365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: Lowe's  (Read 92 times)

Offline ScottyMo1

• Technician
Lowe's
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »
Just curious, has anyone heard any rumors of Lowe's starting or buying an existing appliance service. I have heard that it's being discussed, but that's just a rumor at this point.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: Lowe's
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
Lowes is nationwide.  Who they going to buy nationwide...Sears?
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »
Heard that Sears is slowly shutting down all of it's retail stores in all of the malls.  They will let their leases expire and move out by 2014.  They will start converting all their techs to A&E by that time and then sell the entire repair service department to someone like N.E.W.  Sears is going back to the small store franchises and sell only hardware items like Craftsman tools, appliances, some electronics, gardening equipment, etc.

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »
Interesting.

My first thought would be why spin off the appliance repair, if you are still selling appliances.  I can see closing out bath linens, etc.  But sears does a lot of repairs for their lawn mowers, exercise equipment, etc.

It makes sense to get out of the shopping malls.  If you can slim your operations and do it in a smaller store, then that is what I would do.  I have a feeling the the malls will become a cross between a ghost town and a hell-hole in the future.

As the economy continues its downward slide (does anyone really think it'll get better?), the smaller mall stores will go belly up, leaving the weight on the anchor stores.  Shoppers will move out, and homeless & gangs will move in.  The shopping experience will be evading human excrement on the floor, and criminals in the parking lot.

How will Sears or Macy's or any of these places pay for the full price of insurance and security for the mall acreage (or even to keep the lights on in the parking lot) after Wet Seal, Zales, and the food court die?  Here are some reviews for a mall I knew as a kid.  Even then it was filled with gang-bangers.  They did a re-fit, and the reviews (from hard core shoppers) aren't impressive.  There is a mall in Oakland that basically closed up, and the county moved their offices there.  Its reviews are pitiful.

Sears might be wise to capitalize on the Showrooming phenomenon by just having displays of stuff that only sold through their chain, ordered online or on site, and delivered through their locations.  Best stores is bankrupt, but they did something like this at one time.  With Amazon getting nailed for sales taxes more broadly (a trend that'll diminish on-line savings), Sears could compete by following the Best model.  Limited showroom, good distribution logistics.

Anyway, it is raining here, and work is slow.

It'll be interesting to see what the municipalities will do with the empty malls that will fall into their lap with the ongoing commercial real estate slump.  What a headache.  I hope they saved up some of those property and sales taxes!  ;D

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
Who knows what's going on... They tell us we have to sell, sell, sell to "secure our future". Otherwise we'll be fired and good luck getting a job at mcdonalds. ::)

There's been rumors that they want out of the repair business, but nothing ever happens. 

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
Interesting.   I know a couple of sears techs in my area,  they are not happy campers.    People are sick of paying premium prices for the same service Myself and other techs like me can provide at more reasonable prices.     I don't know why LOWES would want to get involved with the service end of it.   They sell the stuff and it's someone else's problem.   I know one thing.   It won't impact me or others like me who have our customer base set up good.   You guys have to get out of there before they start cutting. 

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

does anyone do extended warranty for Lowe's?

Started by helpful Hal

Replies: 10
Views: 247
Last post August 16, 2014, 04:44:54 PM
by rockinrobin