Author Topic: ge profile washer GE wpre8150h1wt wont agitate or spin  (Read 3061 times)

Offline waldipup

• VIP Member
Re: ge profile washer GE wpre8150h1wt wont agitate or spin
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »
OK , got my friend to check resistance at mode shifter terminals on motor , he says it's zero , that there is an open .

I guess it's time to throw in the towel on this one , thanks to all for the help and patience .

Offline doghouse6

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »
Hi

Please keep in mind I had similar issuies and both the motor and the shifter were bad even though the ge washer was only 3 years old My WASHER WAS NEVER UNDER WATER .ThESE HYDRO WAVE WASHERS ARE A BAD DESIGN I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE PRODUCT AGiain

Dave

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Get a Roper direct drive washer: $359 at Lowe's today. Check it out: ROPER WASHER
Perfect washer for the DIY guy. Easy to repair. Parts are readily available. Lots of online how to videos and plenty support from folk at ApplianceJunk.  :cheers: O0
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:37:32 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
That is aVMW washer JW.But a good price.Those direct drive are N.LA.First call tomorrow is direct drive thank god and a coupler job.Love those.

Offline waldipup

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
"ThESE HYDRO WAVE WASHERS ARE A BAD DESIGN I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE PRODUCT AGiain
Dave"

Not sure if mine was a hydrowave - ge profile from 08 with the full size agitator - but either way , it sure didn't measure up to my 20 odd year old SPEED QUEEN - both SS tub , but the SQ HUGE , bought used for 90 bucks 10-15 years ago , replaced bad dial knob from scrap parts , and never had a problem , washed King sized blankets regularly for years - the first time I tried to in the GE Profile , the agitator tore up the blanket  :'(  - and get this -

4 yr. old GE was under 14" saltwater and was dead on arrival .

20 yr. old SQ was COMPLETELY SUBMERGED in saltwater ??? - didn't even think of trying it out - but when I did - IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!! O0

Eventually conked out , but not before allowing me to wash around 15 loads of clothes that had been partially in the saltwater .
And only then did it die . Almost eery , like a Twighlite Zone episode , it just wouldn't let go .

Since giving up on the GE Profile , I'd opted to look for a coupl-a year old "quality" top loader instead of a basic new one - and each time I found a "good deal" , my checking reviews found that all the newer expensive machines were garbage - crap :tickedoff: . They all lasted a few years - if that - and then became not worth the cost of repairs . And the "extended warranty's" were in many cases useless in practise .

I became so disgusted , that I eventually opted (temporarily) for a FREE 10 or 15 year old Kenmore 110 model which , despite being a bit smaller capacity than I was looking for , WORKS LIKE A CHARM - it's sort of like getting a no rust , low miles 64 Chevy 6cyl. Nova  :).

Can anyone here imagine a 2 year old machine today being around 10-15 years from now?
They used to make quality , now they make hi-falutin , highly sophisticated , suavely designed , digital electronic G-AR-B-A-G-E .

Can anyone recommend a direction to look for a decent quality top loader that will last trouble free for more than a few months or years?

Thanks . (Gonna take a look at that Roper VMW suggestion) .

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »
The model number given in the link shows it to have a drive couplin: Ok I see what it did I went to another site and yup it is a VMW. Dang we better get used to these. At least fearless Leader has a dayum nice page on em: VMW VIDEOS

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:55:29 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »
The hydrowave is a piss poor piece of $h1!!, however the regular ge top load is not a bad machine compared to the VMw. The direct drive was phased out a couple years ago. Don't understand why, as wpl has to be selling alot of repair parts. I guess these greedy cheap corporate jerks are not (like politicians) making enough money off the working man. Very sad. >:(

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
If you're going to get used, look for a Maytag Dependable Care.  These 2-belt washers are the best washers ever made.  They quit making them in 2006 when Whirlpool took over the company. Here's the serial number codes so you know how old it is.

Offline waldipup

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »
Here's a couple I'm considering , given the paltry reliability of the new ones :)

http://longisland.craigslist.org/atq/3421014234.html

http://longisland.craigslist.org/atq/3486450075.html

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
The direct drive was phased out a couple years ago. Don't understand why, as wpl has to be selling alot of repair parts. I guess these greedy cheap corporate jerks are not (like politicians) making enough money off the working man. Very sad. >:(

Don't blame the manufacturers, blame the federal government's energy star standards. The new requirements in 2007 started the transition to these new washers and even stricter standards for washing machines were introduced in 2011.  This year, new standards were introduced for dishwashers reducing the number of qualifying units from 80% to 25%. It's ridiculous. They think we are saving all this energy and water not taking into account the number of people who are having to wash their clothes twice, run extra cycles...etc to get their clothes clean, not to mention running the dishwasher twice, flushing the toilet twice... ::)

Eric

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
O but I do blame the manufactures, the quality of manufacturing is silly. I agree the government helped start this but they could still make better quality units.Look at what some of the CEO;s are paid.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »
Look at Speed Queen, proof they can make a good machine. It may not be super energy saver but other new machines having a life of say 5 years will never even offset the energy it took to build the machine or recycle it at the end. Man I miss the Dependable Care Maytags!

Offline waldipup

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
While efficiency requirements are problematic , they are no excuse for the garbage they make today .
Electronic boards repeatedly defective are manufacturer based , not efficiency standard based . Ditto a myriad of faulty and short lived parts .

Like I really need an electronic washine machine to add to breakdowns , as if simple mechanical dials and operation are too much trouble in exchange for many years of reliability . I need a several hundred dollar per repair electronic control design to render the machine a throw away at the first breakdown . 

whirlpool washer will agitate wont spin

Started by whit

Replies: 1
Views: 1818
Last post November 15, 2008, 03:07:35 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer wont spin or agitate already replaced coupling what else??

Started by crazy7605150

Replies: 10
Views: 4251
Last post October 12, 2009, 10:53:21 PM
by Washaman
Whilrpool Washer wont spin but will agitate and drain

Started by texriley

Replies: 10
Views: 3738
Last post September 19, 2010, 12:47:02 AM
by mattlwil
110.24934200 Kenmore washer wont agitate or spin

Started by acunningham7513

Replies: 1
Views: 1173
Last post October 30, 2010, 03:41:18 PM
by AJ
kitchenaid washer wont spin, drain, or agitate

Started by nilremmai

Replies: 3
Views: 1095
Last post April 02, 2012, 08:42:35 PM
by bigbuck
Model LAT9306AAE Washer wont spin or agitate...

Started by ddnw

Replies: 5
Views: 1322
Last post June 14, 2012, 11:43:39 AM
by JWWebster