365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Phone Book Ads  (Read 159 times)

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Phone Book Ads
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
Ok how many of you use them ? And what size ads do you run.Mostly rural market for this phone book. I know many say dont use them but in a new start up I want facts. Will the ad pay for its self ? :thanks:

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
Re: Phone Book Ads
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »
We use the book. I feel like if we don't use the phone book we would miss the entire elderly population, who still use phone books and refuse to use technology. I spend roughly $200 a month for a small color ad. One and a half jobs pays for the ad, and roughly 40% of people say they found us in the phone book.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
For about 6 months I asked customers where the found me....internet or yellow pages and about twenty percent said yellow pages.  I don't want to loose twenty percent of my business so the yellow pages stay.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »
30 years working for myself and have been in yellow pages all those years.Were i live you have to be in more then one book because of different counties to get a good coverage .The problem then became is people are funny .They want you to leave in that county so you get a phone number that makes you look local to them and use that number in a certain phone book and have it call forward to your cell phone or answering service or how ever you do it.What kills me is one of the first things most of the time i here is were are you coming from .Or what town do you live in.Its like i can come today in your mind your thinking this why do you care were i come from.If you call sears you can wait a week or more.Another thing about being in yellow pages is .You can have a ad under Refrigerators washer,dryer dishwashers ,ovens and under appliances in the same book and it cost you more by the size of ad or color and so on.Now most service business advertise under appliance repair.We got smarter.You will get mostly older people like dent daddy says. I am not going to advertise this year for the first time because it does not pull that many customers in like the old days as i am turning 60 years old and see it does not work like it used to.But if your starting out i would put a small ad in there and you will get calls.I am down now to $100 a month.And have spend as much as $600 a month in the good old days.Those days are gone.Word of mouth is best.But you do need a way for them to get your phone number.So a small ad i would recommend.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Another things is a lot of people use old yellow pages that they have in there house through the years.Some just throw them away.Mind get delivered in February and you see them on snow banks or getting rain on. Live in New Jersey were taxes are high and cannot wait to get out of here.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:13 PM »
My yellow page ad will be as follows:

AndersenAppliance.com               800-555-1212

One line, gives name, website, and telephone.

The page ad stuff they push like drug dealers.  "Try some!  Its free!"  then when you're hooked, "PAY ME!"

'Course, I'm not opening shop in an area with half a dozen appliance repair guys.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:30:17 AM »
     I've eliminated my phone book ads.   I have run them for the past 9 years,  and they did somewhat of a good job.   But,  what I have noticed,   is that they have become a non-factor.    In my business, anyway.   

Problem is,  where I live,  I was running a smaller leader ad,  (first on page and another one last on page in same book) -  others run 1/2,  1/4 page ads.    We had 25 ads.   It's easy to get lost in the shuffle.  I was getting less and less from the phone book.    My word of mouth has become so good I decided to eliminate the ads  (ran them in 2 books,  ran a combined 800 a month at one point. ).   

I had other guys telling me I was commiting suicide.   But, in fact,  the opposite has happened.   I have more business than I can handle.    I get new customers from many sources.   #1 is word of mouth.   #2 is networking.   I network with several groups,  and get very good results.     #3 is internet.    Get lots of people who find me on google.    #4 is many FREE (yes, I said free) advertising sources.    To name a few,  Cards on corkboards at Supermarkets,  banks, restuarants.    My cards and a  little display ad sit at 14 locations.     Also,  enlist handymen,  other trades guys (plumbers, electricians, remodelers) to throw you jobs.    (this is all part of networking). 

End point........................... Phone book ads may be necessary evil in most locations.    Especially when starting out.   I definately needed them and I got a lot of business from them.    You need a customer base.   But.........................as your customer base grows,   you may find the phone book ads not worth the money you are paying for them.    I just grew tired of sending them checks for 835 a month (that's a LOT OF BEER, JW)  without enough of return.    People all have smart phones now,  and would rather google you than turn pages of a phone book.   We're in a different time now.   

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
Hi Wedgemann,

Tell us about your networking groups....

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
We got a new phone book and guess what? It did not have any white pages. So momma called up the company and got them to send her a white pages phone book. She tossed the yellow pages phone book. Why these guys want to screw up a tried and true thing I do not know. Note to self: Take out ad in white page book  O0
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:02:27 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:10:58 PM »
I think someday the phone book will be a thing of the past, just like the Encyclopedia Britannica.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/after-244-years-encyclopaedia-britannica-stops-the-presses/

My teenage son has never used a phone book and I would guess the same goes for a lot of his friends and they are our future customers.

Mobile devices and the internet are the future and the future is now... ;)

Useful Smart Phone Apps?

Started by ApplianceGuru

Replies: 0
Views: 73
Last post June 20, 2012, 02:32:57 AM
by ApplianceGuru
Phone service?

Started by AJ

Replies: 23
Views: 251
Last post July 25, 2012, 04:15:54 PM
by dab147315
Appliance Blue Book - Job Rate Guide?

Started by AJ

Replies: 62
Views: 951
Last post April 09, 2014, 02:57:32 PM
by Preferred Appliance
Self-employed appliance repair start-up - how to get the phone to ring?

Started by AlphaApp

Replies: 5
Views: 151
Last post March 17, 2013, 03:38:17 PM
by andersenappliance
Cool smart phone app i started using calengoo

Started by ioerror001

Replies: 0
Views: 61
Last post January 08, 2014, 11:27:14 PM
by ioerror001
Quick question about the blue book