Author Topic: Seeking Control Panel for AEW4530DDB  (Read 1529 times)

Offline TexMark

• VIP Member
Seeking Control Panel for AEW4530DDB
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »
OK, once you've stopped laughing and are back in your chair....

Yes, I know Whirlpool has stopped production/supply on part number 5765M471-60 (Whirlpool #74008257).  I've done the searches and calls to a handfull of parts houses.  If anyone has an avenue to find this part or ship it off for repair, I'd be much obliged.  I purchased this unit in July 2006 in a pair; this one having the convection oven options and the other being non-convection.  They look real nice, side by side and centered beneath the Amana gas cooktop, but will look like sh!t if I cannot get this one working again and am forced to replace it with a non-match to the paired unit.  So, my only option will be to replace both, unless we come up with another option.  That is, if I cannot get a working control panel, but can find a panel for the non-convection model (AEW3530DDB), do I have the option of putting the non-convection control panel in the convect unit, knowing that the convection features will not be available, but at least I'd have two functional units?

On another note, and it's my opportunity to vent frustration over this issue, I notice the forums for Maytag/Amana/Whirlpool?etc have more than twice the treads as the LG and Fridgidaire forums.  Is that indicative of anything regarding reliability and seviceability standards?  In other words, does it suggest LG and Fridgidaire are significantly better products?  Unless someone can convince me, otherwise, I'll NEVER own another Whirlpool/Amana/Maytag product, and will attempt to do proper due diligence to avoid buying products under a different name with Whirlpool parts.  It's shameful that I cannot find a replacement part for an item purchased, new, barely over 6 years ago.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
Re: Seeking Control Panel for AEW4530DDB
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
Tex, to anwser your question, there are more Whirlpool & Maytag products out there than LG & Frigidaire.
Now, about your control, There is a company in Austin (Fix Your Board. Com) 512 355 1108 that can probably rebuild your control. Give them a call with the part number and they will tell you if they can, but I would bet they can. They are good people and have done 4 or 5 obsolete boards for me and they back up their work.
Try 'em', you'll like 'em'!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:42:19 PM »
The part he is talking about, 5765M471-60 (Whirlpool #74008257) is a panel with just the push buttons on it. Does FixYourBoard.com repair them too?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
Didn't look to see that, AJ. You know the "assume" thing, he said he bought it in '06 so, I assumed, :oops: it was digital. I gave him their phone number, so he could talk it over with them, they may be able to repair it. Thanks for point that out!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »
The oven is digital, but the part he needs is just the user interface/buttons.
Anyway FixYourBoard.com does provide a great service. Notice our link at the bottom of their website. :)

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »
Guess I just "assumed" :oops:  too much. Not knowing what issues he is having, I guess I shouldn't assume, sorry my bad!

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:17 PM »
Just saw the other post with the same model #, that was good advice replace the module, keypad is probably OK.

Offline TexMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
I called and left a detailed message with the folks in Austin.  (Not much hope, but maybe will get lucky.)

So, I'm preparing for no sulution to get the keypad fixed.  What about the idea of taking a keypad from a non-convection, model AEW3530DDB, and plugging it in.  Yes, I'll not have the convection features, but if I can get two working ovens, at least it's better than one.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
TexMark want make you think touch tone pad is bad and its not the module ?Like Earl Dryer says. :popcorn:

Offline TexMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
Well, I have two opinions so far.  Earl Dryer suspects the control module (unit with two circuit boards that the control panel (keypad) plugs into with the two ribbon connectors) and in another thread I got this from AJ, "I would replace the control panel first as it's most likely the problem."  That thread in on this board at:

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=10962.0

In the context of that discussion, I asked a pointed question and I believe AJ referenced the keypad as the "control panel", as is in drawings on the apliancepartspros.com web site.  This issue is not uncommon and easily found on the web, and described with the same symptoms I have.  In fact, I found a Craigslist posting from a person in Oregon who replaced the circuit boards (module) first on his AEW4630 double-wall oven set (part number 74008880), but the problem wasn't corrected until he replaced thh keypad.  So, he's trying to sell the new module for $300.

Here's that ad: http://medford.craigslist.org/app/3419590299.html

I've seen other stories, like the one where the homeowner had a power outage and their keypad went out, which is exactly when I started to have problems.  I've yet to find a story where anyone fixed their issues with the module replacement, and it sure is odd that an outfit in Kansas City is advertising new modules for $45 each for the same part numbers I see on my module: 00N21615422 or (Maytag) 8507P287-60.  My guess is they are having a hard time finding buyers.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
If you have a ohm meter you could test the buttons as show in the service manual.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=407

Or maybe try the panel from your other oven, just a thought.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
I called and left a detailed message with the folks in Austin.  (Not much hope, but maybe will get lucky.)

Did you ever hear back from them? What did they have to say?

control panel clock and oven will not work

Started by Pens Fan

Replies: 3
Views: 3213
Last post November 04, 2008, 06:38:02 PM
by Pens Fan
Maytag Ceramic Cooktop Range digital control panel display is stuck

Started by wghman

Replies: 2
Views: 2636
Last post November 02, 2008, 07:39:21 AM
by wghman
Built in Dbl Oven, Control Panel Zotzed

Started by Tinka

Replies: 5
Views: 4710
Last post November 10, 2008, 08:51:41 PM
by Tinka
majic chef cook stove control panel

Started by txsaltydog

Replies: 1
Views: 1427
Last post March 24, 2009, 06:23:05 AM
by Repair-man
Jen Air double oven replaced control panel - still having problems

Started by mikevalin

Replies: 1
Views: 1863
Last post May 07, 2009, 09:31:04 PM
by Repair-man
8300441 Whirlpool Oven Control panel assy w/membrane, switch (white)

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4212
Last post October 03, 2009, 02:58:45 PM
by AJ