Author Topic: GE Profile Evap Fan Motor? Motherboard? PSF26NGWA  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Stang5Liter

• VIP Member
GE Profile Evap Fan Motor? Motherboard? PSF26NGWA
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »
I have a GE Profile Side by Side fridge model PSF26NGWA WW and I'm having some issues.  This unit is 5 1/2 years old and the evap fan motor is grumbling like the sound of a Bicycle playing card in the back spoke of your bike "to make it sound cool" sound. 8)  Anyway, with all of the research I have done on the World Wide Waste of time, it looks like I will be replacing the motherboard and the evap fan motor to fix it properly.  BTW, the motherboard was replaced 18 months ago by GE Service Tech to fix a different issue.  Here's a question or two...

1) Should I go ahead and replace the condenser fan motor as well?  Will it also have a tendency to burn up motherboard #3 or anything else for that matter?

2) I ran the self diag test and everything checked out good except for "temperature control panel to dispenser board communication" = FAILED
                                                                                                               "dispenser board to main control board communication"             = FAILED

Do I need to replace the dispenser board as well??  I have never had any issues with it so far...or will replacing the motherboard fix this communication error?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Re: GE Profile Evap Fan Motor? Motherboard? PSF26NGWA
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »
There may b nothing wrong with board or motor. The reason I say this is that is an unusual sound for such a failure. Fan blade could be hitting ice or blade may have worked itself to to end of the motor shaft. Both will cause noise.

Offline Stang5Liter

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »
I still have not torn into the fridge yet because this is still an intermittent issue.  The unit functions correctly across the board with the only issue of the fan making the growling sound every once in awhile.  I would like to be fully prepared when I have to completely empty the fridge to work on it and have the correct parts with me to fix it right the first time.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

:thanks:

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »
Evap fan and control board,I would not worry about cond fan.Run diagnostics after you replace board but that should fix the communication issues.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
Evap fan and control board,I would not worry about cond fan.Run diagnostics after you replace board but that should fix the communication issues.
O0

Offline Stang5Liter

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Well Harold, you were correct the first time.  My wife had piled a bunch of stuff in the freezer and some food was resting just the right way on the back panel for the evap fan to "rub" the cover panel.  That's all it was.  I would replace the motherboard but the unit seems to be functioning correctly and we don't have the extra $$$ right now.  The transmission in my wife's car is acting up... :tickedoff:

Oh well,  :thanks:

Frigidaire Evap Fan motor not working

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 10
Views: 9306
Last post May 25, 2008, 02:55:57 PM
by JWWebster
GE DC Evap Fan Motor

Started by thumbrfg

Replies: 15
Views: 5971
Last post April 12, 2009, 06:17:54 AM