365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Greeting the customer  (Read 207 times)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Greeting the customer
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »

I'm somewhat of a fun type of repair technician. I enjoy smiling and making people smile too. So what I do to enjoy the repair job is to humor the customer at the door. Believe it or not, every customer enjoys the laugh and welcomes me in with a big smile.

For example:

If a woman answers the door, I always ask, "Hi, is your parents home?" No matter what age, it will always compliment the lady with that kind of comment. I even had one lady that turned 3 shades of red and welcomed me with open arms.

If a man answers the door, I may say, "Hi, I'm Santa Claus and I'm here to repair your dishwasher." or "I'm from the IRS. Just a reminder to pay your taxes on time." They either tell me I'm at the wrong house or that they need to talk to their accountant first before they let me in or something else comical. Once I get the customer smiling, it seems to relieve the tensions the customer may have about my abilities to repair their appliances.

If the wife walks into the room while the husband is there, usually the husband will introduce her and my response will be,"Oh, I'm sorry but I thought that was your oldest daughter." A lot of times, the wife will tell husband and me, "OK, you got the job!!!"

Another thing I enjoy doing is giving very high estimates and then giving generous discounts. When it's time to give the customer the job estimate, I would say this, "Sir, your washer has a broken coupling and I can fix it today. It will cost $1,000.00 parts and labor... (watch their eyes widen).. but today I'm offering a special discount of $180.00 just for you TODAY." One of the benefits of going at this approach is the customer will not think twice at the 2nd price after hearing the first $1,000.00 estimate. I guess they think that the repair price isn't so bad.

This is what I do to almost every customer I meet and it seems to have increased my business every year for the last 8 years. On top of that, I have fun with the customer.

Do any of you have any interesting ideas that I could use.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Re: Greeting the customer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
I greet the customer ,do a mini interagation to find out exact symptoms and try to get down to business . Nothing wrong with wildimaginations approach but its not my style . I'm certainly not shy but have learned over the years that some customers are not amused with the comic approach .

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »
A lot of it depends upon the customer.  If they're in a bad mood, humor can fall flat real quick, though it often helps to defuse tension, as you say.

I always smile, look them in the eye, and hand them my card.  I ask them how they heard about me (it's all word of mouth, since I have not advertised yet) then I say something complimentary about whoever it was who recommended me. 

I always ask again what is wrong with the machine - the stories often change.

If they hang over my shoulder during the repair, I explain what I'm looking for, and what this or that is, what it does, and why.  Mostly they don't care, but it convinces them that I know my stuff.

Wrapping up, I clean the area, gather my stuff, and thank them, after asking if there is anything else I can do.  Then I encourage them to call me if they have any more problems.

Sometimes they want  to chat, and I am very agreeable with them on whatever subject.  I'm pretty good at that, a skill I picked up in the restaurant business.  In restaurants, people tip because they like you.  If you build a mini-relationship with them, you get more money.  They will tip more if they think you are "like them," so no dogmatic statements about politics, religion, or sports.  Whatever you do, don't oppose them, or argue.  If you do, then you are disagreeable, and they'll be unsatisfied.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
See what you did? I rang the door bell this morning and said "Avon calling". Customer loved it and stuck his hand out. Ofcourse we don't always feel this way. Sometimes we hate their guts, we just don't let it show. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »
     I always try to feel out the customer when I arrive.    Some like to chat,  some don't.    I can be adaptable.   If they want to talk,   I can chat on a variety of subjects to their liking,  but I agree with anderson - politics,  sports,  etc.   your better off being neutral.     I'm more or less an ear for them to unload their problems on.     

I had a long time customer today,  she called this morning and said she had an emergency. --  her Cabrio washer was broke.    She has 4 kids and she washes 3 loads a day.    From what she told me on the phone,  I figured pump was bad.    I was right,  impeller was broken on pump.    Plus, removed 4 socks from outer tub.    Well, I got there this afternoon and got it fixed for her.   She was distraught about her husband.   Thought he was cheating.    Sooooooo......... while I'm working on the washer,  I had to hear her story.   She said she loved when I come over because she feels she can talk to me about anything..    After hearing her story,   I told her maybe she was wrong,  and too suspicious.    He may very well be playing cards and not out with women all night but who the hell knows?    Sometimes,  I feel like Dear Abby!   

Key is (I feel) to play each customer situation by ear --- and adapt to each one differently.    Make them happy,   they will call and sing your praise to their friends.     and co-workers.   and neighbors,  etc.  I don't do too much comedy,   just plain,  simple communicating.     Every once in a while,  I'll tell a kid around depending on the customer.    It depends on the person.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »
Sometimes,  I feel like Dear Abby!   

lol... me to

This is going to sound strange, but it seems if I grow a beard more people tell me about there personal problems.

How strange is that?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
If you dye your beard white and look like Santa Claus, you'll probably get their Christmas wish list too.  LOL

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:53:24 AM »
I had a beard for a while many years ago.    Makes you look wise.   (or in my case lazy,  didn't feel like shaving for a while LOL.    Wish I got paid like a Psychiatrist though ................... Hmmmmmmmmmm
Service man Psychriatist - charge 150 an hour for session,  fix the machine for free.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:59:57 AM »
Hmmm... that's a thought.  Wear a white doctor's lab coat and carry a stethoscope around your neck while holding your tool bag.  That would make you look very professional.  haha!!!  Then you could charge $150.00 per hour.  Don't forget to have the customer cough when doing that physical.

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »
I play it by ear as well but find humor can eleviate tension.  One line I like to use is:

"ya know, I'm a little like the fire and police departement in that I'm the last person you want to call but your always happy when I show up."  and... " Not that I don't enjoy seeing you but hopefully it will be a while before we talk again :) .  Any problems please feel free to call" 

This always works for me and the customer has always ended up with a smile.

just cause i always post silly customer stories

Started by BrntToast

Replies: 1
Views: 52
Last post February 21, 2008, 07:14:55 AM
by whirlpooltech
Customer relations

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 58
Last post January 10, 2011, 08:09:04 AM
by PARTech