Author Topic: GSS25sgmc bs / Dispenser area sweats, frost buildup between ice maker & door  (Read 1696 times)

Offline plumbstar

• VIP Member
I have the following problem:

1) Sweat & icicle at top of freezer door & door switch.
     Gasket on both doors appears to be fine. I have cleaned & inspected it. Also apply light coating of vaseline to seal. Gasket is held in place by screws.
2) Dispenser door is sweating.
     Dispenser disc/seal has been replaced. It does seem to have very slight pressure against the door, though.
3) For a while, item 1 & 2 were the only issues.
     Now there is a huge buildup of frost between the ice maker & door

Your thoughts?

BTW - Main control board in rear was replaced due too bad comp. relay. Item 1 & 2 were present before. #3 didn't show until quite a bit of time after board replacement.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Is the fan in the freezer working?Does it seem it be cooling ok?Could the freezer door or refrigerator door been left open over nite?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Flapper in freezer door should close and have no air leaking into freezer.Sounds to me air is leaking in there from somewhere.Or fan is not working.If someone work on that dispenser flapper i would look there .

Offline plumbstar

• VIP Member
All fans are working as far as I know. I replaced the flapper but it didn't seem to make any difference. It seems to maintain the temp in both sides properly. I have a thermometer in both. This has been going on for some time but the frost buildup between door & ice maker has gotten worse. The pressure holding the flapper closed doesn't seem like a lot. There is always sweat at the top of the freezer door when I open it.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Sweat means air is leaking into there maybe from flapper.If you leave freezer door open more then 3 minutes the fan in freezer should come on.I would check that to see if it is.Maybe put a towel or close off were ice comes out flapper maybe from freezer door section duct tape or something and wait over night to see if sweeting goes away and if it does you no its the flapper.

Offline plumbstar

• VIP Member
Fan comes on in exactly 3 min. I'll check the rest.
Thanks.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Because of poor insulation condensation will build in and around the area of the time delay solenoid. The plunger tends to rust and will cause flap to not close tightly. Grab the bottom of the dispenser control front and pull it up and off. Remove wires and 4 screws from plastic housing. You will see the solenoid on the right side. If its rusted up it will be easy to see what I'm talking about. wr62x10055

Offline plumbstar

• VIP Member
The solenoid is rusty but seem to move freely. The whole area was slimy, moldy & overall gross, when I took it all apart to change the flapper disc. I had purchased a new spring for the arm that is connected to flapper, but the screws were too corroded to get out. Any hints on getting the screws out? I know that there is a freezer door moisture kit (wr49x10086) that appears to have a higher wattage than the original. Would that help with the sweating in this area? The kit includes a new solenoid. It also says that you need to replace the dispenser control board as well. I'll try to send some pictures later.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
I see no reason to replace  control board. Them screws can be difficult to remove. Take the proper size screw driver and tap with hammer to seat. This heater should help keep moisture under control. I'm sure spring is ok. Rubber flap can be installed on original flapper door. Solenoid would be my number one suspect.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Rusty or stripped screws? I carry a set of screw removers. They work pretty well on most all kinds of screws.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3-pc-screw-out-174-damaged-screw/p-00952154000P?&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1

Offline plumbstar

• VIP Member
Screw remover looks interesting. I could use it anyway. Thanks!

The only reason i mentioned replacing the control board, is that many part suppliers say you have to replace when replacing the moisture kit.
Is the heater controlled by the control board or is it on all the time? Maybe a timer or thermostat on the board? If it's a higher wattage heater, the timing might be different. I think i read somewhere that the original heater is 3 watts & the replacement is 10 watts

Offline plumbstar

• VIP Member
Has anyone ever installed the moisture kit?

Offline plumbstar

• VIP Member
Here's a pict.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:34:17 PM by plumbstar »

Video: Whirlpool In-Door Ice Maker Fill Cycle

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 9332
Last post September 23, 2008, 05:37:19 PM
by Al Capone
No water from dispenser-ice maker working-replaced valve inlet

Started by Evan

Replies: 2
Views: 3739
Last post August 18, 2007, 05:17:53 PM
by Evan
Door on ice dispenser will not close

Started by dunenuf

Views: 2108
Last post June 21, 2008, 01:26:31 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool F/F in door ice maker "clacking" noises

Started by Dave Walsh

Replies: 9
Views: 4969
Last post July 09, 2008, 06:43:21 AM
by Repair-man
How to replacing water line in freezer door for Ice maker?

Started by jet713

Views: 4975
Last post August 21, 2008, 10:33:33 PM
by BrntToast
Whirlpool regenerator In-Door-Ice maker overfills causes ice cycles

Started by JayM

Views: 2397
Last post September 17, 2008, 08:31:58 AM
by JayM