this type of door construction to twist the door shape?Thanks for your experyt advice. :embarassed:

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: Kitchenaid SXS fridge door not sealing properly
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
This all is dependent on seeing and diagnosing the problem firsthand, but I will try to help. Verify all edges and corners are true with a known strait edge. Verify that the upper and more importantly Lower hinge is not binding from being loose in one form or another. Depending on age the rubber can become stiffer which directly relates to sealing ability. Replacing the door seal may be the cure.... :D

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
Thanks Domain for your advice.Are you an authorized LG repair man?LG head office would not sell parts to non-LG repairman.I either buy LG appliance parts from Sears Parts store or get the customer to buy the parts & I will install for them.That's why it's difficult to find repairman to work on LG machines in Victoria,BC,Canada.As far as making the old style fridge door & gasket to fit & seal nicely,it's not a problem.It's the new style door(friction fit,no screws to tighten or loosen)that I have problem with.The door seems to be very stiff and cannot be twisted to fit the body of the fridge.this new style of door is getting very popular to save manufacturing time.I am going back to the customer's home on Thursday to replace the door closer cam and make the door gasket fit.I will post what happened after the job.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »
LG head office would not sell parts to non-LG repairman.I either buy LG appliance parts from Sears Parts store or get the customer to buy the parts & I will install for them.That's why it's difficult to find repairman to work on LG machines in Victoria,BC,Canada.

RepairClinic.com sells LG parts and ships to Canada.
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »
Yes I am authorized for LG through the company I am employed by. We DIRECTLY order parts from them. Similar product availability and price can be found online. :D

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:12:36 AM »
Hello Domain,the LG repairmen in Victoria,BC,Canada,are doing great business because other service men stay away from the calls.I get my LG parts from Sears parts store.I do not get any discount from Sears,and there is no warranty on any parts I buy from them.By the way,I went back to my customer with the Kitchenaid bottom door closer and cam,the door works perfectly after I installed them.I am really surprised  the worn out door closer &. cam could cause so much trouble.Thanks for your advice.I have a problem with an LG fridge having ice build-up on the defrost water troughing.I will start a new thread when I get the model #.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:16:17 AM »
Thanks AJ,I will keep Repairclinic.com in mind if I cannot buy the parts locally.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
Please do. Is the ice freezing the water delivery tube solid causing a no ice condition?

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:00:39 AM »
Hello Domain,the problem I have with thisLG  fridge is "the defrost drain pipe "plugged with ice at the troughing.I have to find the model # before I can submit the new thread.Thanks for asking.I will go back to the customer to find the Model #.

Fridge door won't shut properly

Started by Perplexed25

Replies: 1
Views: 479
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:38:23 AM
by Cananot
French Door Fridge not making ice.

Started by Jack Hodge

Replies: 6
Views: 4564
Last post November 26, 2008, 09:18:32 AM
by JWWebster
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Warm Door Mullion Strip.

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 6590
Last post December 14, 2008, 02:21:32 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Need door for Fridge

Started by chadfrombog

Replies: 1
Views: 1178
Last post June 22, 2009, 01:58:55 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
KAR-17 KitchenAid Built-In French Door Bottom Mount Refrigerator Service Manual