365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: How Far Are You Willing To Go...?  (Read 172 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
How Far Are You Willing To Go...?
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
Great topic title, huh?  ;D

I told a lady that I'd install a wall oven for her.  Turns out that the wall oven is a bit small for the hole that the oven its replacing sits in.  So I'm stuck filling the gap with 2x4's, then trimming around it w/matching oak trim, cutting that to size, mitering, detailing, etc.

I have a handyman back ground, so I've done these things before, but if I'm an appliance guy, when should I call it quits?

I stick the thing in the hole, and it is too small. (save the smart comments  ;D )

So I figure out what I'd do to make it work for me.

That means driving 30 miles to get the stuff, and loading up handyman tools so I can get the job done.  After all that, I can't finish during work hours, so I have to go back tomorrow. 

Anyway, I assume I'll do a great job, and she'll be happy, but what'll I charge?

Do I just say it costs X, Pay Me!

Do I eat this to help her out / get good word of mouth, or do I say "Not My Job" from the get-go?

What do you guys think?

How far are you willing to go?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: How Far Are You Willing To Go...?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »
My background is appliance repairs.  I don't have the tools or knowledge how to cut wood to fill in the gaps nor do I want to make the openings wider.  I always refer them to someone else who knows what they're doing.  I won't even do dishwasher change outs even if the opening is all the same.  I will remove them for repair but will not swap them out.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »
I also just stick with appliance repair. That's great if you have wood working skills like that, but I don't.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
I stick to appliance and auto repair.  If someone needs custom wood work, I refer them to my brother... He's the carpenter/architect in the Family.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
Well, the job turned out ok, but it was a bit of a pain.  I didn't take a picture.

I would have liked to pass on it, but I don't think she could have got anyone to do it.  Work is work.

It's be easier if I had my handyman tool set with me.

Dishwasher installs or swaps always seem to be a pain to me too.  What is a good price to quote for one of those?

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »
Real high so you don't get the job .I hate dishwasher swaps too.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
I don't know why, but I like dishwasher installs.  I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.  I condemned an old Frigidaire today.  I just know he's going to get a tall tub and call me up to install.  The water shutoff valve is located on the back wall behind the dishwasher.  There's no way that will work with a tall tub, I'll have to relocate it.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 04:16:46 AM »
I stick with appliance repair,  but I have installed cooktops in wood/formica counters.   I carry a roto-zip,  a sawzall, a jigsaw,  and some hand tools/    But, I don't do major repairs like you did.   I might adjust an opening,  or carve out a little wood.    Thing is,  you probably didn't charge enough to make the job worthwile.   Or........maybe you did..    A carpenter would have charged several hundred dollars for the woodwork at least.   Plus,  I always quote about 175 for an oven because I really don't want to do it.   So I'm hoping you got at least 350 for all that or more.   

Dishwashers I still do,   but only if I condemn one and they really want me instead of someone they don't know to install it.   I have one first thing on monday,  an old Kitchen Aid with solid piped in copper (pain),  and I know I have to install valve,  etc.   but I told her with the new Stainless line and valve and such,  200 bucks.   she said fine,  so at least Im making some money.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
I do dishwashers and microhoods all the time. Microwaves are easy money. Almost all of them around here are replacements. In and out in about a half an hour. Dishwashers take about an hour and are much easier now that I use a stainless braided line. I used to install cooktops and wall
ovens but they never just swap out. The cutouts are never quite the same and it requires a totally different batch of tools. There is a company called Micro-trim that makes trim rings for these products and they work really well. I don't do these installs today because I don't need the work
or the headaches.

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
I didn't get paid enough, but she's happy, and I didn't have anything else scheduled. 

Thanks for the heads up w/ micro-trim, Bailey.  I've added it to my bookmarks.