365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Warrenty Work  (Read 237 times)

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Warrenty Work
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
How do you get it ? The companys I am interested in are Samsung, LG, GE and Whirlpool.

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
Re: Warrenty Work
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Can't help here....never did warranty work, they don't want to pay, you can't mark parts up and too much paperwork.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
You have to approach the companies in question BUT warranty work really doesn't pay the bills .You tend to tread water ,low pay per call ,no profit on parts and  meeting their matrix is a pain in the a$$.i do whirlpool warranty and they are constantly on your case to meet their 2,5 ,80 matrix ,prove proof of insurance ,proof of compensation etc etc .On the upside ,if your really slow with charge calls coming in it gives you something to do .

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
I was interested in warranty work, 'til I spent some time on this board.

I thought it might be cool to be "Factory Authorized."  I also thought it'd be a great way to get training.

But then I heard from people who'd been there.  I also got a chance to look at a few repair manuals.  Really basic info -seems  the good stuff comes from guys w/ experience, not from the help lines.

I have done some work on a one-off basis for home warranty companies.  They've paid me, and paid what I asked.  Seems if they need it done, and there is no one available, they are happy to work with you.

I'm not saying I'd rule it out, but I think I'll focus on building my business first.  After all, if I can get the landlords as customers, then both of us do better than warranty work.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »
Warranty is ok but it's the COD calls that make it worth it.  When I started out, I was doing 95% LG warranty work.  It was crazy as I was learning on the go.  Tech support was great to a point.  But after 8 years, now I'm doing about 10% LG warranty work and 90% COD mostly on LG stuff.  Trying to do some Samsung warranty work but they seem to have a system setup to give all the warranty work to their Master Engineers instead of their ASC's.  So I'm learning as I go but at a slower pace. 

Look into the higher end stuff like Thermador, Viking and Wolf.  The pay should be higher and your clients will be of the higher end.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline Tonycarms

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Appliance Reapir NJ|Refrigerator Repairs Wayne
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:21:01 PM »
Sort of off topic but in looking into providing paid subscriptions for all my techs for all the manufacture's tech support #'s does anybody know where I can sign up for Electrolux and GE? Have wpl bsh and dacor It's getting tough helping all my guys when they get stuck on a job and I'd like to give them every possible chance for a proper diagnosis if they aren't confident.  So any links or phone #'s for paid subscriptions would really be appeciated and hope 2012 was great for everyone and 2013 will be even better :)

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
I have done Electrolux and LG warranty for 2 years. Last month I dropped LG, because they started requiring vendors to do background checks and drug screen for all employees, regardless if self employed or not. I'm not interested in that so away they go. I'm still the only company in this county who will work on their products, its just that now I'll be doing it via COD. I dropped Electrolux this week after another incident where I have to jump through hoops to provide this info or that info...forget that crap!

Frigidaire paid $65 labor and Elect paid $95 labor regardless of how big the job is, you buy the part, they reimburse you (IF you dot every I and cross every T). LG paid $75 labor. I determined that if I did a FRG call and had to order a part, pay my tech for 2 trips to the home, fuel, parts shipping (that's right!), loss of potential COD calls, etc it was costing me money to go fix their crap.

Someone mentioned if your starting out it is good to get in the customers home. I totally agree. Once you get enough COD work to make a living, stop drinking their Coolaide.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Wow!!  You're only getting paid $75 from LG???!!!  I'm currently getting paid $100.00 labor now.  I guess that is what will be on my next contract renewal.  The only thing is that I don't get a whole lot of warranty calls from LG so it's not so bad.  But I do get a ton of referrals from LG as an authorized servicer for any COD calls that come in. 

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
Wild, how do you get to be a LG  authorized service r ?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
About 9 years ago, I started my own business.  At the same time, LG was taking on anyone that could turn a screwdriver.  So I signed up.  I know that LG is still looking for more techs but only to fill the voids in some of the areas that LG doesn't service.  If your area doesn't have an LG servicer, they will sign you on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:03:42 PM by wildimaginations »

All work and no play makes for dull times. Lets party!!!!

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 4
Views: 66
Last post February 28, 2008, 07:51:44 AM
by Repair-man
What brands do you service the most - warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 104
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
by BrntToast
Do you work for a company or work for yourself?

Started by niobrara

Replies: 7
Views: 131
Last post June 06, 2010, 02:20:03 PM
by JWWebster
Do you work on water softeners and/or water heaters?

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 91
Last post January 19, 2011, 07:08:37 PM
by PARTech
How many of you do HVAC work too?

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 160
Last post June 22, 2011, 10:33:00 PM
by krazytech
Your thoughts on GE appliances and GE warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 152
Last post June 03, 2011, 11:34:27 AM
by PARTech