365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: What do you guys use for invoicing?  (Read 436 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
What do you guys use for invoicing?
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
In my cleaning business, I'd set up my crews with carbonless invoices printed from Quickbooks, and a map for the jobs.  The invoices were inexpensive, and professional.  Now, I've been using one of those stock pads for writing up the customer invoice, but they don't have my name, logo, contact info, etc.

I could pre-print them, but I'd have to write out the bulk of the info, because I have almost nothing to go on before I arrive on location.  That is OK, but my handwriting is crappy, and looks pretty bad.

Any solution would still require me to write out everything on location, but I was just wondering what you guys use.  I suppose I could print generic forms off of quickbooks or the equivalent, or I could order the stock books with my logo & contact info pre-printed, but I'm not really satisfied with either option.

Does anyone have a good way that they handle this?  I have to give a receipt when I get paid, and I want to get paid immediately, before I leave the location.

What do you guys do?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: What do you guys use for invoicing?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
I use an old program called Form Fill. You can design your own invoice then enter customer information just like you do on Quickbooks but has an area for time ,work performed ,parts ETC. Print it and then  all I have to do is write in the info. when the job is completed. I also have blank printed invoices(same program) for on the road calls. I have yet to find another program that works as well as this and of course the company was bought out by someone else and they want $500 plus for a similar program. I have seen many design your own programs in the $9.99 areas in Staples and Office Depot so check around. I use an old Okidata dot matrix printer and carbonless paper so I get about 1200 invoices for around $100.00 including ribbons and paper.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
The 80's called. They want their printer back. ;D  I'll never forget the sound of a dot matrix printer.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »
I have used Logiserv for about 15 years. Never had any problems but I think they were bought out by someone else. And I too use carbonless forms and an Okidata dot matrix printer, which you can still buy brand new. Those things are indestructible.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:22 AM »
I also use a dot matrix printer ,its got thousands of hours on it and short of dropping it from a plane you can't kill it .

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:42 AM »
I use FileMaker Pro to create my own invoices.  Because of this, I can check on the history of a customer or an appliance and see what has been done in the past so I can tell the customer what I did and when I did it.  I'm currently using regular stock white paper and making copies with carbon paper.  I will probably start using the carbonless paper some time next year when all of my carbon paper is finally exhausted.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
I use Microsoft Access on my laptop which I carry in with me....fill in a form in access and print the form, (invoice) to a Brother wireless thermal printer.  I can also look up customers with the find icon by their name, phone number or address and find the history of calls I have made.  The only thing is it took me a month to write the program the way I needed it to suit my needs.  I'm sure there are cheaper programs today with wizards and such so you don't have to write code....I got access free from a friend in 1996 and to me it was fun and challenging getting it all to work.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:26:07 AM by Joebeef »

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »
So it seems we're all pre-printing some or most of the info, then filling in the rest by hand at the site.

Joebeef,  is that wireless thermal printer something that works out of your work truck?

I'm also interested in another option instead of Quickbooks.  I used them quite happily until they discontinued my ability to e-mail invoices.  It seems that since I didn't update to their new program every year at $100/pop, they just ended the e-mail utility (ended, not made obsolete).  I want a program that'll keep track of my invoices, customers, and finances and maybe assign stuff to tax form lines (maybe).  I don't want one that nags me to pay more every time I use it.

If I want to use a program I paid for for 7 years, then I should be able to do just that! :tickedoff:

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
My wife runs the office and she likes Quickbooks so that's what we're using.  I ran across a free ad supported online accounting program that looks interesting, Wave Accounting. It doesn't have as many features as QB, but they're adding more all the time.  A free open source program that's suppose to be pretty good is Gnucash.

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
@anderson....the printer is portable and I carry it in my laptop case ( front outside pocket ) and set it on the counter when I'm typing their invoice.  People get a kick out of it....printer is only 12 inches wide, 3 inches deep and 1 inch high.  Just feed a piece of 8 1/2 by 11 piece of thermal paper in it and hit print.

do you guys have this part?

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 6
Views: 83
Last post November 29, 2008, 09:18:10 AM
by schaffersapplian
Hey Guys

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 4
Views: 54
Last post January 05, 2009, 06:57:04 PM
by Penguin45